Camera shop says Fuji worst...

MG

My local camera shop say they see more Fuji cameras in for repair or
returnd broken than any other make??

What are general experiences?

MG
UK
**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:19:09 GMT, myhat100550.3170@compuserve.com (MG)
wrote:

>My local camera shop say they see more Fuji cameras in for repair or
>returnd broken than any other make??
>
>What are general experiences?
>
>MG
>UK
>**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!

Canon seems to have a terrible reputation for needing repairs. When
my daughter's expensive Canon quit working, the repair center said
"Yeah, that is a common problem".

Pj

"Common problem" could mean anything. I am not defending "Canon" nor do I
own own but these "off-the-cuff" statements are often meant to relax the
customer. If your sugeon told you he did the gallbladder operation you
needed 100 times per week it would make you feel better that it is
commonplace.

Also "common problem" may mean this is the most common problem with the
canon he has handled. This means of the two repairs he has handled they were
the same. The quality of the product will be determined by how long they
take and how much they charge you and how much fuss they make against you.

Every brand has their minor glitches. If they made them perfect you would
still be buying 640x480 hi-resolution cameras for $2K

I have seen and heard good things about Canon cameras. (my old Hi-8
Camcorder excepted) I own two fujis , a Kyocera 5Mp which I dumped, and a
Pentax Optio 550 which "blows the doors" off the other three I have.

"PJx" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:19:09 GMT, myhat100550.3170@compuserve.com (MG)
> wrote:
>
> >My local camera shop say they see more Fuji cameras in for repair or
> >returnd broken than any other make??
> >
> >What are general experiences?
> >
> >MG
> >UK
> >**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!
>
> Canon seems to have a terrible reputation for needing repairs. When
> my daughter's expensive Canon quit working, the repair center said
> "Yeah, that is a common problem".
>
> Pj

ooooops... delete the references to "Canon"

My bad!...LOL

"Gymmy Bob" <NoThanx@spammie.com> wrote in message
> "Common problem" could mean anything. I am not defending "Canon" nor do I
> own own but these "off-the-cuff" statements are often meant to relax the
> customer. If your sugeon told you he did the gallbladder operation you
> needed 100 times per week it would make you feel better that it is
> commonplace.
>
> Also "common problem" may mean this is the most common problem with the
> canon he has handled. This means of the two repairs he has handled they
were
> the same. The quality of the product will be determined by how long they
> take and how much they charge you and how much fuss they make against you.
>
> Every brand has their minor glitches. If they made them perfect you would
> still be buying 640x480 hi-resolution cameras for $2K
>
> I have seen and heard good things about Canon cameras. (my old Hi-8
> Camcorder excepted) I own two fujis , a Kyocera 5Mp which I dumped, and a
> Pentax Optio 550 which "blows the doors" off the other three I have.
>
> "PJx" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:19:09 GMT, myhat100550.3170@compuserve.com (MG)
> > wrote:
> >
> > >My local camera shop say they see more Fuji cameras in for repair or
> > >returnd broken than any other make??
> > >
> > >What are general experiences?
> > >
> > >MG
> > >UK
> > >**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!
> >
> > Canon seems to have a terrible reputation for needing repairs. When
> > my daughter's expensive Canon quit working, the repair center said
> > "Yeah, that is a common problem".
> >
> > Pj

PJx typed:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:19:09 GMT, myhat100550.3170@compuserve.com (MG)
> wrote:
>
>> My local camera shop say they see more Fuji cameras in for repair or
>> returnd broken than any other make??
>>
>> What are general experiences?
>>
>> MG
>> UK
>> **REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!
>
> Canon seems to have a terrible reputation for needing repairs. When
> my daughter's expensive Canon quit working, the repair center said
> "Yeah, that is a common problem".
>
> Pj

FIRST: Don't scare me with such statements! I just bought a Canon (it's S1
IS and it's working for over a week now :))...

SECOND: I agree with Gymmy Bob...if it's a common problem, i'll be kinda
more relaxed, since i'll know, what a guy is doing and that he'll repair it.
If he'd say: "That's strange...it's the first this kinda problem i've seen"
,THEN, i'd be worried, since no-one knows, what he'll do with my camera,
since he don't HAVE A CLUE what to do or what to repair or replace. There's
a chance of me getting my camera back in even worst condition than it was
before i took it to him...

