Hard drive upgrade problems.

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
April 28, 2005 8:30:01 PM

I recently upgraded from a 20gig hard drive to an 80gig. Everything seemed to
copy ok until I tried using System Restore to create a restore point on the
new hard drive. It was then that I started getting errors saying that various
..dll files were now corrupt. I could not save system settings, install new
drivers, or setup new programs because when I would resart the system, none
of my settings were being saved.

I guess my question is, "What do I need to do to Windows Xp so that I can
copy it from one drive to another?" Should I just uninstall Service Pack2?

More about : hard drive upgrade problems

April 29, 2005 12:05:57 AM

What you need is the best program you can find.
Acronis True Image is one of,... if not the best.

Acronis True Image 8.0
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage...
http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/

Norton Ghost
www.symantec.com

Drive Image
www.powerquest.com

Regards.

---------------------------------------
"Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
> I recently upgraded from a 20gig hard drive to an 80gig. Everything seemed
> copy ok until I tried using System Restore to create a restore point on
the
> new hard drive. It was then that I started getting errors saying that
various
> .dll files were now corrupt. I could not save system settings, install new
> drivers, or setup new programs because when I would resart the system,
none
> of my settings were being saved.
>
> I guess my question is, "What do I need to do to Windows Xp so that I can
> copy it from one drive to another?" Should I just uninstall Service Pack2?
April 29, 2005 3:24:30 AM

In news:FC74D600-6F2C-47CA-9A1C-550D47427730@microsoft.com,
Scott <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I recently upgraded from a 20gig hard drive to an 80gig. Everything
> seemed to copy ok until I tried using System Restore to create a
> restore point on the new hard drive. It was then that I started
> getting errors saying that various .dll files were now corrupt. I
> could not save system settings, install new drivers, or setup new
> programs because when I would resart the system, none of my settings
> were being saved.
>
> I guess my question is, "What do I need to do to Windows Xp so that I
> can copy it from one drive to another?" Should I just uninstall
> Service Pack2?

Do it free with this:

clone maxx :
http://www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm

Should that not work then your new drive should come with software (check
their site if you didn't get a disk) to clone or "image" the drive to
another drive.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
!