Not recognizing I am administrator

A new problem (2 weeks old). First it occurred with Shockwave and now with
Rhapsody. My user login is an administrator (me) on my home computer. When
I have downloaded and went to install new programs or updates to old programs
I get the error message that says I need to be administator in order to have
access to the computer system. I just created a new user (thinking maybe
some how my user login got corrupted) and set it up as administrator - and -
I went back to the website downloaded the update and when it went to install
I got the same error message.

How can I fix the corruption/error? In advance ---- thanks for your help
and time.
Kevin

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sign in as The Administrator not as you, an administrator; there is a
difference.

"Icubud" <Icubud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A new problem (2 weeks old). First it occurred with Shockwave and now with
> Rhapsody. My user login is an administrator (me) on my home computer.
> When
> I have downloaded and went to install new programs or updates to old
> programs
> I get the error message that says I need to be administator in order to
> have
> access to the computer system. I just created a new user (thinking maybe
> some how my user login got corrupted) and set it up as administrator -
> and -
> I went back to the website downloaded the update and when it went to
> install
> I got the same error message.
>
> How can I fix the corruption/error? In advance ---- thanks for your help
> and time.
> Kevin

OK - how do I do that?
I have always signed in on my login/user which is an admin and not had a
problem - in 3 years. So is there another administrator login that I am not
aware of?

"Jerry" wrote:

> Sign in as The Administrator not as you, an administrator; there is a
> difference.
>
> "Icubud" <Icubud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A new problem (2 weeks old). First it occurred with Shockwave and now with
> > Rhapsody. My user login is an administrator (me) on my home computer.
> > When
> > I have downloaded and went to install new programs or updates to old
> > programs
> > I get the error message that says I need to be administator in order to
> > have
> > access to the computer system. I just created a new user (thinking maybe
> > some how my user login got corrupted) and set it up as administrator -
> > and -
> > I went back to the website downloaded the update and when it went to
> > install
> > I got the same error message.
> >
> > How can I fix the corruption/error? In advance ---- thanks for your help
> > and time.
> > Kevin

If I understand this correctly when I am logged on my computer (which my User
ID is an administrator profile) that is what it means to be an administrator
on your computer.

Article ID : 290109
Last Review : January 17, 2002
Revision : 1.0

MORE INFORMATION
The Administrator account is not displayed in User Accounts unless the
computer is in Safe mode. To change the password for the Administrator
account:
1. Click Start, click Turn Off Computer, and then click Restart.
2. After the computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), press F8, and
then click Safe mode.

NOTE: If you have difficulty getting to the Safe mode menu command, press F8
repeatedly after you turn on the computer.
3. Log on as an Administrator, or with another account that has
Administrator permissions.
4. Click Start, click Settings, click Control Panel, and then click User
Accounts.
5. Click the Administrator icon.
6. Click Create a Password or Change my password.
7. Type a password for the account, and then retype the password to confirm
it.
8. Type a hint to help you remember the password in the event that you
forget it.
9. Click Create Password or Change Password.

"Icubud" wrote:

> OK - how do I do that?
> I have always signed in on my login/user which is an admin and not had a
> problem - in 3 years. So is there another administrator login that I am not
> aware of?
>

> "Jerry" wrote:
>
> > Sign in as The Administrator not as you, an administrator; there is a
> > difference.
> >
> > "Icubud" <Icubud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >A new problem (2 weeks old). First it occurred with Shockwave and now with
> > > Rhapsody. My user login is an administrator (me) on my home computer.
> > > When
> > > I have downloaded and went to install new programs or updates to old
> > > programs
> > > I get the error message that says I need to be administator in order to
> > > have
> > > access to the computer system. I just created a new user (thinking maybe
> > > some how my user login got corrupted) and set it up as administrator -
> > > and -
> > > I went back to the website downloaded the update and when it went to
> > > install
> > > I got the same error message.
> > >
> > > How can I fix the corruption/error? In advance ---- thanks for your help
> > > and time.
> > > Kevin

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Boot the computer normally, at the log-in screen do a CTRL-ALT-DEL either
two or three times, a new screen appears where you can fill in the blocks to
sign in as ADMINISTRATOR (may also require password, if you used one when
you installed XP), now you will be at the Administrator desktop, not your
user/administartor desktop.