At the last: Each and every company has it's own "common problems". So, this
by default is not a big deal. Well, it is, sure, but there's not much we can
do about it. It's just the matter of luck - maybe you'll get a good one and
you'll praise it, while maybe you'll have it at service 6 months in a year
and say: in whole my life, never again this brand!

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:19:09 GMT, myhat100550.3170@compuserve.com (MG)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

>My local camera shop say they see more Fuji cameras in for repair or
>returnd broken than any other make??
>
>What are general experiences?

To ANSWER YOUR QUESTION... <G>

Not mine, but general....

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/zoom.asp

Says the reliability was about the same as all the others (excepet
Kodak). Service rated worst among the cameras.

I suggest you do what I did to get the above. Scan the web for
surveys. Off the top o9f my head, I used:

"digital camera" reliability ratings

as a serach, and came up with the above among others.

This is the advice I received when buying. Ignore individuals opinions
about their experiences. Even somebody who has several camera's will
have limited experience. Even a serviceman sees limited numbers (we
all hope! <G>) Stat's speak. Stat's can lie (does the above survey
take into account the number of Kodak's sold? Probably, if it simply
asked hundred's of readers to supply their experience), but
individuals' are usually mistaken.
I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:19:09 GMT, myhat100550.3170@compuserve.com (MG)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I guess to add to what I said. "Review the review's", Make sure you
check a lot of survueys, before you believe any one of them.

I honestly do think that it all pans out much of a muchness in the
end.

>My local camera shop say they see more Fuji cameras in for repair or
>returnd broken than any other make??
>
>What are general experiences?
>
>MG
>UK
>**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> FIRST: Don't scare me with such statements! I just bought a Canon (it's S1
> IS and it's working for over a week now :))...

I'm thinking about buying a Canon S1 IS. What's your experience been so far?

--
Steve

Steve typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> FIRST: Don't scare me with such statements! I just bought a Canon
>> (it's S1 IS and it's working for over a week now :))...
>
> I'm thinking about buying a Canon S1 IS. What's your experience been
> so far?

I'll start with bad things: it has no AF Assist lamp. But, it's missing in
Olympus 750 or 740, too, so here's not much we can do. Result is that it has
a bit of difficulty in low light focusing. But i managed this by using small
laser pointer, which suits just perfectly. With it you can shoot and focus
in total darkness. I thing Minolta Dimage has it, but i've read some reviews
and all i can say is stay well away from it. It has dissastrous (= totally
useless) night shooting. Just get laser or small LED torch and you're OK.
Other annoying thing is that picture freezes while focusing, so basically,
you have a difficulty in following the object in that time.

Enough of bad things...good ones:

Battery consumption is low - according to Canon's tests, you can shoot about
580 shost mixed with and without flash (i think every 8th was with flash,
some viewing included, too. (that's with 2300 mAh NiMH battery).

this Image stabilizer is just --- superb thing! I mean, did you ever shoot
with so big zoom? I didn't and if i'd buy olympus or any other one which i
had in mind before purchase), i wouldn't be able to shoot with so big zoom
from hand. This thing totally freezes picture. Even at combined optical /
digital zoom , which is totally 32x, you can shoot even in dimmed light
without any problem. You can see demo movie at this link:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/is.mov (this
site has whole review of it)

It clearly shows the difference. Then, zooming is very fast - it zooms from
wide to full telephoto in less than one second (but it does have slow speed,
too).

Movies - superb quality, although short. If you calculate that in 640x480 at
30 fps filesize is about 1,4M per second, you get 2 min 30 sec for 256 M
card. On 1G you can have about 9 minutes of moive in full quality. Note
however that for this you need fast CF card, not normal (=cheapest) one.

In general, i'm more than happy with it. A lot of manual controls if you
wish, sharp image, etc. As said ,if it only would have that bloddy AF assist
lamp...

My opinion is: just get it. You won't regret it.

