Cool HL2 Mod updated

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Some of you may have used "Garry's mod" for HL2, which allowed you to do
crazy things like staple a spinning wheel to a combine.

It has now been updated with stuff like a "balloon gun" and tweaks to the
other aspects, including the ability to connect thrusting gas canisters to
anything and turn them on and off at will.

I have been playing with this mod for hours now and still have plans to do
stuff tomorrow.

It is now possible to spawn a flat piece of metal, then staple wheels to it.
Stand on it, then increase or reverse the wheel spin to make your own car!

Add balloons to make it fly, or venting cylinders to make an "air car",
which flies in any direction.

Spawn zombies and attach balloons to their hands. See them wave. Spawn
bricks, attach them together with a rope and then add a balloon and thruster
to them. Watch them go.

It is like having a dead posh meccano set with Lego, unlimited string and
explosives to play with!

http://www.garry.tv/garrysmod/

Regards

Schrodinger
20 answers Last reply
More about cool updated
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:02:15 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

    >Some of you may have used "Garry's mod" for HL2, which allowed you to do
    >crazy things like staple a spinning wheel to a combine.
    >
    >It has now been updated with stuff like a "balloon gun" and tweaks to the
    >other aspects, including the ability to connect thrusting gas canisters to
    >anything and turn them on and off at will.
    >
    >I have been playing with this mod for hours now and still have plans to do
    >stuff tomorrow.
    >
    >It is now possible to spawn a flat piece of metal, then staple wheels to it.
    >Stand on it, then increase or reverse the wheel spin to make your own car!
    >
    >Add balloons to make it fly, or venting cylinders to make an "air car",
    >which flies in any direction.
    >
    >Spawn zombies and attach balloons to their hands. See them wave. Spawn
    >bricks, attach them together with a rope and then add a balloon and thruster
    >to them. Watch them go.
    >
    >It is like having a dead posh meccano set with Lego, unlimited string and
    >explosives to play with!
    >
    >http://www.garry.tv/garrysmod/
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Schrodinger

    I've been keeping an eye on this mod and seeing the screen grabs of
    some really cool stuff. Guess it's time to go ahead and re-install
    Steam/HL2 and check it out for myself. Fun stuff.

    Pluvious
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, "Schrodinger" wrote:

    > I have been playing with this mod for hours now and still have plans to do
    > stuff tomorrow.

    oh please tell us something new!
    every "tomorrow" for the rest of your life will be devoted to pathetically
    play valve games over and over again
    i guess the more you play the more fanatical and loyal you'll be to valve
    right?
    it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve products
    have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are worrisome

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Schrodinger wrote:

    > Some of you may have used "Garry's mod" for HL2, which allowed you to do
    > crazy things like staple a spinning wheel to a combine.

    This sounds more like a game editor than a mod to me. Is it true that HL2
    levels still need to be compiled like in HL1? Wouldn't something like this
    be cool in some kind of on-the-fly editor to make or at least crowd levels
    with objects and stuff in realtime? How is it done with Doom3 and FarCry?

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, "Schrodinger" wrote:
    >
    >> I have been playing with this mod for hours now and still have plans to
    >> do
    >> stuff tomorrow.
    >
    > oh please tell us something new!
    > every "tomorrow" for the rest of your life will be devoted to pathetically
    > play valve games over and over again
    > i guess the more you play the more fanatical and loyal you'll be to valve
    > right?
    > it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve
    > products
    > have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are worrisome
    >
    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam
    >
    > please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

    Given the amount of anti Steam posts I have made, you have simply confirmed
    yourself as a troll - and not a very good one at that.

    "Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Schrodinger wrote:
    >
    >> Some of you may have used "Garry's mod" for HL2, which allowed you to do
    >> crazy things like staple a spinning wheel to a combine.
    >
    > This sounds more like a game editor than a mod to me. Is it true that HL2
    > levels still need to be compiled like in HL1? Wouldn't something like this
    > be cool in some kind of on-the-fly editor to make or at least crowd levels
    > with objects and stuff in realtime? How is it done with Doom3 and FarCry?

