control userpasswords2

a b 8 Security
April 27, 2005 11:58:16 AM

Hi!

I need to know how the "control userpasswords2" utility works; we use a
security template and we need to know what parameters the utiliy changes. I
know that it changes two parameters in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AutoAdminLogon

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\DefaultUserName

But:
1-what other registry keys does it changes?
2-where does it store the password?

Thanks a lot!

Lorna.

More about : control userpasswords2

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 27, 2005 3:10:56 PM

How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Lorna" wrote:

| Hi!
|
| I need to know how the "control userpasswords2" utility works; we use a
| security template and we need to know what parameters the utiliy changes. I
| know that it changes two parameters in the registry:
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
| NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AutoAdminLogon
|
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
| NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\DefaultUserName
|
| But:
| 1-what other registry keys does it changes?
| 2-where does it store the password?
|
| Thanks a lot!
|
| Lorna.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 28, 2005 11:08:26 AM

Lorna wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I need to know how the "control userpasswords2" utility works; we use a
> security template and we need to know what parameters the utiliy changes. I
> know that it changes two parameters in the registry:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AutoAdminLogon
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\DefaultUserName
>
> But:
> 1-what other registry keys does it changes?
> 2-where does it store the password?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Lorna.

You should also read about how to set up a protected password in the LSA
secrets area:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

In order to see the contents of this area in the registry (while
developing) you must change the permissions of HKLM\SECURITY to allow
read access to Administrators (or only to yourself)

Eduardo
!