Password

Could someone tell me how to prorect a Word document I have in 'My
Documents', with a password, so no-one else can 'accidentally' open it?

Alan

Pauls wrote:
> Could someone tell me how to prorect a Word document I have in 'My
> Documents', with a password, so no-one else can 'accidentally' open it?
Open the document in Word. Click on Tools | Options | Security.
Where it says Password To Open click on Advanced to select your
encryption method. Click OK and then enter a password. You will
be prompted to repeat the password. Save the document. next
time anyone tries to open the document, there will be a prompt
for the password.

You don't assign passwords to files in Windows XP, you restrict access by assigning permissions to drives, folders and files.

To do this, you must be running NTFS as your file system on the drive in question. If your hard disk/partition is not NTFS you will need to convert it. To do this, open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command:

CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS

Where X: is the drive letter you wish to convert. You may also want to see http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm to ensure that you're getting the optimal conversion.

After this step is completed and you've rebooted the computer, if necessary:

XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

How Do I Get the Security Tab in Properties - XP Home (makes the Security tab appear outside of Safe Mode)
http://www.dougknox.com, Win XP Tips section

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Pauls wrote:
> Could someone tell me how to prorect a Word document I have in 'My
> Documents', with a password, so no-one else can 'accidentally' open it?

Open the document with Word, and click Tools > Protect Document. Don't
ever forget the password, however, or you're only recourse will be to
recreate the document from memory.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

thus demonstrating the value of a title.

Office files ya sure can...

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
You don't assign passwords to files in Windows XP, you restrict access by
assigning permissions to drives, folders and files.

To do this, you must be running NTFS as your file system on the drive in
question. If your hard disk/partition is not NTFS you will need to convert
it. To do this, open a Command Prompt window and enter the following
command:

CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS

Where X: is the drive letter you wish to convert. You may also want to see
http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm to ensure that you're getting the optimal
conversion.

After this step is completed and you've rebooted the computer, if necessary:

XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck
Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or
file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security
tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user
group membership.

XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents
"private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting
Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need
to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator
account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you
can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

How Do I Get the Security Tab in Properties - XP Home (makes the Security
tab appear outside of Safe Mode)
http://www.dougknox.com, Win XP Tips section

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Pauls" <Pauls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could someone tell me how to prorect a Word document I have in 'My
> Documents', with a password, so no-one else can 'accidentally' open it?

In Word, you can protect a document from being edited, but not opened.

"MDBJ" <nosorry@no.com> wrote in message news:ehYfKEnTFHA.3696@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> thus demonstrating the value of a title.
>
> Office files ya sure can...
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You don't assign passwords to files in Windows XP, you restrict access by
> assigning permissions to drives, folders and files.
>
> To do this, you must be running NTFS as your file system on the drive in
> question. If your hard disk/partition is not NTFS you will need to convert
> it. To do this, open a Command Prompt window and enter the following
> command:
>
> CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS
>
> Where X: is the drive letter you wish to convert. You may also want to see
> http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm to ensure that you're getting the optimal
> conversion.
>
> After this step is completed and you've rebooted the computer, if necessary:
>
> XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck
> Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or
> file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security
> tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user
> group membership.
>
> XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents
> "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting
> Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need
> to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator
> account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you
> can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.
>
> How Do I Get the Security Tab in Properties - XP Home (makes the Security
> tab appear outside of Safe Mode)
> http://www.dougknox.com, Win XP Tips section
>
> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
> XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418
>
> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
> Folders
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419
>
> HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in
> Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874
>

> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Pauls" <Pauls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Could someone tell me how to prorect a Word document I have in 'My
>> Documents', with a password, so no-one else can 'accidentally' open it?

TRENDING THREADS