Admin Rights Problem

Hi folks,

My system: Win XP Pro SP2, Standalone computer, I'm the admin.

Here is the situation: When I sign on as as a user with full admin
rights I am unable to do a direct export with my bibliographic program
(EndNote), which is one issue. Additionally, when I attempt to use
Citrix to sign on to my work (HTTS), I get a "ICA file not found." I
am told it is a problem with MS XP Pro but can't find a KB article
about it or how to fix it. If I check my rights/permissions, by all
indications it appears to be full and I am a member of the
Administrators group. I've tried everything to fix it and it is
driving me nut!!!

However, if I sign on as the administrator or create a "new" user with
full admin rights, everything works fine. So my only options, unless I
can get this fixed is to sign on under admin etc to use Citrix and/or
EndNote or try and copy my files to a new profile, which I have never
done before.

I have MS Win XP Pro's "Resource Kit Documentation" and have tried a
few things to cure the problem, but no can do.

Help!!!

James Johnson
_______________
JP Johnson
7 answers Last reply
More about admin rights problem

    In news:p43371lfuq8ga5lnltpged3ierupmbnijl@4ax.com,
    JP Johnson <jpjohn19@charter.net> had this to say:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > My system: Win XP Pro SP2, Standalone computer, I'm the admin.
    >
    > Here is the situation: When I sign on as as a user with full admin
    > rights I am unable to do a direct export with my bibliographic program
    > (EndNote), which is one issue. Additionally, when I attempt to use
    > Citrix to sign on to my work (HTTS), I get a "ICA file not found." I
    > am told it is a problem with MS XP Pro but can't find a KB article
    > about it or how to fix it. If I check my rights/permissions, by all
    > indications it appears to be full and I am a member of the
    > Administrators group. I've tried everything to fix it and it is
    > driving me nut!!!
    >
    > However, if I sign on as the administrator or create a "new" user with
    > full admin rights, everything works fine. So my only options, unless I
    > can get this fixed is to sign on under admin etc to use Citrix and/or
    > EndNote or try and copy my files to a new profile, which I have never
    > done before.
    >
    > I have MS Win XP Pro's "Resource Kit Documentation" and have tried a
    > few things to cure the problem, but no can do.
    >
    > Help!!!
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    >

    > James Johnson
    > _______________
    > JP Johnson

    Try this:

    305506 - How to Identify a Damaged User Profile and Create a New Profile:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305506

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Thanks Galen,

    Unfortunately, the option to copy is grayed out, so it won't allow me
    to do it. But I appreciate the information, helps me to know it is
    there and I'm exploring the issues still.

    JP

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:23:03 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >In news:p43371lfuq8ga5lnltpged3ierupmbnijl@4ax.com,
    >JP Johnson <jpjohn19@charter.net> had this to say:

    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> My system: Win XP Pro SP2, Standalone computer, I'm the admin.
    >>
    >> Here is the situation: When I sign on as as a user with full admin
    >> rights I am unable to do a direct export with my bibliographic program
    >> (EndNote), which is one issue. Additionally, when I attempt to use
    >> Citrix to sign on to my work (HTTS), I get a "ICA file not found." I
    >> am told it is a problem with MS XP Pro but can't find a KB article
    >> about it or how to fix it. If I check my rights/permissions, by all
    >> indications it appears to be full and I am a member of the
    >> Administrators group. I've tried everything to fix it and it is
    >> driving me nut!!!
    >>
    >> However, if I sign on as the administrator or create a "new" user with
    >> full admin rights, everything works fine. So my only options, unless I
    >> can get this fixed is to sign on under admin etc to use Citrix and/or
    >> EndNote or try and copy my files to a new profile, which I have never
    >> done before.
    >>
    >> I have MS Win XP Pro's "Resource Kit Documentation" and have tried a
    >> few things to cure the problem, but no can do.
    >>
    >> Help!!!
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    >>

    >> James Johnson
    >> _______________
    >> JP Johnson
    >
    >Try this:
    >
    >305506 - How to Identify a Damaged User Profile and Create a New Profile:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305506
    >
    >Galen

    _______________
    JP Johnson

    In news:i0p771diuij8rmqjfm10dm9gcqr7uesghh@4ax.com,
    JP Johnson <jpjohn19@charter.net> had this to say:

    > Thanks Galen,
    >
    > Unfortunately, the option to copy is grayed out, so it won't allow me
    > to do it. But I appreciate the information, helps me to know it is
    > there and I'm exploring the issues still.

