Why did 3dfx Voodoo vid card maker die ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 24, 2004 9:42:02 PM

Hi guy

Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
history of 3dfx and what happened to them.

Still have my Voodoo2 SLI in my PC just for the hell of
it...................................... Funny how low it benchmarks
now...................hehehheheheh

Thanks
November 24, 2004 9:47:09 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:42:02 GMT, Mojo <mojo@juno.com> wrote:

>Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
>first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
>SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
>and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
>1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
>history of 3dfx and what happened to them.

NVidia caught up with them in terms of performance and offered 32bit
rendering. 3Dfx stated that users don't need 32bit and the users voted
with their wallets. When 3Dfx started to die, NVidia bought them out
and it was game over.
November 24, 2004 9:47:10 PM

> NVidia caught up with them in terms of performance and offered 32bit
> rendering. 3Dfx stated that users don't need 32bit and the users voted
> with their wallets. When 3Dfx started to die, NVidia bought them out
> and it was game over.

3dfx also overextended themselves when they started manufacturing their own
graphics cards (instead of just making the GPUs like NVidia). In addition,
their console deal with Sega fell through which cut off a huge source of
potential revenue.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 24, 2004 10:11:30 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:06:16 -0500, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>3dfx also overextended themselves when they started manufacturing their own
>graphics cards (instead of just making the GPUs like NVidia). In addition,
>their console deal with Sega fell through which cut off a huge source of
>potential revenue.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. Didn't they take Sega to court and win
compensation?
November 24, 2004 10:11:31 PM

> Didn't they take Sega to court and win compensation?
> --

I know they filed a lawsuit which I think was settled out of court, I don't
know the amount though.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 10:14:23 PM

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
>>
>> NVidia caught up with them in terms of performance and offered 32bit
>> rendering. 3Dfx stated that users don't need 32bit and the users voted
>> with their wallets. When 3Dfx started to die, NVidia bought them out
>> and it was game over.
>>

> 3dfx also overextended themselves when they started manufacturing their
> own graphics cards (instead of just making the GPUs like NVidia). In
> addition, their console deal with Sega fell through which cut off a huge
> source of potential revenue.

And all Sega can really do now is arcade stuff, (but is it the hardware?)
November 24, 2004 10:29:32 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:14:23 -0000, "Ne><uS" <Diablo@hell.org> wrote:

>And all Sega can really do now is arcade stuff, (but is it the hardware?)

I think Sega announced a few months back that they were pulling out of
hardware and concentrating on software.
November 24, 2004 10:35:32 PM

> I think Sega announced a few months back that they were pulling out of
> hardware and concentrating on software.

Tiz a shame, they did some good stuff in their heyday.
November 25, 2004 12:47:22 AM

If I remember correctly nvidia was touting a lot of new technology, most of
which had no real world value, it was a marketing ploy. The TNT was a great
card though, which set nvidia.

Mike

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:42:02 GMT, Mojo <mojo@juno.com> wrote:
>
>>Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
>>first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
>>SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
>>and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
>>1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
>>history of 3dfx and what happened to them.
>
> NVidia caught up with them in terms of performance and offered 32bit
> rendering. 3Dfx stated that users don't need 32bit and the users voted
> with their wallets. When 3Dfx started to die, NVidia bought them out
> and it was game over.
November 25, 2004 12:57:11 AM

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:42:02 GMT, Mojo <mojo@juno.com> wrote:
>
>>Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
>>first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
>>SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
>>and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
>>1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
>>history of 3dfx and what happened to them.
>
> NVidia caught up with them in terms of performance and offered 32bit
> rendering. 3Dfx stated that users don't need 32bit and the users voted
> with their wallets. When 3Dfx started to die, NVidia bought them out
> and it was game over.

Anything that uses glide misses the 3dfx cards. There is a lot of good
technology that is scarfed up and put on the shelf. Go figure.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 1:36:51 AM

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:42:02 GMT, Mojo <mojo@juno.com> wrote:
>
>>Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
>>first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
>>SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
>>and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
>>1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
>>history of 3dfx and what happened to them.
>
> NVidia caught up with them in terms of performance and offered 32bit
> rendering. 3Dfx stated that users don't need 32bit and the users voted
> with their wallets. When 3Dfx started to die, NVidia bought them out
> and it was game over.

Not really. 3Dfx was only bought up after they went bust.

They went bust because their products in the pipeline of development didn't
get to market in time to generate the cash to support the rest of the
business.