> Steve typed:
>
> > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> >> FIRST: Don't scare me with such statements! I just bought a Canon
> >> (it's S1 IS and it's working for over a week now :))...
> >
> > I'm thinking about buying a Canon S1 IS. What's your experience been
> > so far?
>
> I'll start with bad things: it has no AF Assist lamp. But, it's missing in
> Olympus 750 or 740, too, so here's not much we can do. Result is that it
has
> a bit of difficulty in low light focusing. But i managed this by using
small
> laser pointer, which suits just perfectly. With it you can shoot and focus
> in total darkness. I thing Minolta Dimage has it, but i've read some
reviews
> and all i can say is stay well away from it. It has dissastrous (= totally
> useless) night shooting. Just get laser or small LED torch and you're OK.
> Other annoying thing is that picture freezes while focusing, so basically,
> you have a difficulty in following the object in that time.
>
> Enough of bad things...good ones:
>
> Battery consumption is low - according to Canon's tests, you can shoot
about
> 580 shost mixed with and without flash (i think every 8th was with flash,
> some viewing included, too. (that's with 2300 mAh NiMH battery).
>
> this Image stabilizer is just --- superb thing! I mean, did you ever shoot
> with so big zoom? I didn't and if i'd buy olympus or any other one which i
> had in mind before purchase), i wouldn't be able to shoot with so big zoom
> from hand. This thing totally freezes picture. Even at combined optical /
> digital zoom , which is totally 32x, you can shoot even in dimmed light
> without any problem. You can see demo movie at this link:
>
> http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/is.mov (this
> site has whole review of it)
>
> It clearly shows the difference. Then, zooming is very fast - it zooms
from
> wide to full telephoto in less than one second (but it does have slow
speed,
> too).
>
> Movies - superb quality, although short. If you calculate that in 640x480
at
> 30 fps filesize is about 1,4M per second, you get 2 min 30 sec for 256 M
> card. On 1G you can have about 9 minutes of moive in full quality. Note
> however that for this you need fast CF card, not normal (=cheapest) one.
>
> In general, i'm more than happy with it. A lot of manual controls if you
> wish, sharp image, etc. As said ,if it only would have that bloddy AF
assist
> lamp...
>
> My opinion is: just get it. You won't regret it.

I'm almost convinced that the Canon is what I need, but I quite like the
look of the Fuji FinePix S7000. More pixels, hotshoe, continuous shooting
modes. (I'm looking to do equestrian sports pictures.) Maybe the trade off
with the Canon is less pixels but a longer telephoto. But then the Fuji is
more expensive. I dunno. Decisions, decisions...
--
Steve

One would think that anti-shake could be done on the computer after the
fact.

Some are done in the camera digitally...are they not? This one looks like it
is ,as the vertical edges of blurred objects are still blurred somewhat as
if somebody used a blur filter on the frames and displayed the same image
many times.

"Steve" <planetnull@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> at
> > 30 fps filesize is about 1,4M per second, you get 2 min 30 sec for 256 M
> > card. On 1G you can have about 9 minutes of moive in full quality. Note
> > however that for this you need fast CF card, not normal (=cheapest) one.
> >
> > In general, i'm more than happy with it. A lot of manual controls if you
> > wish, sharp image, etc. As said ,if it only would have that bloddy AF
> assist
> > lamp...
> >
> > My opinion is: just get it. You won't regret it.
> >

> I'm almost convinced that the Canon is what I need, but I quite like the
> look of the Fuji FinePix S7000. More pixels, hotshoe, continuous shooting
> modes. (I'm looking to do equestrian sports pictures.) Maybe the trade off
> with the Canon is less pixels but a longer telephoto. But then the Fuji is
> more expensive. I dunno. Decisions, decisions...

I haven't noticed that at all, and I see what comes by in the shop. I
see lots of Kodaks (Chinons, really), but not an abnormal number of
Fujis. Fuji breaks just like everything else. Anecdotal information
should be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone who ever had a lemon
thinks that company is damned to hell. The truth is, Fuji also makes
your minilabs and make some of the best lenses in the world. I'm sure
they also have a few lemons, however.

My 2c,
Jaimie @ www.camerarepair.com

Old Nick <nsnfwhite@dodo.net.au> wrote in message news:<c0ij70l66qr819vu3jgfrkvjaktneiah2b@4ax.com>...
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:19:09 GMT, myhat100550.3170@compuserve.com (MG)
> vaguely proposed a theory
> ......and in reply I say!:
> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>
> I guess to add to what I said. "Review the review's", Make sure you
> check a lot of survueys, before you believe any one of them.
>
> I honestly do think that it all pans out much of a muchness in the
> end.
>
> >My local camera shop say they see more Fuji cameras in for repair or
> >returnd broken than any other make??
> >
> >What are general experiences?
> >
> >MG
> >UK
> >**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!

