Password

Could someone tell me how to prorect a Word document I have in 'My
Documents', with a password, so no-one else can 'accidentally' open it?
5 answers Last reply
More about password

    Pauls wrote:
    > Could someone tell me how to prorect a Word document I have in 'My
    > Documents', with a password, so no-one else can 'accidentally' open it?
    Open the document in Word. Click on Tools | Options | Security.
    Where it says Password To Open click on Advanced to select your
    encryption method. Click OK and then enter a password. You will
    be prompted to repeat the password. Save the document. next
    time anyone tries to open the document, there will be a prompt
    for the password.

    You don't assign passwords to files in Windows XP, you restrict access by assigning permissions to drives, folders and files.

    To do this, you must be running NTFS as your file system on the drive in question. If your hard disk/partition is not NTFS you will need to convert it. To do this, open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command:

    CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS

    Where X: is the drive letter you wish to convert. You may also want to see http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm to ensure that you're getting the optimal conversion.

    After this step is completed and you've rebooted the computer, if necessary:

    XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

    XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

    How Do I Get the Security Tab in Properties - XP Home (makes the Security tab appear outside of Safe Mode)
    http://www.dougknox.com, Win XP Tips section

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

    HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    Pauls wrote:
    > Could someone tell me how to prorect a Word document I have in 'My
    > Documents', with a password, so no-one else can 'accidentally' open it?

    Open the document with Word, and click Tools > Protect Document. Don't
    ever forget the password, however, or you're only recourse will be to
    recreate the document from memory.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    thus demonstrating the value of a title.

    Office files ya sure can...

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    You don't assign passwords to files in Windows XP, you restrict access by
    assigning permissions to drives, folders and files.

    To do this, you must be running NTFS as your file system on the drive in
    question. If your hard disk/partition is not NTFS you will need to convert
    it. To do this, open a Command Prompt window and enter the following
    command:

    CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS

    Where X: is the drive letter you wish to convert. You may also want to see
    http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm to ensure that you're getting the optimal
    conversion.

    After this step is completed and you've rebooted the computer, if necessary:

    XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck
    Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or
    file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security
    tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user
    group membership.

    XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents
    "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting
    Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need
    to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator
    account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you
    can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

    How Do I Get the Security Tab in Properties - XP Home (makes the Security
    tab appear outside of Safe Mode)
    http://www.dougknox.com, Win XP Tips section

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

    HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Pauls" <Pauls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Could someone tell me how to prorect a Word document I have in 'My
    > Documents', with a password, so no-one else can 'accidentally' open it?

    In Word, you can protect a document from being edited, but not opened.

    "MDBJ" <nosorry@no.com> wrote in message news:ehYfKEnTFHA.3696@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > thus demonstrating the value of a title.
    >
    > Office files ya sure can...
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > You don't assign passwords to files in Windows XP, you restrict access by
    > assigning permissions to drives, folders and files.
    >
    > To do this, you must be running NTFS as your file system on the drive in
    > question. If your hard disk/partition is not NTFS you will need to convert
    > it. To do this, open a Command Prompt window and enter the following
    > command:
    >
    > CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS
    >
    > Where X: is the drive letter you wish to convert. You may also want to see
    > http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm to ensure that you're getting the optimal
    > conversion.
    >
    > After this step is completed and you've rebooted the computer, if necessary:
    >
    > XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck
    > Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or
    > file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security
    > tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user
    > group membership.
    >
    > XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents
    > "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting
    > Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need
    > to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator
    > account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you
    > can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.
    >
    > How Do I Get the Security Tab in Properties - XP Home (makes the Security
    > tab appear outside of Safe Mode)
    > http://www.dougknox.com, Win XP Tips section
    >
    > HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
    > XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418
    >
    > HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    > Folders
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419
    >
    > HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in
    > Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874
    >

    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Pauls" <Pauls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Could someone tell me how to prorect a Word document I have in 'My
    >> Documents', with a password, so no-one else can 'accidentally' open it?

Security Microsoft Windows XP