xp firewall trouble

I can't get the XP firewall turned on.

I tried this:

> Start/Run --> cmd.exe
> and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
> netsh.exe winsock reset
> and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

I have the same problem and just tried the fix and it didn't work for me.
I did the fix twice and after each time I go to turn on the firewall and I
get "Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
Connection Sharing (ICS) Service?" I click Yes, Then it goes through a
Starting ICS thing then opens the windows firewall settings form. Off is
checked and I am unable to check on. It is greyed out. Can you suggest
anything else??

Thanks
Mike

Air

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Mike:

I have a user who is experiencing the same problem. If I get a solution,
I'll let you know. If you get an answer, could you email me the fix at
cotati@hotmail.com

Thanks :)

"Mike D" wrote:

> I can't get the XP firewall turned on.
>
> I tried this:
> >
> > Start/Run --> cmd.exe
> > and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
> > netsh.exe winsock reset
> > and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
>
> I have the same problem and just tried the fix and it didn't work for me.
> I did the fix twice and after each time I go to turn on the firewall and I
> get "Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
> service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
> Connection Sharing (ICS) Service?" I click Yes, Then it goes through a
> Starting ICS thing then opens the windows firewall settings form. Off is
> checked and I am unable to check on. It is greyed out. Can you suggest
> anything else??
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Same trouble here on husbands computer Please someone out there can fix it
please post it

"Air" wrote:

> Mike:
>
> I have a user who is experiencing the same problem. If I get a solution,
> I'll let you know. If you get an answer, could you email me the fix at
> cotati@hotmail.com
>
> Thanks :)
>
> "Mike D" wrote:
>
> > I can't get the XP firewall turned on.
> >
> > I tried this:
> > >
> > > Start/Run --> cmd.exe
> > > and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
> > > netsh.exe winsock reset
> > > and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
> >
> > I have the same problem and just tried the fix and it didn't work for me.
> > I did the fix twice and after each time I go to turn on the firewall and I
> > get "Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
> > service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
> > Connection Sharing (ICS) Service?" I click Yes, Then it goes through a
> > Starting ICS thing then opens the windows firewall settings form. Off is
> > checked and I am unable to check on. It is greyed out. Can you suggest
> > anything else??
> >
> > Thanks
> > Mike

Air

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

This just proves that MS's new malicious software removal tool, stinks!
Try running this command at the command prompt (DOS mode)
netsh Winsock reset

"heat6975" wrote:

> Same trouble here on husbands computer Please someone out there can fix it
> please post it
>
> "Air" wrote:
>
> > Mike:
> >
> > I have a user who is experiencing the same problem. If I get a solution,
> > I'll let you know. If you get an answer, could you email me the fix at
> > cotati@hotmail.com
> >
> > Thanks :)
> >
> > "Mike D" wrote:
> >
> > > I can't get the XP firewall turned on.
> > >
> > > I tried this:

> > > I have the same problem and just tried the fix and it didn't work for me.
> > > I did the fix twice and after each time I go to turn on the firewall and I
> > > get "Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
> > > service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
> > > Connection Sharing (ICS) Service?" I click Yes, Then it goes through a
> > > Starting ICS thing then opens the windows firewall settings form. Off is
> > > checked and I am unable to check on. It is greyed out. Can you suggest
> > > anything else??
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Mike

we finally had success this morning don't over look the obvious we set the
firewall to on no exceptions clicked ok reopened windows firewall in the
control panel and were able to get to the advanced tab and reset firewall
settings now it works for now GOOD LUCK

"Air" wrote:

> This just proves that MS's new malicious software removal tool, stinks!
> Try running this command at the command prompt (DOS mode)
> netsh Winsock reset
>
> "heat6975" wrote:
>
> > Same trouble here on husbands computer Please someone out there can fix it
> > please post it
> >
> > "Air" wrote:
> >
> > > Mike:
> > >
> > > I have a user who is experiencing the same problem. If I get a solution,
> > > I'll let you know. If you get an answer, could you email me the fix at
> > > cotati@hotmail.com
> > >
> > > Thanks :)

What does the banner at the top of the dialog say? this should explain why
settings would be greyed out.
I'm not completely sure I understand what you're seeing. When you ok the
firewall dialog do you get any errors? when you launch it again, are you
prompted to restart the service, or did you only get that msg after a
reboot?

--
David
Microsoft Windows Networking