formatting harddrive

have an evil virus / spywear prob which has hijacked my computer so all
hyperlinks & my homepage lead back to its homepage at
http://ipassist.biz/index.php?id=186

cannot download any anti-virus/spywear progs to sort it & the ones i have
cannot find a prob.

so 1 simple question- how do i completly reformat the computer to start
again??

thanks nick
2 answers Last reply
More about formatting harddrive

    "nick" wrote:

    > so 1 simple question- how do i completly reformat the computer to start
    > again??

    First save your applications, data, and any other essential files to backup
    media, such as a CD or external hard drive, because reformatting is going to
    wipe the drive clean.

    Then insert your XP CD and reboot your computer. Follow the prompts.
    Select the option to "Boot this computer from the CD." When you get to the
    part about which partition to install XP on, select the option to delete the
    partition on which XP currently resides (again follow the instructions).
    Once the partitions are deleted, then select the option to install XP on the
    partition you just deleted. XP will create a partition in that space, format
    it, and clean install XP. You will then need to reinstall your data and
    partitions. Make sure you immediately upgrade to SP2 and also make an effort
    to find out how you got slimed the first time so that it doesn't happen again.

    Ken

    Here are a few articles that you might want to take a look at:

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,119266,pg,3,00.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/honeycutt_02october07.mspx

    It basically involves configuring your PC to boot from the CD,
    delete/partition/format the drive you want to install XP on and
    then provide info when requested.

    A few things to do before you start this procedure:

    1. Disconnect any devices which are not needed. The only things
    that should be attached to the computer are the mouse, keyboard
    and monitor. No printer, no extra drives, no network cables.

    2. Look for a sticker on the side of your computer with the 25
    digit CD key. You'll probably need to provide this info during
    the
    installation.

    3. Make sure you have all the installation files for the software
    you wish to reinstall. It would also be helpful to have the
    latest drivers for your hardware devices.

    4. Back up only the most crucial data that you want to keep. Try
    to minimize the chance that you restore an infected file to the
    new installation.

    5. Once the installation is complete, activate the windows
    firewall before connecting to the internet.

    6. Update Windows before you install your applications.

    Good luck

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > have an evil virus / spywear prob which has hijacked my
    > computer so all
    > hyperlinks & my homepage lead back to its homepage at
    > http://ipassist.biz/index.php?id=186
    >
    > cannot download any anti-virus/spywear progs to sort it & the
    > ones i have
    > cannot find a prob.
    >
    > so 1 simple question- how do i completly reformat the computer
    > to start
    > again??
    >
    > thanks nick

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP