CD Key Problems

i currently need to activate my windows xp home edition i have until the end
of the month

the problem is i have an Windows XP Home Edition emachines key and when i
bought my new mobo and cpu two days ago, when i ran windows xp it wouldnt
work properly

because emachines makes there products impossible to change i had to
reformat my hdd

so right now i have a windows xp key thats valid and i paid for but the
non-emachine versions of windows doesnt support it so what i need is to
activate windows and change the cd key i installed it with to my emachines cd
key - which is probably impossible

or get a cd key from microsoft or emachines in exchange for the key i have

any ideas

the key i used in installation was my cousins - i understand i cant activate
that key and i really dont want to reinstall windows in 30 days any
suggestions?

and i do know i can buy an upgrade for $160 dollars canadian, but i do have a
valid windows xp key its just registered to use an emachines version of
windows xp home

jamiecccp wrote:
> i currently need to activate my windows xp home edition i have until
> the end of the month
>
> the problem is i have an Windows XP Home Edition emachines key and
> when i bought my new mobo and cpu two days ago, when i ran windows xp
> it wouldnt work properly
>
> because emachines makes there products impossible to change i had to
> reformat my hdd
>
> so right now i have a windows xp key thats valid and i paid for but
> the non-emachine versions of windows doesnt support it so what i need
> is to activate windows and change the cd key i installed it with to
> my emachines cd key - which is probably impossible
>
> or get a cd key from microsoft or emachines in exchange for the key i
> have
>
> any ideas
>
> the key i used in installation was my cousins - i understand i cant
> activate that key and i really dont want to reinstall windows in 30
> days any suggestions?

Purchase your own copy of Windows XP and perform a repair install to enter
your key.
Unfortunately for you, when you changed your motherboard, your OEM
(motherboard specific probably) copy of Windows XP became difficult to
install.

If it is actually an Install CD and not an image - it may be possible to fix
the CD to work again, but it would take some experience modifying the CD.

Truth of the matter - you could probably activate over the Internet right
now. You'd be breaking the EULA agreement.

--
<- Shenan ->

If Windows XP was preinstalled by eMachine and you
did not replace the defective motherboard with the exact
eMachine replacement, your eMachine version of Windows
XP is not going to activate since it is looking for the same BIOS.
All you can do is to purchase a conventional "Full Version" of
Windows XP and proceed with a "Repair Install".

A preinstalled OEM version of Windows XP cannot be used
with a different type of motherboard. The license is tied to
a specific motherboard model and BIOS and cannot be transferred.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

http://www.michaelstevenstech.­com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"jamiecccp" wrote:

| i currently need to activate my windows xp home edition i have until the end
| of the month
|
| the problem is i have an Windows XP Home Edition emachines key and when i
| bought my new mobo and cpu two days ago, when i ran windows xp it wouldnt
| work properly
|
| because emachines makes there products impossible to change i had to
| reformat my hdd
|
| so right now i have a windows xp key thats valid and i paid for but the
| non-emachine versions of windows doesnt support it so what i need is to
| activate windows and change the cd key i installed it with to my emachines cd
| key - which is probably impossible
|
| or get a cd key from microsoft or emachines in exchange for the key i have
|
| any ideas
|
| the key i used in installation was my cousins - i understand i cant activate
| that key and i really dont want to reinstall windows in 30 days any
| suggestions?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0517-6, 04/30/2005
Tested on: 5/1/2005 3:35:40 PM

I think it stinks, but unfortunately for you and others, an OEM version of
XP is permanently tied to the first machine (motherboard) originally
installed - when the machine (motherboard) dies, XP dies, unless you can get
an exact/compatible replacement motherboard from the manufacturer or the
manufacturer will supply a new CD BIOS locked to you new motherboard, you
only have one option - but an XP full version and do a repair install. Yes,
an upgrade will get you by this time, but what about next time, when you
format and want to do a clean install? You'll need some type of qualifying
media for the upgrade version to work - an old Win9x will do if you have
one, but otherwise, it'll be a hassle.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"jamiecccp" <jamiecccp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i currently need to activate my windows xp home edition i have until the
>end
> of the month
>
> the problem is i have an Windows XP Home Edition emachines key and when i
> bought my new mobo and cpu two days ago, when i ran windows xp it wouldnt
> work properly
>
> because emachines makes there products impossible to change i had to
> reformat my hdd
>
> so right now i have a windows xp key thats valid and i paid for but the
> non-emachine versions of windows doesnt support it so what i need is to
> activate windows and change the cd key i installed it with to my emachines
> cd
> key - which is probably impossible
>
> or get a cd key from microsoft or emachines in exchange for the key i have
>
> any ideas
>
> the key i used in installation was my cousins - i understand i cant
> activate
> that key and i really dont want to reinstall windows in 30 days any
> suggestions?

i'm just a little mad that my cd key is invalid

thanks for the help