With more cash coming in, they would have blown nVidia out of the water with
their new products based on SLi. Instead, nVidia was given a clear playing
field when they went under.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 1:46:40 AM

> Still have my Voodoo2 SLI in my PC just for the hell of
> it...................................... Funny how low it benchmarks
> now...................hehehheheheh

You might enjoy seeing Doom 3 running on them then:
http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1462

--
Regards,
Tony. (tony.cue(at)tiscali.co.uk)

Discogs: building the definitive database of electronic music...
http://www.discogs.com
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 1:59:10 AM

"Mojo" <mojo@juno.com> wrote in message
> Hi guy
>

> Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
> first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
> SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
> and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
> 1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
> history of 3dfx and what happened to them.
>

> Still have my Voodoo2 SLI in my PC just for the hell of
> it...................................... Funny how low it benchmarks
> now...................hehehheheheh
>

> Thanks

Why was 3DFX SLI good? Nvidia's is only similer in "acronym" and dosn't
stand for "Scan line interleave" at all.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 3:10:33 AM

Simple: gamers account for less than 5% of total video card sales. (Sales of
high-end cards like today's X800 and yesteryear's Voodoo2 occupy less than
1%.) The other 95% are from OEMs like IBM and Gateway. The demographics in
this newsgroup does not represent the market.

The bulk of 3dfx's sales were in the retail channel, which made 3dfx a
significantly smaller player than nVidia and ATi, and much more vulnerable
to simple economic downturns (when people can't afford $600 SLI setups).

Put it this way: for a long time ATi had shitty video cards, but the company
didn't care: it owned 30% of the market through OEM sales.

That was then, nowadays consumers are more "informed", and there exists a
need for a manufacturer to offer the fastest video card, just for the image.
So really, the Geforce FX5800 was created for the purpose of dumping
boatloads of FX5200s on IBM, Gateway, etc. This is why you see nVidia and
ATi one-upping each other with paper launches, since to build an image, one
needs only the press and fancy marketing...

"Mojo" <mojo@juno.com> wrote in message
> Hi guy
>

> Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
> first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
> SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
> and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
> 1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
> history of 3dfx and what happened to them.
>

> Still have my Voodoo2 SLI in my PC just for the hell of
> it...................................... Funny how low it benchmarks
> now...................hehehheheheh
>

> Thanks

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 3:17:50 AM

They made bad business decisions and were bought out by Nvidia.

--
DaveW

"Mojo" <mojo@juno.com> wrote in message
> Hi guy
>

> Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
> first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
> SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
> and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
> 1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
> history of 3dfx and what happened to them.
>

> Still have my Voodoo2 SLI in my PC just for the hell of
> it...................................... Funny how low it benchmarks
> now...................hehehheheheh
>

> Thanks

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 3:49:46 AM

"Tone-EQ" <tony.cue@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Still have my Voodoo2 SLI in my PC just for the hell of
>> it...................................... Funny how low it benchmarks
>> now...................hehehheheheh
>
> You might enjoy seeing Doom 3 running on them then:
> http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1462
>
> --
> Regards,
> Tony. (tony.cue(at)tiscali.co.uk)
>
> Discogs: building the definitive database of electronic music...
> http://www.discogs.com

Wow - not just the frame-rates though, it doesn't even look like the game I
played, the graphics looked soooo primitive!

Crimson Liar

---
November 25, 2004 5:24:11 AM

"Just Askin'" <Justin@c.com> wrote in message
news:p bSdnXGO5sNnkTjcRVnyuQ@pipex.net...

> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:42:02 GMT, Mojo <mojo@juno.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
>>>first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
>>>SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
>>>and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
>>>1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
>>>history of 3dfx and what happened to them.
>>
>> NVidia caught up with them in terms of performance and offered 32bit
>> rendering. 3Dfx stated that users don't need 32bit and the users voted
>> with their wallets. When 3Dfx started to die, NVidia bought them out
>> and it was game over.
>
> Not really. 3Dfx was only bought up after they went bust.
>
> They went bust because their products in the pipeline of development
> didn't get to market in time to generate the cash to support the rest of
> the business.
>
> With more cash coming in, they would have blown nVidia out of the water
> with their new products based on SLi. Instead, nVidia was given a clear
> playing field when they went under.

Whatever...I use ATI now but I have never been as pleased as I was with any
of my 3dfx products. I still have a voodo 2,3,4,5 on the shelf that I
cannot use.
I also have the matrox m2 on the shelf.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 10:09:52 AM

"Mojo" <mojo@juno.com> wrote in message
> Hi guy
> Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
> first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
> SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
> and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
> 1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
> history of 3dfx and what happened to them.
> Still have my Voodoo2 SLI in my PC just for the hell of
> it...................................... Funny how low it benchmarks
> now...................hehehheheheh
> Thanks

3DFX died so that dual graphics card technology
could be born again in Nvidia's Nforce4 chipset
and GeForce 6600 cards.

