Turning on the firewall via a GPO

a b 8 Security
May 2, 2005 8:33:45 PM

Hello:

I have been working on getting my network ready for WinXP SP2. The firewall
is the big thing for me. I have found the GPO that allows me to turn the
firewall on, but when I do that the user can not turn it off if they choose
to. Ideally I want the firewall configured so it will be on everytime the
user restarts there computer. They can turn it off, but when the computer
reboots the firewall will be back on again.

Does any know if I can configure it this way?

Harrison Midkiff

More about : turning firewall gpo

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 2, 2005 8:33:46 PM

Check out:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

and the useful links at end of that article.

Do let us know if it helps. Thanks.

"Harrison Midkiff" wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have been working on getting my network ready for WinXP SP2. The firewall
> is the big thing for me. I have found the GPO that allows me to turn the
> firewall on, but when I do that the user can not turn it off if they choose
> to. Ideally I want the firewall configured so it will be on everytime the
> user restarts there computer. They can turn it off, but when the computer
> reboots the firewall will be back on again.
>
> Does any know if I can configure it this way?
>
> Harrison Midkiff

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2005 1:31:45 PM

Hi Harrison,

Thanks for posting here. Also thank the other customer's reply.

From your post, my understanding of your concern is: You want to know how
to configure the Windows Firewall to allow user to turn off the Firewall,
but itself will turn on after next restarting. If this is not correct,
please feel free to let me know.

Although there isn't a proper simple policy with GPO to do this, we still
can complete this by Script:

1. Edit a script which can run the following command:

netsh firewall set opmode enable

Above command will turn on the Windows Firewall

For more information about this command, please refer to the following
document:

Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service
Pack 2
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8/a/68a81446-c...
ac4e8/wf_xpsp2.doc

2. Add the script file to Domain Default GPO as Computer Startup or/and
Shutdown Scripts

For more information about how to write script and GPO Startup/Shutdown
Scripts, please refer to the following Microsoft Web site:

Script Center
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter...

Windows 2000 Computer Startup Scripts:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows200...
ze/startw2k.asp?frame=true

Active Directory Services and Group Policy in Windows Server 2003:
http://www.microsoft.com/israel/events/downloads/ws2003...
y.ppt

Hope this helps!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
>From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGVzbW9uZCBMZWU=?=" <mcp@donotspamplease.mars>
>Subject: RE: Turning on the firewall via a GPO
>Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 15:31:02 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
>
>Check out:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...
>
>and the useful links at end of that article.
>
>Do let us know if it helps. Thanks.
>

>"Harrison Midkiff" wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> I have been working on getting my network ready for WinXP SP2. The
firewall
>> is the big thing for me. I have found the GPO that allows me to turn the
>> firewall on, but when I do that the user can not turn it off if they
choose
>> to. Ideally I want the firewall configured so it will be on everytime
the
>> user restarts there computer. They can turn it off, but when the
computer
>> reboots the firewall will be back on again.
>>
>> Does any know if I can configure it this way?
>>
>> Harrison Midkiff

a b 8 Security
May 3, 2005 1:31:46 PM

Tom:

Excellent.... Works perfectly.... Thanks....

Harrison Midkiff

"Tom Che [MSFT]" <v-tomche@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Harrison,
>
> Thanks for posting here. Also thank the other customer's reply.
>
> From your post, my understanding of your concern is: You want to know how
> to configure the Windows Firewall to allow user to turn off the Firewall,
> but itself will turn on after next restarting. If this is not correct,
> please feel free to let me know.
>
> Although there isn't a proper simple policy with GPO to do this, we still
> can complete this by Script:
>
> 1. Edit a script which can run the following command:
>
> netsh firewall set opmode enable
>
> Above command will turn on the Windows Firewall
>
> For more information about this command, please refer to the following
> document:
>
> Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service
> Pack 2
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8/a/68a81446-c...
> ac4e8/wf_xpsp2.doc
>
> 2. Add the script file to Domain Default GPO as Computer Startup or/and
> Shutdown Scripts
>
> For more information about how to write script and GPO Startup/Shutdown
> Scripts, please refer to the following Microsoft Web site:
>
> Script Center
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter...
>
> Windows 2000 Computer Startup Scripts:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows200...
> ze/startw2k.asp?frame=true
>
> Active Directory Services and Group Policy in Windows Server 2003:
> http://www.microsoft.com/israel/events/downloads/ws2003...
> y.ppt
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Sincerely,
> Tom Che
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> rights.
>
> --------------------
>>From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGVzbW9uZCBMZWU=?=" <mcp@donotspamplease.mars>
>>Subject: RE: Turning on the firewall via a GPO
>>Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 15:31:02 -0700
>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
>>
>>Check out:
>>

>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...
>>
>>and the useful links at end of that article.
>>
>>Do let us know if it helps. Thanks.
>>

>>"Harrison Midkiff" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I have been working on getting my network ready for WinXP SP2. The
> firewall
>>> is the big thing for me. I have found the GPO that allows me to turn the
>>> firewall on, but when I do that the user can not turn it off if they
> choose
>>> to. Ideally I want the firewall configured so it will be on everytime
> the
>>> user restarts there computer. They can turn it off, but when the
> computer
>>> reboots the firewall will be back on again.
>>>
>>> Does any know if I can configure it this way?
>>>
>>> Harrison Midkiff

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 4, 2005 12:56:40 PM

Hi Harrison,

I appreciate your update and response, and I am glad to hear that the
problem has been fixed. If you have any other questions or concerns,
please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of
assistance.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/suppo...
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/suppo...

Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.