Which card for Athlon 64 3200?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 23, 2004 1:41:23 PM

I've been waiting for almost 3 months now for a X800 XT PE from
Komplett and am getting a bit sick. I'm now tempted to go for
something else as I have Half-Life 2 arriving tomorrow and 2 weeks off
work ;o). I have an Athlon 64 3200 with 1GB RAM and have no idea what
would suit my set-up best. Does anyone have any recommendations, or
am I best off waiting for the X800 XT PE if the hope that it'll
eventually turn up?

TIA

Sanddancer

More about : card athlon 3200

November 23, 2004 3:09:06 PM

Potential newsgroup troll known as Sanddancer
<Sanddancer2002@spam-me-if-you-can.hotmail.com> typed:

> Does anyone have any recommendations, or
> am I best off waiting for the X800 XT PE if the hope that it'll
> eventually turn up?

Ask your dad.

--
maniac/at/tweak.pl
Anonymous

"Sanddancer" <Sanddancer2002@spam-me-if-you-can.hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:8t46q05qpahqmq4fhtpk5oi1ngvge2j1gq@4ax.com...

" I've been waiting for almost 3 months now for a X800 XT PE from Komplett
and am getting a bit sick. I'm now tempted to go for something else as I
have Half-Life 2 arriving tomorrow and 2 weeks off work ;o). "

Komplett UK? They aren't expecting delivery of the XT PE until 3rd January,
so why not cancel the order and get an X800 Pro?
November 23, 2004 4:41:30 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:09:06 GMT, "maniac" <maniac@USUNTOtweak.pl>
wrote:

>Potential newsgroup troll known as Sanddancer
><Sanddancer2002@spam-me-if-you-can.hotmail.com> typed:
>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations, or
>> am I best off waiting for the X800 XT PE if the hope that it'll
>> eventually turn up?
>
>Ask your dad.

I'd have a hard job, he died 26 yeas ago. What are you expecting him
to say?

Sanddancer
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 4:45:35 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:16:01 -0000, "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com>
wrote:

>"Sanddancer" <Sanddancer2002@spam-me-if-you-can.hotmail.com> wrote in
>message news:8t46q05qpahqmq4fhtpk5oi1ngvge2j1gq@4ax.com...
>
>" I've been waiting for almost 3 months now for a X800 XT PE from Komplett
>and am getting a bit sick. I'm now tempted to go for something else as I
>have Half-Life 2 arriving tomorrow and 2 weeks off work ;o). "
>

>Komplett UK? They aren't expecting delivery of the XT PE until 3rd January,
>so why not cancel the order and get an X800 Pro?

Everywhere has been saying that they're expecting stock coming in.
They've all been saying it for months now. The price Komplett is
asking for the Saphire X800 XT PE isn't that much more than the X800
Pros so I'm reluctant to cancel my order. I've not been able to find
anywhere that compares the 2 cards with my CPU to see if it's worth
getting the XT over the Pro, that's why I'm asking here.

Thanks.

Sanddancer.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 5:06:49 PM

Cuzman wrote:
> "Sanddancer" <Sanddancer2002@spam-me-if-you-can.hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:8t46q05qpahqmq4fhtpk5oi1ngvge2j1gq@4ax.com...
>
> " I've been waiting for almost 3 months now for a X800 XT PE from Komplett
> and am getting a bit sick. I'm now tempted to go for something else as I
> have Half-Life 2 arriving tomorrow and 2 weeks off work ;o). "
>

> Komplett UK? They aren't expecting delivery of the XT PE until 3rd January,
> so why not cancel the order and get an X800 Pro?

Seems to apply to all Komplett's... The ETA for my X800XT-PE at
Komplett.no is january 1st... :-/

Regards,
Evert
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 8:45:50 PM

Sanddancer:

> I have Half-Life 2 arriving tomorrow and 2 weeks off
> work ;o). ... Does anyone have any recommendations, or
> am I best off waiting for the X800 XT PE if the hope that it'll
> eventually turn up?

Which is more important, the card or the game?
--
Mac Cool
November 23, 2004 8:56:57 PM

Potential newsgroup troll known as Sanddancer
<Sanddancer2002@spam-me-if-you-can.hotmail.com> typed:

> What are you expecting him to say?

"I lived long and prosper".

--
maniac/at/tweak.pl
Anonymous

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:56:57 GMT, "maniac" <maniac@USUNTOtweak.pl>
wrote:

>Potential newsgroup troll known as Sanddancer
><Sanddancer2002@spam-me-if-you-can.hotmail.com> typed:
>
>> What are you expecting him to say?
>
>"I lived long and prosper".

You're a bit of a prick aren't you? If you've got nothing worth
saying then maybe it's best that you say nothing at all.

Sanddancer
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 10:36:10 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:45:50 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

>Sanddancer:
>
>> I have Half-Life 2 arriving tomorrow and 2 weeks off
>> work ;o). ... Does anyone have any recommendations, or
>> am I best off waiting for the X800 XT PE if the hope that it'll
>> eventually turn up?
>
>Which is more important, the card or the game?

