How to use "Administrative Privilges" To unlock an account

May 2, 2005 9:52:03 PM

Ok, I have 3 Administrative accounts.. (Including the "Underground" account)
In GP, I have the password policy (Invalid log-on attempts) set to 2. Well,
after two invalid log-on attempts, not only is one account locked, but the
other as well. (Both are admin accounts, under the same password, but
differnt names) so... I get the message "This account has been locked due
to.... Please contact your system admin" Well, that would be me -_-, the sys
admin. OK, so I log onto the "Underground" Admin account (CTRL+ALT+DELETE
ADMINISTRATOR) and from there, what can I do to unlock thoes accounts?
(Besides going through gpedit and setting the invalid password attmpts to 0,
there must be an easier way!!!)

Contact me via:
Email: Kstanso@adelphia.net
AIM: xXxuntuchablxxx
MSN: Kstanso@hotmail.com
ICQ: ????
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:38:12 AM

You need to know the password!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Kevin" wrote:

| Ok, I have 3 Administrative accounts.. (Including the "Underground" account)
| In GP, I have the password policy (Invalid log-on attempts) set to 2. Well,
| after two invalid log-on attempts, not only is one account locked, but the
| other as well. (Both are admin accounts, under the same password, but
| differnt names) so... I get the message "This account has been locked due
| to.... Please contact your system admin" Well, that would be me -_-, the sys
| admin. OK, so I log onto the "Underground" Admin account (CTRL+ALT+DELETE
| ADMINISTRATOR) and from there, what can I do to unlock thoes accounts?
| (Besides going through gpedit and setting the invalid password attmpts to 0,
| there must be an easier way!!!)
|

| Contact me via:
| Email: Kstanso@adelphia.net
| AIM: xXxuntuchablxxx
| MSN: Kstanso@hotmail.com
| ICQ: ????

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0518-1, 05/02/2005
Tested on: 5/2/2005 8:38:12 PM
May 3, 2005 4:23:57 AM

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I have 3 Administrative accounts.. (Including the "Underground"
> account)
> In GP, I have the password policy (Invalid log-on attempts) set to 2.
> Well,
> after two invalid log-on attempts, not only is one account locked, but the
> other as well. (Both are admin accounts, under the same password, but
> differnt names) so... I get the message "This account has been locked due
> to.... Please contact your system admin" Well, that would be me -_-, the
> sys
> admin. OK, so I log onto the "Underground" Admin account (CTRL+ALT+DELETE
> ADMINISTRATOR) and from there, what can I do to unlock thoes accounts?
> (Besides going through gpedit and setting the invalid password attmpts to
> 0,
> there must be an easier way!!!)
>

> Contact me via:
> Email: Kstanso@adelphia.net
> AIM: xXxuntuchablxxx
> MSN: Kstanso@hotmail.com
> ICQ: ????

Log on with an account that has admin rights, then Start--> Run -->
COMPMGMT.MSC, go to Local Users and Groups, find the user and double-click
it. Checkbox to unlock is there.

Setting it back to 0 wouldn't help... unless I'm mistaken, that would only
affect future lockouts, but the accounts that were already locked would stay
locked.

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP