Your question
Closed

Am I the only one that thinks 7 is garbage

Tags:
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
October 25, 2009 3:51:12 AM

I mean I at this point in my usage of Win 7 I'm glad I still have Vista on my PC, it actually works reasonably well. For some strange reason Windows Firewall just shuts down all internet access when I install a new app. (Unfortunately the errors I was seeing don't really let you know that and the troubleshooting functionality in IE was utterly worthless.)

More about : thinks garbage

a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 4:15:50 AM

Yes... well except that V8Venom dude... but he doesn't count anyway.
October 25, 2009 4:39:46 AM

Quote:
Am I the only one that thinks 7 is garbage

Yes.
Related resources
October 25, 2009 4:52:42 AM

I don't think windows 7 is bad by any means. But I will go ahead and say that at this point I'm not as happy with it as I thought that I would have been. LUCKILY I haven't had any issues with it yet, but I guess to be quite honest I thought it was going to be much different than it ended up being. But I guess thats my own fault for not reading as much about it as I probably should have before I bought it.

But basically for the most part it seems like its pretty much exactly the same as vista, but then again I always liked vista and I never understood why so many people hated it lol... So w/e :p 
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 5:41:49 AM

Windows 7 is the most stable version ever upon release.

There are still uncorrected errors in the Release Candidate versions that are fixed in the official RTM versions.

Windows 7 is a really great Operating System which combines and extends the best of XP and Vista.

People forget that Windows XP had LOTS of issues in its day. I've extensively tested Windows 7 and absolutely love it.
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 5:48:21 AM

dave_d said:
I mean I at this point in my usage of Win 7 I'm glad I still have Vista on my PC, it actually works reasonably well. For some strange reason Windows Firewall just shuts down all internet access when I install a new app. (Unfortunately the errors I was seeing don't really let you know that and the troubleshooting functionality in IE was utterly worthless.)

So disable the Windows Firewall and use one from a third party? Seriously, I don't have a problem with you coming here and complaining... everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when you don't even try to do anything about your problem, I start to question how much stock I place in that opinion.

Before you come complaining about how an entire product as complex as Windows is "garbage", try to see if you can fix the problem first. When I come across a problem, I don't throw my hands in the air and start b****ing about how the whole thing sucks because one single part doesn't want to co-operate with me, I try to make it work for me.
October 25, 2009 10:43:34 AM

Quote:

Before you come complaining about how an entire product as complex as Windows is "garbage", try to see if you can fix the problem first. When I come across a problem, I don't throw my hands in the air and start b****ing about how the whole thing sucks because one single part doesn't want to co-operate with me, I try to make it work for me.

Well actually my main complaint (I mean besides the firewall) is the fact Win 7 didn't actually give any indication what the problem really was. (Just a generic "no internet" message and trouble shooting didn't give any info either.) So then it was playing around with things for awhile before noticing "Hey, if I turn off the firewall things work." I pretty much wouldn't have been annoyed if it told me the firewall was causing the problem or if any of the suggestions gave a hint it might be the firewall.
October 25, 2009 11:01:55 AM

Isn't that Microsofts job to 'fix the problem' before it's released when we have paid them a lot of money for a product that adds very little to their previous product?
October 25, 2009 11:01:57 AM

You could give Linux a try..I bet you would get a nice user friendly message that fixes all your problems in a few seconds...uhum.
October 25, 2009 2:24:23 PM

I'm not impressed with Windows 7 either. I only used it for a few minutes while helping my brother, and so far I'm not impressed and it seems completely overhyped. It took a second to notice that the icon for a shared folder no longer indicates that it's shared. Aero seems slower than Vista and startup times seem slow or at least not as fast as I expected. I'm sure I could nitpick about more stuff if I took the time to use it. I'm curious to see if they replaced the horribly worthless defragmenter from Vista. Anyways, Windows 7 seems overhyped.
October 25, 2009 2:50:50 PM

"I'm not impressed" is the right way to put it. I don't think it's garbage though. It fixes many of Vista's flaws.

But the whole thing leaves a funny aftertaste. Microsoft spun the marketing machine like never before telling us how awesome 7 is. But what has really changed under the hood? Apparently, not much at all. What are significant new features? I like the new taskbar but have a really hard time thinking of anything else (and I'm typing this from 7). The fact that you need a click or two less here and there I don't consider a feature, I consider it a fix. Libraries? It's neat but nothing major. The thing that excites me most about them is their name ("library" already has meaning in computing terminology).

Snow Leopard at least increased application performance. OTOH, in 7, your apps don't run faster or slower than on Vista or XP.
October 25, 2009 3:19:58 PM

Yeh, you are only one who hates W7. I just got W7 on Thursday.
October 25, 2009 4:31:24 PM

photonboy said:

There are still uncorrected errors in the Release Candidate versions that are fixed in the official RTM versions.

