Looking to purchase 9800 Pro from US

Given the state of the US dollar, I was thinking of buying a 9800 card from
the States and importing it to the UK.

I can get a card locally for £135 ($256) so it would have to be considerably
less than this for me to take the risk (and pay the postage!).

So, what's a 9800 Pro selliing for in the States right now?

Cheers.

Bobby
30 answers Last reply
More about looking purchase 9800

    Why not have a look at some online shops? Would take less time than posting
    here.

    "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    > Given the state of the US dollar, I was thinking of buying a 9800 card
    > from the States and importing it to the UK.
    >
    > I can get a card locally for £135 ($256) so it would have to be
    > considerably less than this for me to take the risk (and pay the
    > postage!).
    >
    > So, what's a 9800 Pro selliing for in the States right now?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Bobby

    "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    > Given the state of the US dollar, I was thinking of buying a 9800 card
    > from the States and importing it to the UK.
    >
    > I can get a card locally for £135 ($256) so it would have to be
    > considerably less than this for me to take the risk (and pay the
    > postage!).
    >
    > So, what's a 9800 Pro selliing for in the States right now?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Bobby

    This information is readily available on the net, do yourself a favour and
    find it yourself instead of asking others to do your work.

    Have you considered Warranty, which will be invalid as most manufacturers
    will only honour warranty for products officially distributed in the country
    the claim is being made.

    In article <312v2oF35hkbvU1@uni-berlin.de>, Bobby says...
    > Given the state of the US dollar, I was thinking of buying a 9800 card from
    > the States and importing it to the UK.
    >
    > I can get a card locally for £135 ($256) so it would have to be considerably
    > less than this for me to take the risk (and pay the postage!).

    I can get them locally for £103 in VAT.

    --
    Conor

    Greedo shot first. Greedo ALWAYS shot first. You did not see Solo shoot
    first.
    It never happened. Never, ever. Not in any version. Remember: Greedo
    shot first.

    > I can get them locally for £103 in VAT.

    Where is locally?I assume UK since you're quoting GBP? And do you know
    somewhere cheap to buy a decent 9800 Pro? I have checked DABS, eBuyer, Scan,
    Komplett and they are all around the £150 mark which isn't too bad butthey
    are almost always out of stock! Ebuyer have a few at the moment but after
    going through their RMA procedure I'd rather not get anything from them
    again unless I have to!

    If you can't post something constructive - don't post at all.

    "NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message

    > "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    >> Given the state of the US dollar, I was thinking of buying a 9800 card
    >> from the States and importing it to the UK.
    >>
    >> I can get a card locally for £135 ($256) so it would have to be
    >> considerably less than this for me to take the risk (and pay the
    >> postage!).
    >>
    >> So, what's a 9800 Pro selliing for in the States right now?
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >>

    > This information is readily available on the net, do yourself a favour and
    > find it yourself instead of asking others to do your work.
    >
    > Have you considered Warranty, which will be invalid as most manufacturers
    > will only honour warranty for products officially distributed in the
    > country the claim is being made.

    Cheapest I've seen is £135:

    http://www.e-woc.co.uk/ati_graphic_cards.htm

    Can you post a link to your claimed £103 card?

    Bobby wrote:
    > Given the state of the US dollar, I was thinking of buying a 9800
    > card from the States and importing it to the UK.
    >
    > I can get a card locally for £135 ($256) so it would have to be
    > considerably less than this for me to take the risk (and pay the
    > postage!).
    > So, what's a 9800 Pro selliing for in the States right now?

    Hi Bobby,

    I just did a quick check on a site I know they use over there (NewEgg), and
    looking at the 128MB 256-bit version, it comes out at between £100 and £125,
    depending on the deal. Given that you'd need to pay shipping, VAT, import
    duty and fees on top of this, it's really not such a fantastic deal.

    > If you can't post something constructive - don't post at all.
    >
    > "NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    >>> Given the state of the US dollar, I was thinking of buying a 9800 card
    >>> from the States and importing it to the UK.
    >>>
    >>> I can get a card locally for £135 ($256) so it would have to be
    >>> considerably less than this for me to take the risk (and pay the
    >>> postage!).
    >>>
    >>> So, what's a 9800 Pro selliing for in the States right now?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>
    >>> Bobby
    >>>

    >> This information is readily available on the net, do yourself a favour
    >> and find it yourself instead of asking others to do your work.
    >>
    >> Have you considered Warranty, which will be invalid as most manufacturers
    >> will only honour warranty for products officially distributed in the
    >> country the claim is being made.

    Why should people take the time to look up information which you can't be
    bothered to do yourself.

    Laziness aside, you clearly haven't thought of any of the implications of
    buying from abroad.

    Bobby <bobby@europe.com> spewed forth the following...

    > Given the state of the US dollar, I was thinking of buying a 9800
    > card from the States and importing it to the UK.
    >
    > I can get a card locally for £135 ($256) so it would have to be
    > considerably less than this for me to take the risk (and pay the
    > postage!).