> I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
> us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
> ........no I'm not.

eddie

"Jaimie" <jsirovic@technilab.com> wrote in message
> I haven't noticed that at all, and I see what comes by in the shop. I
> see lots of Kodaks (Chinons, really), but not an abnormal number of
> Fujis. Fuji breaks just like everything else. Anecdotal information
> should be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone who ever had a lemon
> thinks that company is damned to hell. The truth is, Fuji also makes
> your minilabs and make some of the best lenses in the world. I'm sure
> they also have a few lemons, however.

Yes indeed, they also make cases and lenses for Hasselblad!

Eddie

Gymmy Bob typed:

> One would think that anti-shake could be done on the computer after
> the fact.

I strongly doubt that. When a picture is taken then this is it. It's done
digitally, sure. But remember, that a camera has 3.3 M pixels, while only
3.2 are used. And you can correct a picture before it's taken into the chip.
Once you have a blurred bitmap, you're finished. Maybe you can correct a
bit, but result won't be nearly as good as with IS.

> [...]
>>>
>>> Movies - superb quality, although short. If you calculate that in
>>> 640x480 at 30 fps filesize is about 1,4M per second, you get 2 min
>>> 30 sec for 256 M card. On 1G you can have about 9 minutes of moive
>>> in full quality. Note however that for this you need fast CF card,
>>> not normal (=cheapest) one.
>>>
>>> In general, i'm more than happy with it. A lot of manual controls
>>> if you wish, sharp image, etc. As said ,if it only would have that
>>> bloddy AF assist lamp...
>>>
>>> My opinion is: just get it. You won't regret it.
>>>

>> I'm almost convinced that the Canon is what I need, but I quite like
>> the look of the Fuji FinePix S7000. More pixels, hotshoe, continuous
>> shooting modes. (I'm looking to do equestrian sports pictures.)
>> Maybe the trade off with the Canon is less pixels but a longer
>> telephoto. But then the Fuji is more expensive. I dunno. Decisions,

Steve typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Steve typed:
>>
>>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I'm thinking about buying a Canon S1 IS. What's your experience been
>>> so far?
>>
>> I'll start with bad things: it has no AF Assist lamp. But, it's
>> missing in Olympus 750 or 740, too, so here's not much we can do.
>> Result is that it has a bit of difficulty in low light focusing. But
>> i managed this by using small laser pointer, which suits just
>> perfectly. With it you can shoot and focus in total darkness. I
>> thing Minolta Dimage has it, but i've read some reviews and all i
>> can say is stay well away from it. It has dissastrous (= totally
>> useless) night shooting. Just get laser or small LED torch and
>> you're OK. Other annoying thing is that picture freezes while
>> focusing, so basically, you have a difficulty in following the
>> object in that time.
>>
>> Enough of bad things...good ones:
>>
>> Battery consumption is low - according to Canon's tests, you can
>> shoot about 580 shost mixed with and without flash (i think every
>> 8th was with flash, some viewing included, too. (that's with 2300
>> mAh NiMH battery).
>>
>> this Image stabilizer is just --- superb thing! I mean, did you ever
>> shoot with so big zoom? I didn't and if i'd buy olympus or any other
>> one which i had in mind before purchase), i wouldn't be able to
>> shoot with so big zoom from hand. This thing totally freezes
>> picture. Even at combined optical / digital zoom , which is totally
>> 32x, you can shoot even in dimmed light without any problem. You can
>> see demo movie at this link:
>>
>> http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/is.mov
>> (this site has whole review of it)
>>
>> It clearly shows the difference. Then, zooming is very fast - it
>> zooms from wide to full telephoto in less than one second (but it
>> does have slow speed, too).
>>
>> Movies - superb quality, although short. If you calculate that in
>> 640x480 at 30 fps filesize is about 1,4M per second, you get 2 min
>> 30 sec for 256 M card. On 1G you can have about 9 minutes of moive
>> in full quality. Note however that for this you need fast CF card,
>> not normal (=cheapest) one.
>>
>> In general, i'm more than happy with it. A lot of manual controls if
>> you wish, sharp image, etc. As said ,if it only would have that
>> bloddy AF assist lamp...
>>
>> My opinion is: just get it. You won't regret it.
>>

> I'm almost convinced that the Canon is what I need, but I quite like
> the look of the Fuji FinePix S7000. More pixels, hotshoe, continuous
> shooting modes. (I'm looking to do equestrian sports pictures.) Maybe
> the trade off with the Canon is less pixels but a longer telephoto.
> But then the Fuji is more expensive. I dunno. Decisions, decisions...

