Abit 9600XT startup problems

I have an Abit 9600XT 256mb VIVO card. When I start up the computer
cold, the video output has mass quantities of horizontal white lines
that garble the display. After about 5 minutes, these go away and the
display is ghosting with small black horizontal lines. After about 30
minutes, the display clears up and looks normal.

I have an Asus P4P800-e Deluxe motherboard, P4 2.8ghz, 512meg ram,
Windows XP Pro with SP1...............

This is the 3rd video card to mess up in this computer....all have been
ATI 9600XT cards..........

Any ideas?
10 answers Last reply
More about abit 9600xt startup problems

    what brand and size is your power supply?

    --
    Robbie
    http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/rmorris/ollie.htm

    Robbie wrote:

    > what brand and size is your power supply?

    Its a sparkle 300w...................according to ASUS Probe...the
    voltages are all within normal limits.

    Get a bigger power supply, at least a 400w.

    Just do it!

    > Robbie wrote:
    >
    >> what brand and size is your power supply?
    >>
    > Its a sparkle 300w...................according to ASUS Probe...the
    > voltages are all within normal limits.

    Before you spend another dime on anything, try the card in another computer
    when it's cold. It could be the card is bad or has a bad solder joint and
    when it heats up enough it kicks in.

    DaveL

    "ShoNuff" <ShoNuff@papernapkin.net> wrote in message
    > Get a bigger power supply, at least a 400w.
    >
    > Just do it!
    >

    > "Eric Lancer" <ericlancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Robbie wrote:
    > >
    > >> what brand and size is your power supply?
    > >>
    > > Its a sparkle 300w...................according to ASUS Probe...the
    > > voltages are all within normal limits.

    STILL, get a bigger power supply! 300 will not properly support any else
    you may add to you system. So, quit messing around and get a proper power
    supply. Especially since you say THREE video cards did not work right.

    The power supply could show proper voltages in a probe but that does not
    measure the WATTS needed to run all of your stuff.

    Again, just do it!

    ShoNuff schrieb:
    > STILL, get a bigger power supply! 300 will not properly support any else
    > you may add to you system. So, quit messing around and get a proper power
    > supply. Especially since you say THREE video cards did not work right.
    >
    > The power supply could show proper voltages in a probe but that does not
    > measure the WATTS needed to run all of your stuff.
    >
    > Again, just do it!

    As mentioned before, first give it a try in another machine. In case of
    success try a first class quality psu (not one with a lot "WATTS").

    Niclaas

    Here's an interesting method:
    http://www.directron.com/psu.html

    Airman Thunderbird wrote:
    > Here's an interesting method:
    > http://www.directron.com/psu.html

    LOL...I've been reading reviews all weekend !
    Still haven't come to any final decisions, but thanks for another review
    to run through !

    :)

    > Jez wrote:
    >

    >> What makes would you regard as good ?

    --
    Jez
    'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable
    notion that you should base your actions on reality, you are too often
    led to accept, without much questioning, someone else's version of what
    that reality is. It is a crucial act of independent thinking to be
    skeptical of someone else's description of reality.'-
    Howard Zinn

    Skype callto://hellward
    NFS Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit 2, Underground.
    Yeowww

    A list of the "good" ones:

    Antec
    http://www.antec.com/us/pro_powerSupply.html

    Enermax
    http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/index.htm

    Thermaltake
    http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/main.htm

    PC Power & Cooling http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/

    I'm using this one at the moment:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-488&depa=1

    "Jez" <iced_spear@NODAMNSPAMpipex.com> wrote in message
    > Eddy wrote:
    >> "ShoNuff" <ShoNuff@papernapkin.net> wrote in message
    >>

    > What makes would you regard as good ?

    I'm using Enhance at the moment, but in the past I have used Antec, Hiper
    and Enermax, and would not hesitate to recomend any of the above makes.

    Eddy

Radeon Computer Graphics Displays