downloaded files say in properties Blocked

I am not sure if MS or IE or McAfee is doing this. I have been downloading
a lot of files for my PSP program. I have notices in properties it is
saying the file is blocked and I can unblock by clicking etc.

I don't know where this block is coming from or what limitations it is
posing. I want to unblock all of them at one time.

CK
8 answers Last reply
More about downloaded files properties blocked

    CK wrote:

    > I am not sure if MS or IE or McAfee is doing this. I have been
    > downloading a lot of files for my PSP program. I have notices
    > in properties it is saying the file is blocked and I can unblock
    > by clicking etc.
    >
    > I don't know where this block is coming from or what limitations
    > it is posing. I want to unblock all of them at one time.
    Hi

    This is new functionality introduced by WinXP SP2, and you cannot turn
    it off.

    When using Internet Explorer to download files to a NTFS formatted
    disk, for some file types (e.g. zip and exe), a NTFS stream is added
    to the file that contains information about where it comes from.

    To avoid this blocking to be added in the future, don't use Internet
    Explorer to download files, switch to another browser.

    To batch-remove this blocking on already downloaded files, you can use
    the free command line tool Streams.exe for this:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#streams

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thank you. It is nice to finally have an answer on this.

    Appreciate your time.

    CK

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
    > CK wrote:
    >
    >> I am not sure if MS or IE or McAfee is doing this. I have been
    >> downloading a lot of files for my PSP program. I have notices
    >> in properties it is saying the file is blocked and I can unblock
    >> by clicking etc.
    >>
    >> I don't know where this block is coming from or what limitations
    >> it is posing. I want to unblock all of them at one time.
    > Hi
    >
    > This is new functionality introduced by WinXP SP2, and you cannot turn
    > it off.
    >
    > When using Internet Explorer to download files to a NTFS formatted
    > disk, for some file types (e.g. zip and exe), a NTFS stream is added
    > to the file that contains information about where it comes from.
    >
    > To avoid this blocking to be added in the future, don't use Internet
    > Explorer to download files, switch to another browser.
    >

    > To batch-remove this blocking on already downloaded files, you can use
    > the free command line tool Streams.exe for this:
    >
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#streams

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Where can I get some help with this download? I downloaded and have tried
    to work it but it is a bit over my head and afraid of doing something I
    shouldn't.

    Can you advise me on this?

    CK wrote:

    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote:
    >
    >> This is new functionality introduced by WinXP SP2, and you cannot
    >> turn it off.
    >>
    >> When using Internet Explorer to download files to a NTFS formatted
    >> disk, for some file types (e.g. zip and exe), a NTFS stream is added
    >> to the file that contains information about where it comes from.
    >>
    >> To avoid this blocking to be added in the future, don't use Internet
    >> Explorer to download files, switch to another browser.
    >>

    >> To batch-remove this blocking on already downloaded files, you can
    >> use the free command line tool Streams.exe for this:
    >>
    >>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#streams
    >>

    > Where can I get some help with this download? I downloaded and have
    > tried to work it but it is a bit over my head and afraid of doing
    > something I shouldn't.
    >
    > Can you advise me on this?
    Hi,

    After downloading streams.zip, I suggest you put the Streams.exe that
    is inside streams.zip in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. This way
    Streams.exe is in the exe path so you don't need to think about
    specifying the path to Streams.exe when you want to use it.

    Now, when you want to clean out all the streams in files in a folder
    inclusive subfolders, do the following:

    Open a command prompt (Start/Run --> cmd.exe)

    At the command prompt, type

    "streams.exe -s -d "

    without the quotes (note the trailing space!).

    Then open an Explorer window (place the window so it doesn't cover the
    command prompt completely) and in Explorer locate the folder you want
    to operate on.

    Drag the folder from the Explorer window into the command prompt. This
    way the folder path will automatically be "typed" on the command line.

    Then click on the command prompt window so it gets focus, and press
    Enter to launch the Streams command.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    hey i have the same problem wit my p2p software and some of my downloads are
    blocked, i followed the directions to unblock them but in order to unblock
    the file i have to see it , it can't even see the file, also the site that u
    sent for streams.exe does not work anymore please help

    haron wrote:

    > hey i have the same problem wit my p2p software and some of my downloads are
    > blocked, i followed the directions to unblock them but in order to unblock
    > the file i have to see it , it can't even see the file, also the site that u
    > sent for streams.exe does not work anymore please help
    Hi,

    The URL to the Streams.exe download is now:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Streams.html

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > haron wrote:
    >
    > > hey i have the same problem wit my p2p software and some of my downloads are
    > > blocked, i followed the directions to unblock them but in order to unblock
    > > the file i have to see it , it can't even see the file, also the site that u
    > > sent for streams.exe does not work anymore please help
    > Hi,
    >
    > The URL to the Streams.exe download is now:
    >
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Streams.html

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    hey all , was wondering if you cna help me , i am having the same problems
    with files being blocked since downloading updates , but i am using mozilla
    firebird and not IE and there is no option to unblock it under properties
    thanks

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP