9550 256mb Any Good?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2004 11:55:52 PM

Any info on this card would be be nice. thx

More about : 9550 256mb good

Anonymous
November 23, 2004 12:32:35 AM

i tried that already and there was nothng of any real help. i was hoping for
first hand info from some real person that had one.

"JimBob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in message
> crystalskull wrote:
>> Any info on this card would be be nice. thx
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=9550+256MB&meta=
> Google is your friend.
>
> --
> Can't beat a bit of Bully

November 23, 2004 2:23:05 AM

Posted by me a while ago, but still valid...

Disappointing. This card gives a standard 3Dmark2001SE score of only 6215
compared to the Radeon 9200 (a repackaged Radeon 8500) score of 5789. So
for the £20 extra you get a slightly higher performance, double the amount
of memory, DirectX 9 support, and a small fan with a blue LED light.

Even when overclocked to the Radeon 9600 stock speed of 325MHz core and
400MHz memory and a 10% increased FSB you only get a 3Dmark2001SE score of
7563 with this card. The board does remain stable (at least for one day) at
this speed however.

You do not get a manual with this package and there is no 9550 manual on the
enclosed CD-ROM.

I continue on my quest to find a good quality, higher performance, mid-range
3D graphics card. Neither nVidia nor ATI offer a card at the £50-£60 price
point that improves dramatically on my present choice of Sapphire Radeon
9200 with 64Mb DDR for only £36 inc VAT.

This card/chip has been created by marketing not by design. Avoid.

Jonathan

"crystalskull" <radgamer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>i tried that already and there was nothng of any real help. i was hoping
>for first hand info from some real person that had one.
>

> "JimBob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> crystalskull wrote:
>>> Any info on this card would be be nice. thx
>>
>> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=9550+256MB&meta=
>> Google is your friend.
>>
>> --
>> Can't beat a bit of Bully

Anonymous
November 23, 2004 4:38:47 AM

thx

"Jonathan Eales" <Jon.Eales@Virgin.net> wrote in message
> Posted by me a while ago, but still valid...
>

> Disappointing. This card gives a standard 3Dmark2001SE score of only 6215
> compared to the Radeon 9200 (a repackaged Radeon 8500) score of 5789. So
> for the £20 extra you get a slightly higher performance, double the amount
> of memory, DirectX 9 support, and a small fan with a blue LED light.
>

> Even when overclocked to the Radeon 9600 stock speed of 325MHz core and
> 400MHz memory and a 10% increased FSB you only get a 3Dmark2001SE score of
> 7563 with this card. The board does remain stable (at least for one day)
> at this speed however.
>

> You do not get a manual with this package and there is no 9550 manual on
> the enclosed CD-ROM.
>

> I continue on my quest to find a good quality, higher performance,
> mid-range 3D graphics card. Neither nVidia nor ATI offer a card at the
> £50-£60 price point that improves dramatically on my present choice of
> Sapphire Radeon 9200 with 64Mb DDR for only £36 inc VAT.
>

> This card/chip has been created by marketing not by design. Avoid.
>

> Jonathan
>

> "crystalskull" <radgamer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>i tried that already and there was nothng of any real help. i was hoping
>>for first hand info from some real person that had one.
>>

>> "JimBob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=9550+256MB&meta=
>>> Google is your friend.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Can't beat a bit of Bully

November 28, 2004 5:33:37 PM

Jonathan Eales wrote:
> Posted by me a while ago, but still valid...
>
> Disappointing. This card gives a standard 3Dmark2001SE score of only
> 6215 compared to the Radeon 9200 (a repackaged Radeon 8500) score of
> 5789. So for the £20 extra you get a slightly higher performance,
> double the amount of memory, DirectX 9 support, and a small fan with
> a blue LED light.

Small remark: the 9200 isn't a repackaged 8500, it's a repackaged 9000. The
9100 was a repackaged 8500.

Thomas.
!