kim

Hi
Think I have a virus. Using XP Pro.
Windows in IE close down when virus sites are connected also outlook. I ran
stinger from USB device which detected W32 Netsky but could not repair.
Explorer windows close down randomly.
I cannot access the registry the window flashes and closes down.
Same thing happens if I try Spybot, adaware or if I try to install AVG.
This thing closes everything down that may remove it.
There is also no system restore tab in my computers properties so I can't
turn it off.
Anyone suggest something to try I am desperate!
Thanks

Malke

kim wrote:

> Hi
> Think I have a virus. Using XP Pro.
> Windows in IE close down when virus sites are connected also outlook.
> I ran
> stinger from USB device which detected W32 Netsky but could not
> repair. Explorer windows close down randomly.
> I cannot access the registry the window flashes and closes down.
> Same thing happens if I try Spybot, adaware or if I try to install
> AVG. This thing closes everything down that may remove it.
> There is also no system restore tab in my computers properties so I
> can't turn it off.
> Anyone suggest something to try I am desperate!
> Thanks

You apparently do not have a full-featured antivirus installed on your
hard drive. You will not be able to install an antivirus until your
computer is clean. Use TrendMicro's Sysclean, which you need to get
from a different, known-clean computer with an Internet connection and
a cd burner.

TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which has the
advantage of not needing to be installed. It requires two parts - the
scanning engine and the virus pattern files. Delete all Temporary and
Temporary Internet Files before running the program.

1. Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive named something
useful like "Sysclean".
2. Go here and download the two parts of the program to that folder:

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp - Sysclean
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp - virus pattern files

The pattern files will be zipped - extract them with your unzipper (like
WinZip) or if you have XP, you can just open the folder. You need to
put the extracted files in the Sysclean folder you made. For a more
automated way to get Sysclean, use Dave Lipman's Sysclean_FE from
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm .

3. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Get into Safe Mode by repeatedly
tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the proper
menu.
4. Go to the Sysclean folder you made and double-click on sysclean.com.
Start the scan. After the scan is finished, look at the log. You may
need to make a note of where any viruses were found if they were not
able to be removed so you can manually delete them.

Now get and install a full-featured av, update its definitions, and do a
thorough scan in Safe Mode. After you have done that, continue your
cleaning by scanning for non-viral malware with free programs like
Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. Install those programs, update
them, and then scan with them in Safe Mode.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

kim

Thank you for your help I will try that.
Kim