Cannot Start Full System Scan in NAV 2004 After SP2

May 2, 2005 8:47:52 PM

After installing the 4/12 updates from Windows Update, I completely lost the
ability to run a manual or scheduled full system scan in Norton AntiVirus
2004 Professional. It ran fine prior to this.

Due to another unrelated hardware issue, I opted to do a fesh install of XP
Pro SP1 (from my MSDN Operating Systems membership) on a brand new hard
drive. I decided to install all of the required/critical updates to XP
before installing NAV 2004 Pro. Prior to installing NAV and SP2, I ran
Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, McAfee Stinger, Trend Micro's Sysclean,
then did on-line virus scans from McAfee and Norton's sites. Nothing was
found by any of these.

I installed SP2, then installed NAV 2004 Pro and I STILL can't do a full
system scan. NAVW32.EXE starts in the process list in Task Manager, but just
sits there doing nothing. No I/O read/write changes. The NAV interface also
does nothing--no errors, does not lock-up--just sits there idle.

I've reinstalled NAV2004, tried Symantec's priority support, re-installed
Windows Script 5.3 (I believe that was one of Symantec's suggestions) and
even tried cleaning the registry and the hard drive of all Symantec and
Norton files and common files. Still doesn't work. I can't find anything
specific about this problem on these newsgroups, Symantec's support site or
Google Groups.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brad
May 3, 2005 8:31:18 AM

Get rid of everything Norton and download Grisoft's AVG Free Edition.

!