Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Abit 9600XT startup problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 4:29:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I have an Abit 9600XT 256mb VIVO card. When I start up the computer
cold, the video output has mass quantities of horizontal white lines
that garble the display. After about 5 minutes, these go away and the
display is ghosting with small black horizontal lines. After about 30
minutes, the display clears up and looks normal.

I have an Asus P4P800-e Deluxe motherboard, P4 2.8ghz, 512meg ram,
Windows XP Pro with SP1...............

This is the 3rd video card to mess up in this computer....all have been
ATI 9600XT cards..........

Any ideas?
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 11:33:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

what brand and size is your power supply?

--
Robbie
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/rmorris/ollie.htm
"Eric Lancer" <ericlancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Ui%pd.938$6K5.400@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>I have an Abit 9600XT 256mb VIVO card. When I start up the computer
>cold, the video output has mass quantities of horizontal white lines that
>garble the display. After about 5 minutes, these go away and the display
>is ghosting with small black horizontal lines. After about 30 minutes, the
>display clears up and looks normal.
>
> I have an Asus P4P800-e Deluxe motherboard, P4 2.8ghz, 512meg ram, Windows
> XP Pro with SP1...............
>
> This is the 3rd video card to mess up in this computer....all have been
> ATI 9600XT cards..........
>
> Any ideas?
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:15:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Robbie wrote:

> what brand and size is your power supply?
>
Its a sparkle 300w...................according to ASUS Probe...the
voltages are all within normal limits.
Related resources
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:15:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Get a bigger power supply, at least a 400w.

Just do it!


"Eric Lancer" <ericlancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:b07qd.1916$6K5.1402@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Robbie wrote:
>
>> what brand and size is your power supply?
>>
> Its a sparkle 300w...................according to ASUS Probe...the
> voltages are all within normal limits.
November 28, 2004 1:15:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Before you spend another dime on anything, try the card in another computer
when it's cold. It could be the card is bad or has a bad solder joint and
when it heats up enough it kicks in.

DaveL


"ShoNuff" <ShoNuff@papernapkin.net> wrote in message
news:VT7qd.9844$SA.5813@lakeread02...
> Get a bigger power supply, at least a 400w.
>
> Just do it!
>
>
> "Eric Lancer" <ericlancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:b07qd.1916$6K5.1402@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> > Robbie wrote:
> >
> >> what brand and size is your power supply?
> >>
> > Its a sparkle 300w...................according to ASUS Probe...the
> > voltages are all within normal limits.
>
>
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:39:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

STILL, get a bigger power supply! 300 will not properly support any else
you may add to you system. So, quit messing around and get a proper power
supply. Especially since you say THREE video cards did not work right.

The power supply could show proper voltages in a probe but that does not
measure the WATTS needed to run all of your stuff.

Again, just do it!

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o pudnXRNetvrtDTcRVn-og@comcast.com...
> Before you spend another dime on anything, try the card in another
> computer
> when it's cold. It could be the card is bad or has a bad solder joint and
> when it heats up enough it kicks in.
>
> DaveL
>
>
> "ShoNuff" <ShoNuff@papernapkin.net> wrote in message
> news:VT7qd.9844$SA.5813@lakeread02...
>> Get a bigger power supply, at least a 400w.
>>
>> Just do it!
>>
>>
>> "Eric Lancer" <ericlancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:b07qd.1916$6K5.1402@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> > Robbie wrote:
>> >
>> >> what brand and size is your power supply?
>> >>
>> > Its a sparkle 300w...................according to ASUS Probe...the
>> > voltages are all within normal limits.
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:46:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

ShoNuff schrieb:
> STILL, get a bigger power supply! 300 will not properly support any else
> you may add to you system. So, quit messing around and get a proper power
> supply. Especially since you say THREE video cards did not work right.
>
> The power supply could show proper voltages in a probe but that does not
> measure the WATTS needed to run all of your stuff.
>
> Again, just do it!
>

As mentioned before, first give it a try in another machine. In case of
success try a first class quality psu (not one with a lot "WATTS").

Niclaas
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 8:19:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Here's an interesting method:
http://www.directron.com/psu.html

Jez wrote:
>
> What makes would you regard as good ?
November 29, 2004 3:13:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Airman Thunderbird wrote:
> Here's an interesting method:
> http://www.directron.com/psu.html

LOL...I've been reading reviews all weekend !
Still haven't come to any final decisions, but thanks for another review
to run through !

:) 

>
> Jez wrote:
>
>>
>> What makes would you regard as good ?


--
Jez
'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable
notion that you should base your actions on reality, you are too often
led to accept, without much questioning, someone else's version of what
that reality is. It is a crucial act of independent thinking to be
skeptical of someone else's description of reality.'-
Howard Zinn

Skype callto://hellward
NFS Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit 2, Underground.
Yeowww
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 3:13:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

A list of the "good" ones:

Antec
http://www.antec.com/us/pro_powerSupply.html

Enermax
http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/index.htm

Thermaltake
http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/main.htm

PC Power & Cooling http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/

I'm using this one at the moment:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

Jez wrote:
> Airman Thunderbird wrote:
>
>> Here's an interesting method:
>> http://www.directron.com/psu.html
>
>
> LOL...I've been reading reviews all weekend !
> Still haven't come to any final decisions, but thanks for another review
> to run through !
>
> :) 
>
>>
>> Jez wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> What makes would you regard as good ?
>
>
>
November 29, 2004 4:45:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Jez" <iced_spear@NODAMNSPAMpipex.com> wrote in message
news:L7KdneYAIJlQxzfcRVnygg@pipex.net...
> Eddy wrote:
>> "ShoNuff" <ShoNuff@papernapkin.net> wrote in message
>> news:FFbqd.11594$SA.7352@lakeread02...
>>
>
> What makes would you regard as good ?
>
I'm using Enhance at the moment, but in the past I have used Antec, Hiper
and Enermax, and would not hesitate to recomend any of the above makes.

Eddy
!