The engineering expertise Nvidia got from 3DFx has evolved and
is now driving their leading edge cards. The "SLI" designator
is a salute to those who lead the way back when Voodoo ruled
the world.

(I also still have my V2 SLI rig).

><{{ MudFish (Co30){('>
www.Co30.com
"Careful with that Axe Eugene."
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 12:31:38 PM

3DFX had put out a lot of cash and bought a company with some cutting edge
graphics technology.
They had hoped to use this cutting edge stuff to win a big contract to
supply graphics chips for an
upcoming game console (Xbox ?), they did not win the contract.
So I would assume the 3DFX management figured they did not have the cash
reserves
to keep the company going, so they sold 3DFX to Nvidia for around $115
million.
I would assume the 3dfx management got some really big golden parachutes
out of the deal.

"Mojo" <mojo@juno.com> wrote in message
> Hi guy
>

> Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
> first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
> SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
> and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
> 1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
> history of 3dfx and what happened to them.
>

> Still have my Voodoo2 SLI in my PC just for the hell of
> it...................................... Funny how low it benchmarks
> now...................hehehheheheh
>

> Thanks

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 1:46:07 PM

"John Russell" <john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Mojo" <mojo@juno.com> wrote in message
>> Hi guy
>>

>> Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
>> first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
>> SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
>> and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
>> 1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
>> history of 3dfx and what happened to them.
>>

>> Still have my Voodoo2 SLI in my PC just for the hell of
>> it...................................... Funny how low it benchmarks
>> now...................hehehheheheh
>>

>> Thanks
>>

> Why was 3DFX SLI good? Nvidia's is only similer in "acronym" and dosn't
> stand for "Scan line interleave" at all.

It was 2 voodoo2 s next to each other in PCI slots. Doesn't it make sense
that 2 cards will run faster than 1?
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 1:46:08 PM

"Son of Blahguy" <snuh@whatsamatta.edu> wrote in message

> "John Russell" <john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mojo" <mojo@juno.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi guy
>>>

>>> Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
>>> first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
>>> SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
>>> and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
>>> 1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
>>> history of 3dfx and what happened to them.
>>>

>>> Still have my Voodoo2 SLI in my PC just for the hell of
>>> it...................................... Funny how low it benchmarks
>>> now...................hehehheheheh
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Why was 3DFX SLI good? Nvidia's is only similer in "acronym" and dosn't
>> stand for "Scan line interleave" at all.
>>

> It was 2 voodoo2 s next to each other in PCI slots. Doesn't it make sense
> that 2 cards will run faster than 1?

Voodoo's approach only solved the problem of the GPU hanging due to writing
to "slow" frame buffer memory. Nvidia's SLI recognises that the Voodoo
architecture results in both cards performing the same front end geometry
calcualtions, which is a waste. Nvidia's idea is to look at the pipline as a
whole and allow the second GPU to support the first GPU in keeping the
pipeline running at full potential. Evidently memory speed is not the
problem it was!

This also means that the two GPU's don't have to be matched. So in theory
you can buy one SLI card, and then add a second later, which following
improvements in technology, will be cheaper and faster. The old one will
contribute to keeping the faster one working at full potential.

I suppose most people won't be care that this isn't Scan Line Interleaving.
For them SLI just means "two better than one"
November 25, 2004 2:15:56 PM

"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

> Whatever...I use ATI now but I have never been as pleased as I was with
> any
> of my 3dfx products.

My Voodoo 3 was the most reliable, compatible card I ever owned, and the
drivers were superb. Most of the advantages touted by NVidia at the time (32
bit color, onboard T&L, etc), usually involved a performance hit or weren't
implemented well (or even at all, most games of the late nineties didn't use
on-board T&L anyway) - useful features, someday, but blown way out of
proportion for its time. They were actually more useful to NVidia's
marketing department.

