Is there a program to control Security permissions for use..

a b 8 Security
May 3, 2005 5:32:02 AM

Hi,

I wonder if there is a program to get fast overview of users' permissions
(Full Control, Modify, Read, Write etc.) on different folders in file server.
For example there are thousands of folders (sort of tree) and obviusly they
can't be controlled one-by-one. The program should have logical interface and
options for different views, e.g where does certain user have rights, where
have certain groups rights etc.

I'm sure most of system administrators have faced the issue. Does anybody
have something to suggest?

Yours,
William Great
May 3, 2005 10:14:36 AM

William Great wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if there is a program to get fast overview of users'
> permissions (Full Control, Modify, Read, Write etc.) on different
> folders in file server. For example there are thousands of folders
> (sort of tree) and obviusly they can't be controlled one-by-one. The
> program should have logical interface and options for different views,
> e.g where does certain user have rights, where have certain groups
> rights etc.
>
> I'm sure most of system administrators have faced the issue. Does
> anybody have something to suggest?
>
> Yours,
> William Great

You didn't say what operating system - XP Pro or Server. However, the
general answer is:

Group Policy Editor. Start>Run gpedit.msc [enter]

Here are some other newsgroups which may be useful for questions about
GPE:

microsoft.public.windows.group_policy
microsoft.public.windows.server.general

Malke