The above is only for XP Pro - you ahve to boot into Safe Mode to sign in as
the ADMINISTRATOR using XP Home Edition.

> If I understand this correctly when I am logged on my computer (which my
> User
> ID is an administrator profile) that is what it means to be an
> administrator
> on your computer.
>
> Article ID : 290109
> Last Review : January 17, 2002
> Revision : 1.0
>
> MORE INFORMATION
> The Administrator account is not displayed in User Accounts unless the
> computer is in Safe mode. To change the password for the Administrator
> account:
> 1. Click Start, click Turn Off Computer, and then click Restart.
> 2. After the computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), press F8,
> and
> then click Safe mode.
>
> NOTE: If you have difficulty getting to the Safe mode menu command, press
> F8
> repeatedly after you turn on the computer.
> 3. Log on as an Administrator, or with another account that has
> Administrator permissions.
> 4. Click Start, click Settings, click Control Panel, and then click User
> Accounts.
> 5. Click the Administrator icon.
> 6. Click Create a Password or Change my password.
> 7. Type a password for the account, and then retype the password to
> confirm
> it.
> 8. Type a hint to help you remember the password in the event that you
> forget it.
> 9. Click Create Password or Change Password.
>

> "Icubud" wrote:
>
>> OK - how do I do that?
>> I have always signed in on my login/user which is an admin and not had a
>> problem - in 3 years. So is there another administrator login that I am
>> not
>> aware of?
>>

>> "Jerry" wrote:
>>
>> > Sign in as The Administrator not as you, an administrator; there is a
>> > difference.
>> >
>> > "Icubud" <Icubud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I did this and received the error message of
"You do not have access to make the required system configuration
modifications.
Please rerun this application from an administrator's account."

"Jerry" wrote:

> Boot the computer normally, at the log-in screen do a CTRL-ALT-DEL either
> two or three times, a new screen appears where you can fill in the blocks to
> sign in as ADMINISTRATOR (may also require password, if you used one when
> you installed XP), now you will be at the Administrator desktop, not your
> user/administartor desktop.
>
> The above is only for XP Pro - you ahve to boot into Safe Mode to sign in as
> the ADMINISTRATOR using XP Home Edition.
>
> "Icubud" <Icubud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If I understand this correctly when I am logged on my computer (which my
> > User
> > ID is an administrator profile) that is what it means to be an
> > administrator
> > on your computer.
> >
> > Article ID : 290109
> > Last Review : January 17, 2002
> > Revision : 1.0
> >
> > MORE INFORMATION
> > The Administrator account is not displayed in User Accounts unless the
> > computer is in Safe mode. To change the password for the Administrator
> > account:
> > 1. Click Start, click Turn Off Computer, and then click Restart.
> > 2. After the computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), press F8,
> > and
> > then click Safe mode.
> >
> > NOTE: If you have difficulty getting to the Safe mode menu command, press
> > F8
> > repeatedly after you turn on the computer.
> > 3. Log on as an Administrator, or with another account that has
> > Administrator permissions.
> > 4. Click Start, click Settings, click Control Panel, and then click User
> > Accounts.
> > 5. Click the Administrator icon.
> > 6. Click Create a Password or Change my password.
> > 7. Type a password for the account, and then retype the password to
> > confirm
> > it.
> > 8. Type a hint to help you remember the password in the event that you
> > forget it.
> > 9. Click Create Password or Change Password.
> >

> > "Icubud" wrote:
> >
> >> OK - how do I do that?
> >> I have always signed in on my login/user which is an admin and not had a
> >> problem - in 3 years. So is there another administrator login that I am
> >> not
> >> aware of?

Question - In another newsgroup they recommend uninstalling SP2 and then
putting the XP disk in and run a repair. That sure seems drastic. What do
you think?