Be carrefull with more pixels. I've read (just an expample) for Olympus 740
and 750 - one has 3M and other 4M pixels. Since both chips have the same
size, and 4M one has more pixels ,then they are more squeezed on the same
surface size. And this results in more noise. All these cameras with big
zoom have very small chip because if it would be big, then lens would have
to be much larger. So, they sacrifice bigger noise to get smaller sizes.
dcresource's review warns you about too much noise on Fuji.

I'd reccomend that you try to look on reviews and get some sample pictures
and see. On the other hand, if you don't intend to make large posters, don't
bother with more pixels.

Canon do have continous shooting. not so fast (I think it's about one pic
every 0.7 sec.), but it does have long-term shooting (adjustable intervals),
then "auto bracketing", which takes 3 shots with different expusure or
focus. It doesn't have hot shoe, though... But canon have adjustable LCD
screen and from i see from pics. Fuji is way bigger. And battery life is
about 340 shots, while Canon has 550-570 shots.

Hard to tell...really...but if i'd buy again, i'd go for Canon. That IS is
really something...

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:19:26 +0200, "SleeperMan"
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

>Gymmy Bob typed:
>
>> One would think that anti-shake could be done on the computer after
>> the fact.
>
>I strongly doubt that. When a picture is taken then this is it. It's done
>digitally, sure. But remember, that a camera has 3.3 M pixels, while only
>3.2 are used.

I would be very interested to see how many pixels _are_ used when
antishake is operational. I believe AS can stop quite severe movement.
That would take a lot of pixels, if it works at all as I imagine (not
understand, imagine) it to work.

But then I did some searching, and found:

http://konicaminolta.jp/english/products/consumer/digital_camera/dimage/dimage-a2/02.html

"What makes it so effective is its unique CCD-shift mechanism. The CCD
sensor rests on a movable mount, which shifts according to the amount
of camera shake detected by the camera's motion detectors. Shifting
occurs along the x, y-axes to cancel out the effects of camera shake.
Unlike optical or electronic-based stabilization systems, Anti-Shake
does not degrade image quality, so you can make the most of 8.0
megapixel resolution."

So I was right, in that most would use some sort of variation on
autofocus to stop shake, electronically. But this one actually dodges
the sensor about!
>And you can correct a picture before it's taken into the chip.
>Once you have a blurred bitmap, you're finished. Maybe you can correct a
>bit, but result won't be nearly as good as with IS.
>

>> Some are done in the camera digitally...are they not? This one looks
>> like it is ,as the vertical edges of blurred objects are still
>> blurred somewhat as if somebody used a blur filter on the frames
>> and displayed the same image many times.
>>

>> "Steve" <planetnull@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

>>> I'm almost convinced that the Canon is what I need, but I quite like
>>> the look of the Fuji FinePix S7000. More pixels, hotshoe, continuous
>>> shooting modes. (I'm looking to do equestrian sports pictures.)
>>> Maybe the trade off with the Canon is less pixels but a longer
>>> telephoto. But then the Fuji is more expensive. I dunno. Decisions,
>>> decisions... --
>>> Steve

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.

I know it works wonderfully in binoculars but I wonder what all those little
wires being shook about all the time will say about their short life?