    How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    With Galen's help, what I have discovered is that my user profile is
    probably damaged. When I created another user it solved the problems I
    had in my first thread. However, my new user profile does not have MS
    Office, Outlook, my PDA information, and some other programs.

    I assume I have to re-install all the programs that were not installed
    under "All Users." Is there a way to just copy programs to a new users
    without copying the damaged portions of the profile?

    On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:37:16 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >In news:i0p771diuij8rmqjfm10dm9gcqr7uesghh@4ax.com,
    >JP Johnson <jpjohn19@charter.net> had this to say:

    >> Thanks Galen,
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, the option to copy is grayed out, so it won't allow me
    >> to do it. But I appreciate the information, helps me to know it is
    >> there and I'm exploring the issues still.
    >
    >How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
    >
    >Galen

    _______________
    JP Johnson

    In news:6ugn71918nasqgslpiiftachasuq8rlkve@4ax.com,
    JP Johnson <jpjohn19@charter.net> had this to say:

    > With Galen's help, what I have discovered is that my user profile is
    > probably damaged. When I created another user it solved the problems I
    > had in my first thread. However, my new user profile does not have MS
    > Office, Outlook, my PDA information, and some other programs.
    >
    > I assume I have to re-install all the programs that were not installed
    > under "All Users." Is there a way to just copy programs to a new users
    > without copying the damaged portions of the profile?

    It's not that bad nor difficult...

    305506 - How to Identify a Damaged User Profile and Create a New Profile:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305506

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Don't ya just love em!

    Well, it worked coping to a new profile. Unfortunately it copies
    whatever errors are causing the problems. So I guess I'm back to
    square one! But I will have to say, I'm learning a lot!

    So maybe the only option is starting with a fresh profile, adding
    things like My Documents, MS Office, Palm programs, etc. one at a
    time.

    BTW is Windows XPZ coming out anytime soon?

    On Fri, 6 May 2005 17:59:33 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >In news:6ugn71918nasqgslpiiftachasuq8rlkve@4ax.com,
    >JP Johnson <jpjohn19@charter.net> had this to say:

    >> With Galen's help, what I have discovered is that my user profile is
    >> probably damaged. When I created another user it solved the problems I
    >> had in my first thread. However, my new user profile does not have MS
    >> Office, Outlook, my PDA information, and some other programs.
    >>
    >> I assume I have to re-install all the programs that were not installed
    >> under "All Users." Is there a way to just copy programs to a new users
    >> without copying the damaged portions of the profile?
    >
    >It's not that bad nor difficult...
    >
    >305506 - How to Identify a Damaged User Profile and Create a New Profile:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305506
    >
    >Galen

    _______________
    JP Johnson

    You might want to try this approach:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

    As long as you leave out ntuser.dat, ntuser.ini and
    ntuser.dat.log you should get the items you're looking to
    salvage.

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "JP Johnson" <jpjohn19@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Don't ya just love em!
    >
    > Well, it worked coping to a new profile. Unfortunately it
    > copies
    > whatever errors are causing the problems. So I guess I'm back
    > square one! But I will have to say, I'm learning a lot!
    >
    > So maybe the only option is starting with a fresh profile,
    > adding
    > things like My Documents, MS Office, Palm programs, etc. one at
    > time.
    >
    > BTW is Windows XPZ coming out anytime soon?
    >

    > On Fri, 6 May 2005 17:59:33 -0400, "Galen"
    > <galennews@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In news:6ugn71918nasqgslpiiftachasuq8rlkve@4ax.com,
    >>JP Johnson <jpjohn19@charter.net> had this to say:

    >>> With Galen's help, what I have discovered is that my user
    >>> profile is
    >>> probably damaged. When I created another user it solved the
    >>> problems I
    >>> had in my first thread. However, my new user profile does not
    >>> have MS
    >>> Office, Outlook, my PDA information, and some other programs.
    >>>
    >>> I assume I have to re-install all the programs that were not
    >>> installed
    >>> under "All Users." Is there a way to just copy programs to a
    >>> new users
    >>> without copying the damaged portions of the profile?
    >>
    >>It's not that bad nor difficult...
    >>
    >>305506 - How to Identify a Damaged User Profile and Create a
    >>New Profile:
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305506
    >>
    >>Galen

    > JP Johnson