Scheduled Tasks - Permissions

April 26, 2005 8:56:10 AM

I am the Administrator and only user of my Win XP Pro computer. I have many
tasks set up that I copied from my old computer and so I know they run fine
but none of them start on this computer. When I open them up and check them
out, they are set up correctly. I then type in my (administrator) password
and get the following error:

"An error has occurred while attempting to set task account information.
The specific error is: 0x80070005: Access is denied. You do not have
permission to perform the requested operation."

Since I'm the only user/administrator, how can this be? If I try to set up
a new task using Add Scheduled Task, I get this error:

"The new task has been created, but may not run because the account
information could not be set. The specific error is 0x80070005: Access is
denied. Try using the Task page Browse button to locate the application"

I really depend on Task Scheduler to keep my computer running smoothly. Any
idea how I can fix this problem?

Thank you,
Peggy
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 6:45:29 PM

Thanks, Uncle John. The problem is when I right click Scheduled Tasks or
Control Panel or anything else in the Control Panel Folder, Properties is
not listed. Any other ideas?

Peggy
April 26, 2005 8:02:26 PM

Peggy,
"Properties" is never shown when right clicking Control Panel because it
is not a normal folder. The error you are getting when you try to insert the
password in scheduler is a WMI error so you may be able to fix it by using
the Group Policy Editor.

If you right click a specific task do you get the error message?
-
Uncle John

"Peggy Schaefer" <pschaefer@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Uncle John. The problem is when I right click Scheduled Tasks or
> Control Panel or anything else in the Control Panel Folder, Properties is
> not listed. Any other ideas?
>
> Peggy

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:34:01 PM

I have the same problem. See Knowledge Base article 884573. It suggests a
workaround, but the policy editor gpedit.msc is not included with Win/XP
Home. I am unsure how to go about getting the hotfix without incurring a
support charge as my Win/XP came preinstalled on my machine and is not
eligible for direct support from Microsoft. Catch 22!

!