monitor problems

Hello -

I am experiencing the following problem.

My monitor essentially cannot be customized. Currently it is at 1600x1200
and refreshing at 60Hz.Windows seems to think it can do up to 1800x1440 and
85Hz. When I change the refresh rate to 85Hz, Windows seems to accept the
change but a) there is no visible change, and b) the monitor wizard still
says 60hz. As for the resolution, when I change it to 1800x1440, it
basically just stays the same "size" but the edges of the desktop are off
the screen. When I drag my mouse to any edge of the screen, the desktop
slides over to the side to reveal what I cannot see. The odd thing is that
when I hooked it up to my machine at work running XP Pro SP1, everything
worked fine.

Any suggestions? I've tried locating a driver, but everything I find either
does not work, or doesn't even install.

My graphics card is an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 series card, while the one I
have at work is the ATI Radeon 9600 (I think) series.

Thanks -

JD

Turn off the "quick resolution" feature in the Advanced display properties.

"John Doe" <biddybiddybop@email.com> wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> I am experiencing the following problem.
>
> My monitor essentially cannot be customized. Currently it is at
1600x1200
> and refreshing at 60Hz.Windows seems to think it can do up to 1800x1440
and
> 85Hz. When I change the refresh rate to 85Hz, Windows seems to accept the
> change but a) there is no visible change, and b) the monitor wizard still
> says 60hz. As for the resolution, when I change it to 1800x1440, it
> basically just stays the same "size" but the edges of the desktop are off
> the screen. When I drag my mouse to any edge of the screen, the desktop
> slides over to the side to reveal what I cannot see. The odd thing is that
> when I hooked it up to my machine at work running XP Pro SP1, everything
> worked fine.
>
> Any suggestions? I've tried locating a driver, but everything I find
either
> does not work, or doesn't even install.
>
> My graphics card is an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 series card, while the one I
> have at work is the ATI Radeon 9600 (I think) series.
>

> Thanks -
>
> JD

I did this moments ago and nothing seems to have changed. It still behaves
odd when I resize to 1800x1440.

Any other suggestions?

"Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in

> Turn off the "quick resolution" feature in the Advanced display
> properties.

eddie

If you look in the refresh rate settings, you will find there is a maximum
rate value, probably 85Hz. Change this to a higher value.
When you install the driver, Windows seems to set this shown value to the
max refresh rate at the highest resolution but interprets it as an overall
maximum!

Eddie

>I did this moments ago and nothing seems to have changed. It still behaves
> odd when I resize to 1800x1440.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in
>
>> Turn off the "quick resolution" feature in the Advanced display
>> properties.

eddie

In the adaptor properties, under Displays/Monitor/Attributes, set Max
Refresh to higher value. Windows interprets this value as the overall
maximum rate rather than the max rate at the max resolution.

Eddie