    You *can* use this mod in any HL2 level...

    > --
    > Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
    > "The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > Given the amount of anti Steam posts I have made, you have simply
    > confirmed yourself as a troll - and not a very good one at that.

    Here here. I second that motion.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    When do we vote on this motion?

    I vote that this is a troll!

    "General Panic" <boskofportkarMAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > Given the amount of anti Steam posts I have made, you have simply
    > > confirmed yourself as a troll - and not a very good one at that.
    > >
    > Here here. I second that motion.

  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    difool wrote:

    > it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve
    > products have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are
    > worrisome

    I agree. Ever since Steam was released it turned you into a homicidal
    maniac!

    Schrodinger wrote:

    > You *can* use this mod in any HL2 level...

    How?

    "Smart Feet" <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote in message

    > Schrodinger wrote:
    >>
    >> You *can* use this mod in any HL2 level...
    >>

    > How?

    Look around the area you start in, there may some helpful pictorial
    hints....

    "Smart Feet" <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote in message

    > Schrodinger wrote:
    >>
    >> You *can* use this mod in any HL2 level...
    >>

    > How?

    Start the mod via Steam. Start a new game. Look in the right hand
    corridor, next to where the vehicles are kept.

    "Use" a picture to enter that level. You cannot progress through the whole
    game, as in at least one place you need the rocket launcher to get past a
    gunship, but you can play through large sections by attaching spinning tyres
    to combines and shooting zombies with bricks!

    You can also use the cheat console to load any level. Check
    www.gamefaqs.com for further details.

    My favourite is roping combine together, attach a rope to, say, a car wreck.
    Attach wheels to said wreck (making sure opposite sides are spinning in the
    *same* direction - as you don't want it to go forward). Set things spinning
    and see them fly off!

    Hank the Rapper wrote:
    > difool wrote:
    >

    >>it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve
    >>products have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are
    >>worrisome
    >

    > I agree. Ever since Steam was released it turned you into a homicidal
    > maniac!

    You spelled "homosexual" wrong, and left out the prefix "nympho-".

    Naw, just a goat chomping Troll, and not a very good one at that....
    Everyone is laughing at his ignorance....

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:36:56 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
    <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >difool wrote:
    >
    >> it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve
    >> products have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are
    >> worrisome
    >
    >I agree. Ever since Steam was released it turned you into a homicidal
    >maniac!

    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
    the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
    and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
    the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
    thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

    I didn't compose this but I love it!!!

    Killah Gorillah wrote:
    > Hank the Rapper wrote:
    > > I agree. Ever since Steam was released it turned you into a
    homicidal
    > > maniac!
    >
    > You spelled "homosexual" wrong, and left out the prefix "nympho-".

    Easy now! There's no evidence of that. Don't get carried away into
    trolling yourself.

    But I cast my vote in favour of Troll status for difool. Look at the
    example on this thread.

    Schrodinger: I like this mod. It's fun.
    difool: It's a mod of HL2, HL2 is delivered through Steam. I don't like
    Steam. Steam was made by Valve. Therefore Valve are cynically
    manipulating Schrodinger! QED! Ha ha! I am teh master! I am Gordon! Ha
    Ha! Crowbars to the lot of you! [collapses gibbering in corner]

    Werner Spahl wrote:
    > This sounds more like a game editor than a mod to me. Wouldn't
    something like this
    > be cool in some kind of on-the-fly editor to make or at least crowd
    levels
    > with objects and stuff in realtime?

    Other way round. This is a mod, not an editor. Garry has edited the
    code for the game and recompiled it so that you can do all these
    effects in-game and on-the-fly - exactly as you wish for. In an editor,
    the effects are pre-constructed at compile time and will appear
    ready-made when you play the game.
    It doesn't look like you can make your own maps with pre-constructed
    Garry-style creations, but you might be able to make a map with all the
    bits lying around, start HL2 with Garry'sMod and then use the console
    to run your new map. You would then be able to make wierd creations in
    your own map.

