Scheduled Tasks - Permissions

I am the Administrator and only user of my Win XP Pro computer. I have many
tasks set up that I copied from my old computer and so I know they run fine
but none of them start on this computer. When I open them up and check them
out, they are set up correctly. I then type in my (administrator) password
and get the following error:

"An error has occurred while attempting to set task account information.
The specific error is: 0x80070005: Access is denied. You do not have
permission to perform the requested operation."

Since I'm the only user/administrator, how can this be? If I try to set up
a new task using Add Scheduled Task, I get this error:

"The new task has been created, but may not run because the account
information could not be set. The specific error is 0x80070005: Access is
denied. Try using the Task page Browse button to locate the application"

I really depend on Task Scheduler to keep my computer running smoothly. Any
idea how I can fix this problem?

Thank you,
Peggy
4 answers Last reply
More about scheduled tasks permissions

    Peggy

    You need to repair your Folder Permissions

    see this Microsoft document

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418&sd=tech

    --
    Uncle John

    Thanks, Uncle John. The problem is when I right click Scheduled Tasks or
    Control Panel or anything else in the Control Panel Folder, Properties is
    not listed. Any other ideas?

    Peggy

    Peggy,
    "Properties" is never shown when right clicking Control Panel because it
    is not a normal folder. The error you are getting when you try to insert the
    password in scheduler is a WMI error so you may be able to fix it by using
    the Group Policy Editor.

    If you right click a specific task do you get the error message?
    -
    Uncle John

    "Peggy Schaefer" <pschaefer@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Uncle John. The problem is when I right click Scheduled Tasks or
    > Control Panel or anything else in the Control Panel Folder, Properties is
    > not listed. Any other ideas?
    >
    > Peggy

    I have the same problem. See Knowledge Base article 884573. It suggests a
    workaround, but the policy editor gpedit.msc is not included with Win/XP
    Home. I am unsure how to go about getting the hotfix without incurring a
    support charge as my Win/XP came preinstalled on my machine and is not
    eligible for direct support from Microsoft. Catch 22!

    "Peggy Schaefer" wrote:

    > I am the Administrator and only user of my Win XP Pro computer. I have many
    > tasks set up that I copied from my old computer and so I know they run fine
    > but none of them start on this computer. When I open them up and check them
    > out, they are set up correctly. I then type in my (administrator) password
    > and get the following error:
    >
    > "An error has occurred while attempting to set task account information.
    > The specific error is: 0x80070005: Access is denied. You do not have
    > permission to perform the requested operation."
    >
    > Since I'm the only user/administrator, how can this be? If I try to set up
    > a new task using Add Scheduled Task, I get this error:
    >
    > "The new task has been created, but may not run because the account
    > information could not be set. The specific error is 0x80070005: Access is
    > denied. Try using the Task page Browse button to locate the application"
    >
    > I really depend on Task Scheduler to keep my computer running smoothly. Any
    > idea how I can fix this problem?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Peggy

Computers Permissions Windows XP