The card, but I want something that'll last a while. I've looked
forward to Half-Life 2 coming out since it was announced though. I've
cancelled my order from Komplett and I'll see what I can find locally
tomorrow.

Sanddancer
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 12:52:26 AM

dude, you can always save some cash and get a 9800pro. Ive got one on my
modest 2.2ghz 512ddr system and Halflife runs excellent with everything on
full with 6xAA and 16xAF - absolutely no slowdowns or stuttering as Ive been
hearing some people are having. But since youve got a nice amd-64 3200 - Id
suggest scrapping the PE and grabbing a stock X800 - great performance for
price. Dig it: cancel your order and get your card elsewhere, 3 months!?? no
chance.

"Sanddancer" <Sanddancer2002@spam-me-if-you-can.hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:8t46q05qpahqmq4fhtpk5oi1ngvge2j1gq@4ax.com...
> I've been waiting for almost 3 months now for a X800 XT PE from
> Komplett and am getting a bit sick. I'm now tempted to go for
> something else as I have Half-Life 2 arriving tomorrow and 2 weeks off
> work ;o). I have an Athlon 64 3200 with 1GB RAM and have no idea what
> would suit my set-up best. Does anyone have any recommendations, or
> am I best off waiting for the X800 XT PE if the hope that it'll
> eventually turn up?
>
> TIA
>
> Sanddancer
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 12:52:27 AM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:52:26 +1100, "Blaedmon" <ass@beamer.com> wrote:

>dude, you can always save some cash and get a 9800pro. Ive got one on my
>modest 2.2ghz 512ddr system and Halflife runs excellent with everything on
>full with 6xAA and 16xAF - absolutely no slowdowns or stuttering as Ive been
>hearing some people are having. But since youve got a nice amd-64 3200 - Id
>suggest scrapping the PE and grabbing a stock X800 - great performance for
>price. Dig it: cancel your order and get your card elsewhere, 3 months!?? no
>chance.

Nowhere has any stock, I check almost every day. I might just go for
a X800 but knowing my luck the second I order one the X800 XT PEs will
come back in stock. I've got my fist baby due next year and want to
sort the PC out now incase I don't get the chance to upgrade for a few
years.

Thanks

Sanddancer
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 12:52:27 AM

Blaedmon wrote:

> dude, you can always save some cash and get a 9800pro. Ive got one on my
> modest 2.2ghz 512ddr system and Halflife

Halflife or Halflife *2*?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:41:23 GMT, Sanddancer
<Sanddancer2002@spam-me-if-you-can.hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've been waiting for almost 3 months now for a X800 XT PE from
>Komplett and am getting a bit sick. I'm now tempted to go for
>something else as I have Half-Life 2 arriving tomorrow and 2 weeks off
>work ;o). I have an Athlon 64 3200 with 1GB RAM and have no idea what
>would suit my set-up best. Does anyone have any recommendations, or
>am I best off waiting for the X800 XT PE if the hope that it'll
>eventually turn up?
>
>TIA
>
>Sanddancer

Well I cancelled my order and I've gone for a Gainward GeForce 6800GT
Ultra/2400 Golden Sample instead.

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like I'll be unsubscribing from
this group now though.

Sanddancer
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 5:55:24 PM

Evert Meulie wrote:
> Cuzman wrote:
>
>> "Sanddancer" <Sanddancer2002@spam-me-if-you-can.hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message news:8t46q05qpahqmq4fhtpk5oi1ngvge2j1gq@4ax.com...
>>
>> " I've been waiting for almost 3 months now for a X800 XT PE from
>> Komplett
>> and am getting a bit sick. I'm now tempted to go for something else as I
>> have Half-Life 2 arriving tomorrow and 2 weeks off work ;o). "
>>

>> Komplett UK? They aren't expecting delivery of the XT PE until 3rd
>> January,
>> so why not cancel the order and get an X800 Pro?
>>

> Seems to apply to all Komplett's... The ETA for my X800XT-PE at
> Komplett.no is january 1st... :-/

Hmm, maybe I get lucky... The ETA just got updated to Dec. 4th
(2004!)... :-)

Regards,
Evert
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:18:47 AM

"Sanddancer" <Sanddancer2002@spam-me-if-you-can.hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:8t46q05qpahqmq4fhtpk5oi1ngvge2j1gq@4ax.com...
> I've been waiting for almost 3 months now for a X800 XT PE from
> Komplett and am getting a bit sick. I'm now tempted to go for
> something else as I have Half-Life 2 arriving tomorrow and 2 weeks off
> work ;o). I have an Athlon 64 3200 with 1GB RAM and have no idea what
> would suit my set-up best. Does anyone have any recommendations, or
> am I best off waiting for the X800 XT PE if the hope that it'll
> eventually turn up?

I have the same CPU and amount of RAM that you do, and I use a 9800Pro. It
plays Doom3, HL2 and FarCry just great, as long as you don't want to max out
all the settings at 1600x1200 or something.
!