How to set up dual monitors with Radeon 9800

I've decided to take the plunge and get two lcd monitors to use with my
workstation. I'll want to have the two screens side by side, effectively
showing a panoramic view of my desktop, for use with business
applications. I've never done this before and am unsure of the cabling
needed.

The 9800 has two video jacks on it, one is DVI and the other is analog.
There is a DVI/analog adapter included, so perhaps I could run both lcds
in analog mode? However that's not likely to be ideal (I've only had
analog to date but assume dvi is better?). How can I get both to work in
DVI mode? Do I need a separate video card?

Also, I currently use an analog kvm switch so that the monitor etc
service two pcs. This will have to end? Or is there a workaround?

wheel wrote:

> I've decided to take the plunge and get two lcd monitors to use with my
> workstation. I'll want to have the two screens side by side, effectively
> showing a panoramic view of my desktop, for use with business
> applications. I've never done this before and am unsure of the cabling
> needed.
>
> The 9800 has two video jacks on it, one is DVI and the other is analog.
> There is a DVI/analog adapter included, so perhaps I could run both lcds
> in analog mode? However that's not likely to be ideal (I've only had
> analog to date but assume dvi is better?). How can I get both to work in
> DVI mode? Do I need a separate video card?

Try one in DVI the other in analog and see if you can see a difference. If
not, then don't worry about it, if so then you need a second board or need
to trade your 9800 for a workstation board.

> Also, I currently use an analog kvm switch so that the monitor etc
> service two pcs. This will have to end? Or is there a workaround?

If you make the analog monitor the primary then you'll be able to switch it
back and forth and still have the secondary displaying from the machine it
is attached to. This can sometimes be convenient.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)