Wireless Bluetooth inside the camera?....LOL

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:19:26 +0200, "SleeperMan"
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
> ......and in reply I say!:
> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>
> >Gymmy Bob typed:
> >
> >> One would think that anti-shake could be done on the computer after
> >> the fact.
> >
> >I strongly doubt that. When a picture is taken then this is it. It's done
> >digitally, sure. But remember, that a camera has 3.3 M pixels, while only
> >3.2 are used.
>
> I would be very interested to see how many pixels _are_ used when
> antishake is operational. I believe AS can stop quite severe movement.
> That would take a lot of pixels, if it works at all as I imagine (not
> understand, imagine) it to work.
>
> But then I did some searching, and found:

http://konicaminolta.jp/english/products/consumer/digital_camera/dimage/dimage-a2/02.html

> "What makes it so effective is its unique CCD-shift mechanism. The CCD
> sensor rests on a movable mount, which shifts according to the amount
> of camera shake detected by the camera's motion detectors. Shifting
> occurs along the x, y-axes to cancel out the effects of camera shake.
> Unlike optical or electronic-based stabilization systems, Anti-Shake
> does not degrade image quality, so you can make the most of 8.0
> megapixel resolution."
>
> So I was right, in that most would use some sort of variation on
> autofocus to stop shake, electronically. But this one actually dodges
> the sensor about!
> >And you can correct a picture before it's taken into the chip.
> >Once you have a blurred bitmap, you're finished. Maybe you can correct a
> >bit, but result won't be nearly as good as with IS.
> >

> >> Some are done in the camera digitally...are they not? This one looks
> >> like it is ,as the vertical edges of blurred objects are still
> >> blurred somewhat as if somebody used a blur filter on the frames
> >> and displayed the same image many times.
> >>

> >> "Steve" <planetnull@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
> us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
> ........no I'm not.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:35:59 -0400, "Gymmy Bob" <NoThanx@spammie.com>
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

hehe! I wondered about that as well. All that movement in such a
delicate situation.

But hey! Digital cameras? Lifespan. Come onnn! <G>

> Steve typed:
>

> Be carrefull with more pixels. I've read (just an expample) for Olympus
740
> and 750 - one has 3M and other 4M pixels. Since both chips have the same
> size, and 4M one has more pixels ,then they are more squeezed on the same
> surface size. And this results in more noise. All these cameras with big
> zoom have very small chip because if it would be big, then lens would have
> to be much larger. So, they sacrifice bigger noise to get smaller sizes.
> dcresource's review warns you about too much noise on Fuji.
>
> I'd reccomend that you try to look on reviews and get some sample pictures
> and see. On the other hand, if you don't intend to make large posters,
don't
> bother with more pixels.
>
> Canon do have continous shooting. not so fast (I think it's about one pic
> every 0.7 sec.), but it does have long-term shooting (adjustable
intervals),
> then "auto bracketing", which takes 3 shots with different expusure or
> focus. It doesn't have hot shoe, though... But canon have adjustable LCD
> screen and from i see from pics. Fuji is way bigger. And battery life is
> about 340 shots, while Canon has 550-570 shots.
>
> Hard to tell...really...but if i'd buy again, i'd go for Canon. That IS is
> really something...

Ehhh? thought that if you had MORE pixels (eg 4MP)in the same physical
region as LESS pixels (eg, 3MP), then the resolution would be higher.

Eddie

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:32:26 -0700, "Eddie" <Woofdog@kennel.com.au>
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Unless I misunderstand your statement, resolution _is_ higher. Noise
is higher too. Resolution and noise are not the same thing.

You have to drive the smaller pixels harder to get them to be the same
"ISO" number as larger ones. This produces "hot" pixels and failures
etc. Noise. It's the same effect as if you increase the ISO number on
your camera.

No such thing as a free lunch.....:-<

Try

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

and for this particular topic
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/pixel-count.shtml

This is not condescension. I go there regularly, to learn, confirm or
check. It's _all_ there!

> On 15 Apr 2004 22:14:20 -0700, jsirovic@technilab.com (Jaimie) vaguely
>
> BTW. Pity about Chinon. I have a Chinon 35mm camera. It's a reall
> affordable "photographer's camera" with DOF preview, and a heap of
> other good stuff, for an affordable price.
>
> >I haven't noticed that at all, and I see what comes by in the shop. I
> >see lots of Kodaks (Chinons, really), but not an abnormal number of
> >Fujis. Fuji breaks just like everything else. Anecdotal information
> >should be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone who ever had a lemon
> >thinks that company is damned to hell. The truth is, Fuji also makes
> >your minilabs and make some of the best lenses in the world. I'm sure
> >they also have a few lemons, however.

