Spyware

I have been seeing alot of issues with spyware. I am a desktop support tech
and the main issue is there is some sort of pop up blocker installed and I
cannot get rid of it. Anythime I try to bring up a page that requires another
instance of IE to come up it will not. ALso it is preventing me from rolling
out application to this particular desktop. I ran ANtispyware, adaware and
virusscan and it picks up things I delete them and issue still remains.
Nothing shows up in Control Panel either. Something seems to be preventing
pop ups and blocking anything from coming in . PLEASE HELP!

Malke

Stressed Tech wrote:

> I have been seeing alot of issues with spyware. I am a desktop
> support tech and the main issue is there is some sort of pop up
> blocker installed and I cannot get rid of it. Anythime I try to bring
> up a page that requires another instance of IE to come up it will not.
> ALso it is preventing me from rolling out application to this
> particular desktop. I ran ANtispyware, adaware and virusscan and it
> picks up things I delete them and issue still remains.
> Nothing shows up in Control Panel either. Something seems to be
> preventing
> pop ups and blocking anything from coming in . PLEASE HELP!

Here are general malware removal steps. Do everything with updated tools
in Safe Mode:

First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. To do this, go
to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab. You'll see where you can
delete cookies and files. For Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr
[enter] and then:

1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
antivirus using updated definitions.

Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
below.

2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
novices should get help with it.

3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
(Run>cleanmgr).

4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

5) Run a firewall.

Links to help with malware:

Software/Methods:
http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
http://www.tomcoyote.com/hjt/ - HijackThis
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm - Repair Winsock 2 settings after
removing spyware
http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html - WinsockXPFix.exe

HijackThis:
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
Eshelman
http://aumha.net - forums
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
forum
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

General:
http://aumha.net - look under "Security" for various forums
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

I have had good luck using Microsoft's anti spywarebeta in conjunction with
Lavasoft's ad-aware. It took two or three runs to get a badly infected
computer clean but did not require the skills needed for search and destroy
or hijack this. good luck

leo

TRENDING THREADS