vsmon.exe taking too much processor time

Hello group. I've been having this problem for past 2-3 months now. I think
it is about time I put the laziness aside and did something about it.

It goes something like this... whenever I start browsing, my computer's CPU
load shoots up to 100% or very close to it and consequently the computer's
response time (to my clicks etc) becomes low. And it is very annoying...

I checked out the processes list in the task manager and I saw that it is
the process 'vsmon.exe' that takes up all the processor when there is high
CPU load.

Sometimes the problem goes away after a while.... that is, the CPU load
stays normal when I click another link on the page etc. but at other times
it persists.

I'd like to hear any suggestions/comments/similar experiences etc. if
anybody is interested enough to share.

Thanks...

PS. My OS is WindowsXP Professional - Service Pack 1. I use no anti-virus
(yes indeed!) but there's ZoneAlarm in place.
3 answers Last reply
More about vsmon taking processor time

    http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/s­scv6/default.asp?langid=ie&ven­id=sym

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
    to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "adeel" wrote:

    > Hello group. I've been having this problem for past 2-3 months now. I think
    > it is about time I put the laziness aside and did something about it.
    >

    > It goes something like this... whenever I start browsing, my computer's CPU
    > load shoots up to 100% or very close to it and consequently the computer's
    > response time (to my clicks etc) becomes low. And it is very annoying...
    >
    > I checked out the processes list in the task manager and I saw that it is
    > the process 'vsmon.exe' that takes up all the processor when there is high
    > CPU load.
    >
    > Sometimes the problem goes away after a while.... that is, the CPU load
    > stays normal when I click another link on the page etc. but at other times
    > it persists.
    >

    > I'd like to hear any suggestions/comments/similar experiences etc. if
    > anybody is interested enough to share.
    >

    > Thanks...
    >
    > PS. My OS is WindowsXP Professional - Service Pack 1. I use no anti-virus
    > (yes indeed!) but there's ZoneAlarm in place.

    Try another firewall
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/vsmon/

    Free Firewalls
    ZoneAlarm (Free and up)
    http://snipurl.com/6ohg

    Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) (Free and up)
    http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

    Sygate Personal Firewall (Free and up)
    http://smb.sygate.com/free/spf_download.php

    Outpost Firewall
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost

    Thanks for responding guys.

    I have downloaded Microsoft's Anti-spyware and have also updated Spybot S&D
    and Spyware blaster. They did point out (and successfully removed) a few
    spywares from my system but the high CPU load problem is still there.

    I traced down 'vsmon.exe'.... it is related to ZoneAlarm in some way. I
    think I'll try changing the firewall or something.

    ....shall report updates as soon as I get something done.

    thanks again

Processors Windows XP