Hard drive upgrade problems.

I recently upgraded from a 20gig hard drive to an 80gig. Everything seemed to
copy ok until I tried using System Restore to create a restore point on the
new hard drive. It was then that I started getting errors saying that various
..dll files were now corrupt. I could not save system settings, install new
drivers, or setup new programs because when I would resart the system, none
of my settings were being saved.

I guess my question is, "What do I need to do to Windows Xp so that I can
copy it from one drive to another?" Should I just uninstall Service Pack2?
2 answers Last reply
More about hard drive upgrade problems

    What you need is the best program you can find.
    Acronis True Image is one of,... if not the best.

    Acronis True Image 8.0
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/

    Norton Ghost
    www.symantec.com

    Drive Image
    www.powerquest.com

    Regards.

    ---------------------------------------

    In news:FC74D600-6F2C-47CA-9A1C-550D47427730@microsoft.com,
    Scott <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I recently upgraded from a 20gig hard drive to an 80gig. Everything
    > seemed to copy ok until I tried using System Restore to create a
    > restore point on the new hard drive. It was then that I started
    > getting errors saying that various .dll files were now corrupt. I
    > could not save system settings, install new drivers, or setup new
    > programs because when I would resart the system, none of my settings
    > were being saved.
    >
    > I guess my question is, "What do I need to do to Windows Xp so that I
    > can copy it from one drive to another?" Should I just uninstall
    > Service Pack2?

    Do it free with this:

    clone maxx :
    http://www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm

    Should that not work then your new drive should come with software (check
    their site if you didn't get a disk) to clone or "image" the drive to
    another drive.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Hard Drives Windows XP