Also, 3dfx 2D quality was superior to most of the early NVidia-based cards,
whose image quality declined at higher resolutions.
November 25, 2004 6:32:22 PM

Thank you guys for the great history lesson
November 25, 2004 7:39:49 PM

> Voodoo's approach only solved the problem of the GPU hanging due to writing
> to "slow" frame buffer memory. Nvidia's SLI recognises that the Voodoo
> architecture results in both cards performing the same front end geometry
> calcualtions, which is a waste. Nvidia's idea is to look at the pipline as a
> whole and allow the second GPU to support the first GPU in keeping the
> pipeline running at full potential. Evidently memory speed is not the
> problem it was!
>
> This also means that the two GPU's don't have to be matched. So in theory
> you can buy one SLI card, and then add a second later, which following
> improvements in technology, will be cheaper and faster. The old one will
> contribute to keeping the faster one working at full potential.
>
> I suppose most people won't be care that this isn't Scan Line Interleaving.
> For them SLI just means "two better than one"

Plus NVIDIAs implementation is transparent to applications. That is,
games don't need to support it directly. If to cards exist both are
automatically used. Don't remember if Voodoo's solution needed support
or not. Of course, I'm sure, when SLI rigs become more common, games can
and propably will be designed to use enhanced graphics when SLI is detected.
November 25, 2004 7:39:50 PM

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:39:49 +0200, vellu <velimala@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Plus NVIDIAs implementation is transparent to applications. That is,
>games don't need to support it directly. If to cards exist both are
>automatically used. Don't remember if Voodoo's solution needed support
>or not. Of course, I'm sure, when SLI rigs become more common, games can
>and propably will be designed to use enhanced graphics when SLI is detected.

V2 SLI didn't need game support, it too was transparent.
November 25, 2004 8:15:15 PM

"Mojo" <mojo@juno.com> wrote in message
> Hi guy
>

> Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
> first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
> SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
> and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
> 1 to out of business in just a few years. ?

The rise and fall of empires. Makes for good bathroom reader...It's
happening on a macroscale. Check yer six...

ANYONE remember the
> history of 3dfx and what happened to them.

Several classic FUs:

1) Voodoo Rush (Harvey Fong, then at Hercules, had a whole skivvie-load of
hatemail for that one...)

2) Banshee, another top seller (NOT!)

3) Being late with V5, positioning it against the GF2

4) Top-heavy management

5) Buying STB and using them as sole point of prod/distro, effectively
factoring everyone else out of the picture, who then went to Nvidia, and the
rest is history. Of course, it resulted in the death of one of the better
OEMs out there, while 3dfx was busy lining up both barrels on both big toes
and blowing them into pulp as a final salute. STB was the prom queen in a
world of hinge-toothed beyatches, prolly the only one without pigeon-toes, a
fishy smell, and a big nose-pimple like Diamond or Creative (or *anyone* who
had S3 in the sack)...note that this is not to imply STB was the prettiest
bowlegged ginch at the meat market, just the least skanky FWTW...then they
both show up late to the dance underdressed with V5 and no makeup...

5.5) The proprietary API. Now don't get me wrong, Glide was (is) easy to
use, just about any decent codemonkey can whip something off in short time,
but it had its obvious limitations, the hardware being foremost. OpenGL and
DirectX are the two biggies, it's been that way since DX7 when M$ started
getting serious about their old Rendermorphics API, and stealing ideas from
OpenGL thru Fahrenheit, same way M$ always does, by offering cooperation and
then co-opting ideas and incorporating them in their IP so it looks like the
originator of the idea has no leg to stand on. They got this business model
from the Japanese, I'd imagine, who practice it on their less-loved rivals.
With Microsoft, who has no such restraint, the less-loved rival is *everyone
else*, including you. It is wise to use the long-handled spoon when supping
with devils and demons of their ilk. But enough about who we really love to
hate, and vice versa. This is about Glide being predestined to failure.
Which, incidentally, it was, in no small part due to a certain
aforementioned competitor, but also in that it was essentially a convenient
(and effective at the time) way to mask noncompliance with either other API,
whose future was and is set in stone. Resistance really was futile. It was a
foregone conclusion Glide would be killed off someday. Expecting M$ not to
advance their agenda of global proliferation is like standing in front of a
moving train. 3dfx pulled out one rabbit and overworked it into starvation,
so the poor bugger was a bonerack when it got pulled out of Hats #
4,5,6---so it couldn't drag that creaky wagon uphill for another season. So
they got walked over by Nvidia, who simply had a faster product, more
complete OpenGL feature set (good Linux support too...), etc. They were off
their game, so they skinned Mr. Bunny, sold the meat, lined their pockets
with fur, and gave Nvidia a much-needed lesson in display filtering quality
among other things. Then ATI finally pulled their thumb out in time to
shovel ashes on 3dfx' grave and bite Nvidia in the ass, lest they sit around
too long. And it's been back-and forth ever since (except with OpenGL and
Linux, which I have yet to see ATI reach Nvidia's level of support and
challenge their dominance thereof), complete with "Star-Bellied Sneeches"
fanboiism, "leaked" memos, dirty driver pocket pool, payola to da
Futuremarket (the Standards & Poor's of the graphics world, with all that
implies...can you say "protection racket"?), the whole shebang. Just another
day of business as usual.

