Disk Management after loading XP2

I'm testing XP2 on a lab at my office network.
I have added program exceptions for
c:\windows\system32\dmremote.exe:*:enabled and I've also added port
exceptions for ports 135 and 445 and I'm still unable to use Disk Manager to
manage remote computer.
I keep getting the following message: The Disk Management console failed to
conect to the remote computer because the Disk Management remoting sevices is
not in the Windows Firewall exception list. Add the Disk Management remoting
service (dmremote.exe) to the Windows Firewall exception list and try again...

Any ideas.
4 answers Last reply
More about disk management loading

    did you add those to the local machine or the remote one or both?

    "Edward" <Edward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm testing XP2 on a lab at my office network.
    > I have added program exceptions for
    > c:\windows\system32\dmremote.exe:*:enabled and I've also added port
    > exceptions for ports 135 and 445 and I'm still unable to use Disk Manager
    > manage remote computer.
    > I keep getting the following message: The Disk Management console failed
    > conect to the remote computer because the Disk Management remoting sevices
    > is
    > not in the Windows Firewall exception list. Add the Disk Management
    > remoting
    > service (dmremote.exe) to the Windows Firewall exception list and try
    > again...
    >
    > Any ideas.

    I'm using a group policy, and I've run rsop and I know that the policy has
    been set on all computers in my lab.

    "Dave" wrote:

    > did you add those to the local machine or the remote one or both?
    >
    > "Edward" <Edward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm testing XP2 on a lab at my office network.
    > > I have added program exceptions for
    > > c:\windows\system32\dmremote.exe:*:enabled and I've also added port
    > > exceptions for ports 135 and 445 and I'm still unable to use Disk Manager
    > > manage remote computer.
    > > I keep getting the following message: The Disk Management console failed
    > > conect to the remote computer because the Disk Management remoting sevices
    > > is
    > > not in the Windows Firewall exception list. Add the Disk Management
    > > remoting
    > > service (dmremote.exe) to the Windows Firewall exception list and try
    > > again...
    > >
    > > Any ideas.

    I am experiencing this problem with Windows 2000 servers. I can use disk
    management just fine from my XP box to my 2003 boxes but I get the same error
    when I use disk management on a 2000 box. At first i suspected that the
    problem was that the path to the diskmanagement EXE is not the same on 2000
    and 2003. If is c:\winnt\system32 and c:\windows\system32 respectively. So I
    changed the path to %windir%\system32 but this did not help....

    "Edward" wrote:

    > I'm using a group policy, and I've run rsop and I know that the policy has
    > been set on all computers in my lab.
    >
    > "Dave" wrote:
    >
    > > did you add those to the local machine or the remote one or both?
    > >
    > > "Edward" <Edward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm testing XP2 on a lab at my office network.
    > > > I have added program exceptions for
    > > > c:\windows\system32\dmremote.exe:*:enabled and I've also added port
    > > > exceptions for ports 135 and 445 and I'm still unable to use Disk Manager
    > > > manage remote computer.
    > > > I keep getting the following message: The Disk Management console failed
    > > > conect to the remote computer because the Disk Management remoting sevices
    > > > is
    > > > not in the Windows Firewall exception list. Add the Disk Management
    > > > remoting
    > > > service (dmremote.exe) to the Windows Firewall exception list and try
    > > > again...
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas.

    Check this out.

    I fixed my XP PRO computer with SP2 to perform Disk Managment and all other
    MMC snap-in administrative functions on my remote network computer (Win XP
    Pro):

    dmremote.exe needs to be added to the Firewall Exception List.
    dmadmin.exe also needs to be added to the Firewall Exception List.

    I examined my System Error Log and found the following error:

    DCOM got error "The RPC server is unavailable. " from the computer %1 when
    attempting to activate the server:
    %2

    %1= my computer network ID for computer 1

    %2 is the (Default) value of
    My
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{4FB6BB00-3347-11D0-B40A-00AA005FF586}
    key searchable in the registry is the value of the AppID for LocalServer32

    You can search for the value e.g. 4FB6BB00-3347... using regedit and finding
    wherever it exists. I did this and suspected that adding dmadmin to my
    exception list might fix the problem. Along with the following
    configurations, this seemed to be the case.

    In order for remote administration using Disk Management from MMC.exe to
    work several conditions may have to or should exist:

    Firewall Exception List:
    TCP Port 135 should be open (Add the Port)
    X:\WINDOWS\System32\dmadmin.exe (Add the program)
    X:\WINDOWS\System32\dmremote.exe (Add the program)

    Modify the Group Policy Settings using the Group Policy snap-in from mmc.exe:

    Console Root\Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative
    Templates\Network\Network Conifiguration\Windows Firewall\Standard Profile

    Enable the following:
    Define Program Exceptions (Add mmc.exe)
    Allow Local Program Exceptions (Enabled)
    Allow Remote Administration Exception (add * or ip of appropriate computer(s))
    Define Port Exceptions (Add TCP Port 135)
    Allow Local Port Exceptions (Enabled)

    Also:

    Configure Disk Manager Administrative Service in DCOM to allow the
    appropriate Computers and Locations
    to launch the service.
    Start > Run > dcomcnfg
    Navigate to Component Services\Computers\My Computer\DCOM Config and view
    the properties (right click Properties) of the Logical Disk Manager
    Administrative Service

    Configure the Location Tab: Select Run application of this computer and Run
    application on the following computer
    - browse for and add the remote computer (ensures that it is available on
    the network) or enter its Network ID

    Configure the Security Tab: Allow users that are allowed to launch the
    service by Customizing and checking 'Allow' for the appropriate users
    (probably Administrators, Interactive, Self and System). I checked them all.

    I also configured 'Logical Disk Manager Remote Client' and 'MMC Application
    Class' in the same way.

    Restart the computer and try Disk Management for the remote computer.

    Make sure that you specify the IP address of the local computer and the
    localsubnet for the ports and exceptions that are configured.

    I configured the remote computer in exactly the same way using the
    recipricol addresses and equivalent settings. This is probably necessary.

    Finally... this was bugging me for two days.

    --
    Ken Niebling
    MCSA/MCSE student

    "Josh" wrote:

    > I am experiencing this problem with Windows 2000 servers. I can use disk
    > management just fine from my XP box to my 2003 boxes but I get the same error
    > when I use disk management on a 2000 box. At first i suspected that the
    > problem was that the path to the diskmanagement EXE is not the same on 2000
    > and 2003. If is c:\winnt\system32 and c:\windows\system32 respectively. So I
    > changed the path to %windir%\system32 but this did not help....
    >

    > "Edward" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using a group policy, and I've run rsop and I know that the policy has
    > > been set on all computers in my lab.
    > >
    > > "Dave" wrote:
    > >
    > > > did you add those to the local machine or the remote one or both?
    > > >
    > > > "Edward" <Edward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Disk Management Computers Windows XP