Windows 7 is a really great Operating System which combines and extends the best of XP and Vista.

People forget that Windows XP had LOTS of issues in its day. I've extensively tested Windows 7 and absolutely love it.

Well for those newbies that weren't arround wor Windows 3.5 NT and Windows 4.0 NT.. those were much more rock solid... Even the dot-O release for NT is more stable the SP3 release of XP.

The stability/robustness of the microsoft operating system mimics a logarithmic graph... its approaching 0 but just can't get there.
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 4:36:52 PM

I suspect people who are upgrading from XP will be more enthusiastic about Windows 7 than people who are upgrading from Vista, since for them there are more "new" features.
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 4:45:33 PM

tomvertommen said:
You could give Linux a try..I bet you would get a nice user friendly message that fixes all your problems in a few seconds...uhum.

:lol:  EPIC reply.
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 4:58:54 PM

photonboy said:

Considering it's not a "new" OS really but more akin to "Vista SP3", that's a bit of a cheat on Redmond's part :)  But even so, I don't think anything has ever approached NT4 for stability.....server behind me has been running 24/7 since 1998 w/ two BSOD's and two HD failures.
October 25, 2009 5:03:48 PM

Not to mention I remember seeing these same posts the same time Vista launched.. OMG Vista is the best thing since sliced bread... It wasn't until businesses started trying to deploy vista, in enterprise environments, that Vista showed its true colors.. Also let us not forget the average computers now days are much faster and typically have more memory than the average PC back then... and MS claimed Vista would run great on those PC's.. That is what hurt them the most.

We will know in 1 year just how good WIndows 7 really us.

a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 5:45:12 PM

I have to call BS on that one.... I saw far more "Vista SUCKS!" type posts than anything else.
October 26, 2009 1:30:44 AM

sminlal said:
I suspect people who are upgrading from XP will be more enthusiastic about Windows 7 than people who are upgrading from Vista, since for them there are more "new" features.

Very good point
February 12, 2010 8:12:58 PM

core i7 ownage said:
Yeh, you are only one who hates W7. I just got W7 on Thursday.

No. There a millions who hate W7. We do. We own a small computer firm and do not sell W7. XP SP3 goes into 90 per cent of our new computers. If a client wishes to have Vista or W7 - we warn them first. W7 is nothing but Vista Second Edition. In our opinion (thats 4 managers, 1 CEO, 1 director, 8 Techs and 22 Sales personnel) - W7 is just a 'pretty' spiced up Vista and is the Worst OS we have ever seen. We installed W7 32 bit Premium into 5 of our computers and we had 5 discarded installations. These Computers were NEW.
with a minimum of 2 Gigs of RAM, 500 G HD, AMD mobo (MSI and ABIT) and ran on a 500 watt PS. We got 27 Blue Screens on installations (Total for all 5 systems). Our Techs checked the hardware for bad connections, dead hardware - but nothing was found.

We know is was WINDOWS 7, because XP now works fine with all 5 computers. Most bluescreens were driver-related in our tech's opinions.

On 4 Laptops, we lost power on the battery 4 times faster than on XP. And, by the use of google, this has been documented as a WINDOWS 7 BUG..

Of the 4 Laptops, all 4 functioned slower and then went power-dead (after 70 minutes) vs. 2 hour and 15 minutes for XP.

So you are not the only one that feels Windows 7 is Garbage. It is. The pig with smear lipstick that MS created works better with Intel drivers and Intel hardware. And our computers are only AMD - run.

Daniel James Tyler (Danxo), WJ Group
February 12, 2010 10:49:08 PM

danxo said:
"We own a small computer firm and do not sell W7. XP SP3 goes into 90 per cent of our new computers. If a client wishes to have Vista or W7 - we warn them first. W7 is nothing but Vista Second Edition. In our opinion (thats 4 managers, 1 CEO....

Daniel James Tyler (Danxo), WJ Group

You suggest only XP SP3 for computers you sell?

Does this apply to business PC's also?

You do realise Redmond are going to stop supporting XP very shortly don't you?

Very irresponsible to continue to distribute XP machines without, I'm assuming, letting the purchaser know of the plan to cease XP support by Microsoft. XP is still popular enough for malware writers to find exploits to the OS. What happens when PC owners cry foul when their PC's have become exploited by some new backdoor virus that MS isn't going release a patch for?

It could be an exploit in a third party application that creates a vulnerability in the OS.

Of course it will be Microsofts fault, after all it always is. While you stand there and shrug your shoulders.

There will continue to be patches, bug fixes, security updates and service pack releases for years to come with Vista and Win7.

That alone should be enough for anyone to move forward and adopt the learning curve, instead of in the future stagnating with an outdated OS.
a c 215 $ Windows 7
February 12, 2010 11:04:35 PM

Closing... don't need more threads raised from the dead.
Related resources
!