6) Insufficient clock speed: Feature limitations could have been forgiven
(no EMBM, no trilinear, no T&L, etc.) if they had managed to get 200+ MHz
yields. The "w00t factor" might have pulled them out of the fire even if
they were a little late to the party. V5 @ 200+ MHz in it's day? W00t! Any
questions?
Bulky design: "Scalable Architecture" my left one, like anyone but someone
with four or more of 'em on their pro level card would care. It's all better
off on one chip, within practical limitations.

There's still driver development going on for the V5...

While we're at it, let's pick another paperweight out of the
sack...Rendition! If they'd ever got the silicon right, the drivers might
have been a little better, methinks...

Now I'se gots to go start helpin' fixin' some vittles for this here...uhh...
"extended nuclear family"...happy turkey-day, y'all...

> Still have my Voodoo2 SLI in my PC just for the hell of
> it...................................... Funny how low it benchmarks
> now...................hehehheheheh
>

> Thanks

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 4:59:16 AM

to those who might interest

http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000292

Tim wrote:

> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message

--

³Ì²³æª½±µªº¸ÑÄÀ,³q±`³£¬O¹ïªº!
Anonymous

Nerdillus, that was one of the best posts I've ever read on Usenet.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 11:50:56 PM

"BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious" <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message
> Nerdillus, that was one of the best posts I've ever read on Usenet.

aww, shucks! Now I have to stake my head down so it doesn't float away and
look like a Doom 3 cacodemon on crack! Really, you should try
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips...a few IBM engineers and other very
knowledgeable folk in there...I am but a humble Shoeshine Boy, all things
considered ;-)...

But thanks, nonetheless, I appreciate the compliment, and it won't go to my
head...I'm just glad my off-color metaphors weren't too offensive, nor
misconstrued as misogynistic mindset...
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:26:32 AM

"Mojo" <mojo@juno.com> wrote in message
> Hi guy
>

> Now that I may look at buying nForce4 SLI. Lets go back in time to my
> first big 3D card buy.........3dfx Voodoo2. I bought two to use for
> SLI, and they was not cheap back then. These voodoo rocked. The best
> and fastest on the market. How can a company go from being Number #
> 1 to out of business in just a few years. ? ANYONE remember the
> history of 3dfx and what happened to them.

You've already gotten a lot of responses, so I won't try to add to what has
been said about 3dfx's demise. What I wanted to say is that I never owned a
3dfx video card until about a year ago! A buddy of mine sold me an older
system last year and offered to include a Voodoo3 3000 AGP 16MB card for
free, so I was intrigued and accepted. I have a bunch of old games from
when 3dfx was in their heyday and it blew me away to see how much better
3dfx was with those games than any video card I had been running in the same
time period! In my testing, I used the final driver set that 3dfx
officially released, which I think came out in the first week of December
2000. It's too bad what happened to 3dfx, but they did a lot to
revolutionize the PC gaming industry.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 11:30:19 AM

GMAN wrote:

> Just the fact that the next XBOX and Nintendo Cube systems will be using ATI,

But why?
Because NVidia cannot deliver the ordered quantities in time?
Because ATI offers better conditions?
But why?

Roy <who keeps his Voodoo 3 2000 PCI as an antique collectors' item>
November 28, 2004 7:34:58 PM

In article <30td4cF34kitjU2@uni-berlin.de>, Roy Coorne <RoyCoorne@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>GMAN wrote:

>> Just the fact that the next XBOX and Nintendo Cube systems will be using ATI,

>But why?
>Because NVidia cannot deliver the ordered quantities in time?
>Because ATI offers better conditions?
>But why?
>
>Roy <who keeps his Voodoo 3 2000 PCI as an antique collectors' item>

They offered a "better" product.
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 10:32:57 PM

"GMAN" <glenzabr@nospamallowed.xmission.com> wrote in message
> In article <30td4cF34kitjU2@uni-berlin.de>, Roy Coorne
> <RoyCoorne@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>>GMAN wrote:

>>> Just the fact that the next XBOX and Nintendo Cube systems will be using
>>> ATI,

>>But why?
>>Because NVidia cannot deliver the ordered quantities in time?
>>Because ATI offers better conditions?
>>But why?
>>
>>Roy <who keeps his Voodoo 3 2000 PCI as an antique collectors' item>
>
> They offered a "better" product.

"Better" why? Did they undercut nvidia by offering a similar product for
less?
It could just be MS's way of playing nvidia and ATI against each other so
they don't become too strong in their own right.
Maybe ATI has better DirectX support atm?
!