Controlling SP2 via GPO

Hello:

I am getting ready to deploy XP SP2 on my network. I want to control the
firewall features via a GPO. I uploaded the new adm files to the DC and
configure most of the options, but I did not see where I can configure the
exclusions. I have about 6 things I need to add as excluded programs. I
found a way to do this via a logon script but I'd rather have a GPO do it.

Does anyone know how to configure exclusions via a GPO?

Using the Windows Firewall INF File in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=cb307a1d-2f97-4e63-a581-bf25685b4c43&DisplayLang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am getting ready to deploy XP SP2 on my network. I want to control the
> firewall features via a GPO. I uploaded the new adm files to the DC and
> configure most of the options, but I did not see where I can configure the
> exclusions. I have about 6 things I need to add as excluded programs. I
> found a way to do this via a logon script but I'd rather have a GPO do it.
>
> Does anyone know how to configure exclusions via a GPO?

Is this the info you are looking for?

"Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am getting ready to deploy XP SP2 on my network. I want to control the
> firewall features via a GPO. I uploaded the new adm files to the DC and
> configure most of the options, but I did not see where I can configure the
> exclusions. I have about 6 things I need to add as excluded programs. I
> found a way to do this via a logon script but I'd rather have a GPO do it.
>
> Does anyone know how to configure exclusions via a GPO?

Is this the info you are looking for?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/depfwset/wfsp2wgp.mspx

(sorry for my other post, hit Send by accident)

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP

Hi Harrison,

Do you mean the policy located to:

Computer Configuration\Administative Templates\Network\network
connections\Windows firewall\Domain profile

Windows Firewall: Define program exceptions

You can specify this policy to set the exceptions programs.

Colin has provided a very good article link, please pay attention to the
Step 2 in the article:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/depfwset/wfsp2w
gp.mspx

If you have further questions and any update, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,

Rebecca Chen

MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Rebecca:

Thanks for replying to my post.

I looking in the GPO and I do have firewall objects on my firewall GPO but
"Windows Firewall: Define program exceptions" is not there. Am I looking in
the right place?

Harrison Midkiff

""Rebecca Chen [MSFT]"" <v-rebc@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Harrison,
>
> Do you mean the policy located to:
>
> Computer Configuration\Administative Templates\Network\network
> connections\Windows firewall\Domain profile
>
> Windows Firewall: Define program exceptions
>
> You can specify this policy to set the exceptions programs.
>
> Colin has provided a very good article link, please pay attention to the
> Step 2 in the article:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/depfwset/wfsp2w
> gp.mspx
>
> If you have further questions and any update, please feel free to post
> back.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rebecca Chen
>
> MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA
>

> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> rights.

Rebecca:

Thanks... I was not connecting from an XP computer. For the exceptions do I
just add in the full path and executable?

Harrison Midkiff
> Rebecca:
>
> Thanks for replying to my post.
>
> I looking in the GPO and I do have firewall objects on my firewall GPO but
> "Windows Firewall: Define program exceptions" is not there. Am I looking
> in the right place?
>
> Harrison Midkiff
>

> ""Rebecca Chen [MSFT]"" <v-rebc@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Harrison,
>>
>> Do you mean the policy located to:
>>
>> Computer Configuration\Administative Templates\Network\network
>> connections\Windows firewall\Domain profile
>>
>> Windows Firewall: Define program exceptions
>>
>> You can specify this policy to set the exceptions programs.
>>
>> Colin has provided a very good article link, please pay attention to the
>> Step 2 in the article:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/depfwset/wfsp2w
>> gp.mspx
>>
>> If you have further questions and any update, please feel free to post
>> back.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Rebecca Chen
>>
>> MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA
>>

>> Microsoft Online Partner Support

>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

>> rights.

Hi Harrison,

Thanks for the udpate!

Yes, you can provide the path of the application, however, there are some
special syntax for this policy. For example, You want to add test.exe
programs to the program exceptions list and allow it to receive messages
from 10.0.01 or any system on the 10.3.4.x subnet, you can use the
following syntax:

%programfiles%\test.txt:10.0.0.1, 10.3.4.0/24:enabled:test program

For more details about the exception list syntax, please refer to the
following article, snippet " Windows Firewall: Define Program Exceptions":

Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service
Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/depfwset/wfsp2a
pa.mspx#EMAA

Any questions, please feel free to post back.