    > Is it true that HL2
    > levels still need to be compiled like in HL1?
    Yes. You can now download the SDK through Steam. It includes the Hammer
    editor to make the levels and all the compile programs you need.

    Personally, I'd love to see this mod available as an editor resource so
    you can build levels with bizarre machina in them. Better still, the
    ability for the player to build stuff in-game should be enabled when
    they pick up a certain weapon - the same as the you can't chuck things
    around until you get the gravity gun, and you can't chuck people around
    until you get the super gravity gun.

    Werner Spahl wrote:
    > Now imagine a level editor in which you use
    > something like Garrys mod after the geometry is compiled to place all
    the
    > entities on the fly and then fix the whole level together with some
    kind
    > of snapshot after everything has been placed like you wanted it.
    After
    > all I think this is the way the gravity gun was used in the first
    place.

    I see what you mean. Make the basic level in Hammer/Quark, then do the
    fancy stuff in-game so you can see the reuslts instantly and test it
    properly. And then save it somehow so the next time you play the map
    it's all there ready for you.
    That would be great, but from what I've seen of Hammer so far, your
    prior experience with HL1 is nearer the mark. Shame. I wonder if Garry
    will nmake his entities etc available so they can be used in the
    editor, a la Spirit?

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 chadwick110@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Other way round. This is a mod, not an editor. Garry has edited the
    > code for the game and recompiled it so that you can do all these
    > effects in-game and on-the-fly - exactly as you wish for.

    I know, but this must get old fast, without being useful to play the game
    itself and such a mod would make much more sense for editing levels.

    > In an editor, the effects are pre-constructed at compile time and will
    > appear ready-made when you play the game.

    Again I know this. I did a small HL mod called Xen-Warrior (search for
    xenwar on fileplanet ;) in which you play as an alien grunt, using the at
    that time already defunct but cool levelpack HL-Chronicles and the great
    QuArK editor, by changing only the entities and not the level geometry
    itself (besides some nice engine stuff using Spirit of HL :). I always had
    to place stuff in the editor, compile it into the level bsp, then play to
    check it out, repeat again. Now imagine a level editor in which you use
    something like Garrys mod after the geometry is compiled to place all the
    entities on the fly and then fix the whole level together with some kind
    of snapshot after everything has been placed like you wanted it. After
    all I think this is the way the gravity gun was used in the first place.

  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> typed as if devouring a plate of
    spoo:
    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, "Schrodinger" wrote:
    >
    >> I have been playing with this mod for hours now and still have plans
    >> to do stuff tomorrow.
    >
    > oh please tell us something new!
    > every "tomorrow" for the rest of your life will be devoted to
    > pathetically play valve games over and over again
    > i guess the more you play the more fanatical and loyal you'll be to
    > valve right?
    > it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve
    > products have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are
    > worrisome

    Dude, if you hate HL so much now, what're you still doing in AGHL?

    There is no spoon.

    EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
    My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
    Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action Schrodinger <no@way.com> wrote:
    > "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
    >>
    >> oh please tell us something new!
    >> every "tomorrow" for the rest of your life will be devoted to pathetically
    >> play valve games over and over again
    >> i guess the more you play the more fanatical and loyal you'll be to valve
    >> right?
    >> it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve
    >> products
    >> have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are worrisome
    >>
    >> --
    >> post made in a steam-free computer
    >> i said "NO" to valve and steam
    >>
    >> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
    >> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
    >
    > Given the amount of anti Steam posts I have made, you have simply confirmed
    > yourself as a troll - and not a very good one at that.

    not a very good one, eh? i guess that's why he receives so few replies!
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "i own a yacht" wrote

    > <no@way.com> wrote:

    >> Given the amount of anti Steam posts I have made, you have simply
    >> confirmed
    >> yourself as a troll - and not a very good one at that.

    > not a very good one, eh? i guess that's why he receives so few replies!

    Do I detect a slight hint of sarcasm Mr Yacht?

    You're right of course. Difool can write any rubbish he wants and he will
    still get loads of responses.

    He should get company sponsorship.

    "Nice carpet... is it a Tideyman's?".

Games Video Games