ATI Tool causing some strange conflicts?

This is really strange. I'm using version 2.5.58 of the Omega Drivers for
my 256MB 9800Pro. These drivers have worked flawlessly, but lately, I've
noticed a very weird problem with ATITool (version 0.0.20). It seems
whenever ATITool is running in the background (on the system tray), it
prevents certain programs/control pannels from opening. For instance,
Notepad will not open. I also cannot get into the Device Manager. However,
when I exit ATITool, everything works fine. Notepad and the Device Manager
open up flawlessly.

This is *not* a spyware or virus issue, as I frequently scan my machine and
take excellent preventitive measures to stop the stuff from getting on there
in the first place. I even tried replacing notepad.exe with a copy I found
on merijn.org, but that was also a no-go.

Is there a setting in ATITool that might be causing this? I really like
having it load at startup so it can automatically switch between my
overclocked 3D settings, and the "default" Windows 2D settings.

"Patrick Michael" <heismanpat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is really strange. I'm using version 2.5.58 of the Omega Drivers for
> my 256MB 9800Pro. These drivers have worked flawlessly, but lately, I've
> noticed a very weird problem with ATITool (version 0.0.20). It seems
> whenever ATITool is running in the background (on the system tray), it
> prevents certain programs/control pannels from opening. For instance,
> Notepad will not open. I also cannot get into the Device Manager.
> However, when I exit ATITool, everything works fine. Notepad and the
> Device Manager open up flawlessly.
>
> This is *not* a spyware or virus issue, as I frequently scan my machine
> and take excellent preventitive measures to stop the stuff from getting on
> there in the first place. I even tried replacing notepad.exe with a copy
> I found on merijn.org, but that was also a no-go.
>
> Is there a setting in ATITool that might be causing this? I really like
> having it load at startup so it can automatically switch between my
> overclocked 3D settings, and the "default" Windows 2D settings.

Try downloading version 0.22

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

> Try downloading version 0.22
>
> http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

That seems to have done the trick! I probably should have downloaded this a
long time ago, as there was apparently a bug that prevented SP2 and Athlon64
systems from entering 3D mode. Thanks HockeyTown.

> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Try downloading version 0.22
>>
>> http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
>
> That seems to have done the trick! I probably should have downloaded this
> a long time ago, as there was apparently a bug that prevented SP2 and
> Athlon64 systems from entering 3D mode. Thanks HockeyTown.

NP. When in doubt, update. Not that that always fixes the issue, but its a
good start.

Have you tried RadLinker? It's the only Radeon tweaker/oc utility that does
not need to run in the background at all.