Hey Nick, I had on old 35mm Chinon bought in the early '70's, took Great
pics. Then a week ago, I was in the Maritime Museum in Fremantle, Western
Australia, where they have the America's Cup winning yacht, Australia II,
and amongst it's specialised equipment, was a Chinon almost identical to
mine!

Also, Jon Saunders, of triple-non-stop around the world sailing, was a 16mm
Arriflex movie camera....oh how drooled over those!
Eddie

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:36:26 -0700, "Eddie" <Woofdog@kennel.com.au>
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Maybe it was a "Perth" thing to buy Chinon cameras....<G>

>Hey Nick, I had on old 35mm Chinon bought in the early '70's, took Great
>pics. Then a week ago, I was in the Maritime Museum in Fremantle, Western
>Australia, where they have the America's Cup winning yacht, Australia II,
>and amongst it's specialised equipment, was a Chinon almost identical to
>mine!
>
>Also, Jon Saunders, of triple-non-stop around the world sailing, was a 16mm
>Arriflex movie camera....oh how drooled over those!
>Eddie

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.

Yep, sou're right. More squeezing, less quality... But who really needs 4M
or more? i don't intend to print even A4, let along bigger...

Old Nick typed:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:32:26 -0700, "Eddie" <Woofdog@kennel.com.au>
> vaguely proposed a theory
> ......and in reply I say!:
> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>
> Unless I misunderstand your statement, resolution _is_ higher. Noise
> is higher too. Resolution and noise are not the same thing.
>
> You have to drive the smaller pixels harder to get them to be the same
> "ISO" number as larger ones. This produces "hot" pixels and failures
> etc. Noise. It's the same effect as if you increase the ISO number on
> your camera.
>
> No such thing as a free lunch.....:-<
>
> Try
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/
>
> and for this particular topic
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/pixel-count.shtml
>
> This is not condescension. I go there regularly, to learn, confirm or
> check. It's _all_ there!
>
>> Ehhh? thought that if you had MORE pixels (eg 4MP)in the same
>> physical region as LESS pixels (eg, 3MP), then the resolution would
>> be higher.
>>
>> Eddie

> I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
> us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
> ........no I'm not.

I forgot to tell: IS function does prevent from quick movements, but not
from severe ones. You must still hold your camera as still as you can. It's
just without IS you just CAN'T hold it totally still. It's best if you see
sample movie link i gave (below again):
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/is.mov

as you see, slow movements are ignored and only quick ones are compensated.
I didn't see any image degradation (yet).

Old Nick typed:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:19:26 +0200, "SleeperMan"
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
> ......and in reply I say!:
> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>
>> Gymmy Bob typed:
>>
>>> One would think that anti-shake could be done on the computer after
>>> the fact.
>>
>> I strongly doubt that. When a picture is taken then this is it. It's
>> done digitally, sure. But remember, that a camera has 3.3 M pixels,
>> while only
>> 3.2 are used.
>
> I would be very interested to see how many pixels _are_ used when
> antishake is operational. I believe AS can stop quite severe movement.
> That would take a lot of pixels, if it works at all as I imagine (not
> understand, imagine) it to work.
>
> But then I did some searching, and found:

http://konicaminolta.jp/english/products/consumer/digital_camera/dimage/dima
ge-a2/02.html

> "What makes it so effective is its unique CCD-shift mechanism. The CCD
> sensor rests on a movable mount, which shifts according to the amount
> of camera shake detected by the camera's motion detectors. Shifting
> occurs along the x, y-axes to cancel out the effects of camera shake.
> Unlike optical or electronic-based stabilization systems, Anti-Shake
> does not degrade image quality, so you can make the most of 8.0
> megapixel resolution."
>
> So I was right, in that most would use some sort of variation on
> autofocus to stop shake, electronically. But this one actually dodges
> the sensor about!
>> And you can correct a picture before it's taken into the chip.
>> Once you have a blurred bitmap, you're finished. Maybe you can
>> correct a bit, but result won't be nearly as good as with IS.
>>

>>> Some are done in the camera digitally...are they not? This one looks
>>> like it is ,as the vertical edges of blurred objects are still
>>> blurred somewhat as if somebody used a blur filter on the frames
>>> and displayed the same image many times.
>>>

>>> "Steve" <planetnull@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
> us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
> ........no I'm not.

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:34:02 +0200, "SleeperMan"
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Ok. Sorry. Now what about the second part of my question....<G>