win98 comps are not communicating with xp

Sam

i am using windows 2003 domain with xp and 98 clients, my win 98 machines are
not communicationg with xp, but xp can access win98, why its happening and
whatz the solution

LeeG

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2004

I don't know if this will help but I do know that win 98 does not recognise
the NTFS file system that XP uses. can this be your problem?

Lee

"Sam" wrote:

> i am using windows 2003 domain with xp and 98 clients, my win 98 machines are
> not communicationg with xp, but xp can access win98, why its happening and
> whatz the solution

If you were once able to communicate between the Win98 and XP systems, but
just recently it stopped working, check your most recent security updates on
the XP system(s). I've had XP systems receive the latest security patches
and no longer be able to communicate with Win98/95/2000 systems (patches and
unpatched). I think the patch that caused my particular issue was KB885250.
Once removed, the systems could communicate without issues. This may not be
related to your particular issue, you never know...

Cheers!

"Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am using windows 2003 domain with xp and 98 clients, my win 98 machines
>are
> not communicationg with xp, but xp can access win98, why its happening and
> whatz the solution

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:00:02 -0700, "LeeG"

>I don't know if this will help but I do know that win 98 does not recognise
>the NTFS file system that XP uses. can this be your problem?

No, in that accessing a system via LAN does not involve the file
system (with one exception). Each PC accesses its own file system, so
the type of file system is transparent to other PCs on the LAN.

The exception is if you are running on NTFS and want to access an ADS
(Alternate Data Stream) of a file on a nother PC. That works only if
the other PC is also running NTFS.

>"Sam" wrote:

>> i am using windows 2003 domain with xp and 98 clients, my win 98 machines are
>> not communicationg with xp, but xp can access win98, why its happening and
>> whatz the solution

That doesn't look like NTFS HDs physically dropped into the Win98
systems. If it were, then the file system type would be the killer.

Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com