    It seems that £135 is one hell of a good price for the 9800 Pro, so if
    you`re set upon spending that much, you might as well stick an extra 30 quid
    towards it and get a Nvidia 6600GT. :o)

    If you live near Bolton (well, Horwich to be precise) you will even save
    money on postage.

    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=150992

    Review of 6600GT, including a comparison to the 6800 range and the 9800 Pro
    here.

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/geforce-6600gt-agp-21.html

    HTH

    Loz H

    > Why should people take the time to look up information which you can't be
    > bothered to do yourself.

    You can find anything using search engines so why does anyone post any
    question on newsgroups? Maybe to save time? Or get answers from people with
    personal experience?

    > Laziness aside, you clearly haven't thought of any of the implications of
    > buying from abroad.

    Rudeness aside, you clearly don't appreciate the Usenet tradition of helping
    people.

    Now go away and let more helpful people reply.

    >> Why should people take the time to look up information which you can't be
    >> bothered to do yourself.
    >
    > You can find anything using search engines so why does anyone post any
    > question on newsgroups? Maybe to save time? Or get answers from people
    > with personal experience?
    >
    >> Laziness aside, you clearly haven't thought of any of the implications of
    >> buying from abroad.
    >
    > Rudeness aside, you clearly don't appreciate the Usenet tradition of
    > helping people.
    >
    > Now go away and let more helpful people reply.

    People are more likely to offer help to those willing to help themselves.

    Asking to be spoon-fed is not the way to go.

    > "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    >>> Why should people take the time to look up information which you can't
    >>> be bothered to do yourself.
    >>
    >> You can find anything using search engines so why does anyone post any
    >> question on newsgroups? Maybe to save time? Or get answers from people
    >> with personal experience?
    >>
    >>> Laziness aside, you clearly haven't thought of any of the implications
    >>> of buying from abroad.
    >>
    >> Rudeness aside, you clearly don't appreciate the Usenet tradition of
    >> helping people.
    >>
    >> Now go away and let more helpful people reply.
    >>

    > People are more likely to offer help to those willing to help themselves.
    >
    > Asking to be spoon-fed is not the way to go.
    It's a matter of degree what's considered being "Spoon Fed". The question
    asked by Bobby is so straight forward that it won't take much effort at all
    from people in the US with suitable experience to answer it. Given that he's
    made the effort to pose the question and reply to criticism associated with
    asking the question, "laziness" hasn't occurred. My thoughts are that anyone
    willing to go to the trouble of importing something like that (with all the
    associated import duty/VAT calculations to make) is more likely far from
    lazy and probably quite industrious! Anyone who's ever tried booking
    accomodation for holidays online, will find that often the best value
    accomodation isn't as widely advertised on the web - you find out about it
    when you get there from locals with the experience. The same thing applies
    with PC parts.

    I've always been disappointed with the price ATI cards sell for in the UK
    compared to US products (and Australasia/South Pacific Area is even worse).
    Someone somewhere is making a killing (and given that UK prices are often
    much more than 17.5% dearer than US versions, its not just the VAT
    collector). Competition from "outside" to those "middlemen" may be perceived
    by them as a threat. Go for it Bobby and good luck.

    Paul

    Bobby:

    http://arstechnica.dealtime.com/xPP-Graphics_Cards--ati_radeon_9800_pro

    --
    Mac Cool
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> You can find anything using search engines so why does anyone post any
    >>> question on newsgroups? Maybe to save time? Or get answers from people
    >>> with personal experience?

    >>> Rudeness aside, you clearly don't appreciate the Usenet tradition of
    >>> helping people.
    >>>
    >>> Now go away and let more helpful people reply.
    >>>

    >> People are more likely to offer help to those willing to help themselves.
    >>
    >> Asking to be spoon-fed is not the way to go.
    > It's a matter of degree what's considered being "Spoon Fed". The question
    > asked by Bobby is so straight forward that it won't take much effort at
    > all from people in the US with suitable experience to answer it. Given
    > that he's made the effort to pose the question and reply to criticism
    > associated with asking the question, "laziness" hasn't occurred. My
    > thoughts are that anyone willing to go to the trouble of importing
    > something like that (with all the associated import duty/VAT calculations
    > to make) is more likely far from lazy and probably quite industrious!
    > Anyone who's ever tried booking accomodation for holidays online, will
    > find that often the best value accomodation isn't as widely advertised on
    > the web - you find out about it when you get there from locals with the
    > experience. The same thing applies with PC parts.
    >
    > I've always been disappointed with the price ATI cards sell for in the UK
    > compared to US products (and Australasia/South Pacific Area is even
    > worse). Someone somewhere is making a killing (and given that UK prices
    > are often much more than 17.5% dearer than US versions, its not just the
    > VAT collector). Competition from "outside" to those "middlemen" may be
    > perceived by them as a threat. Go for it Bobby and good luck.
    >
    > Paul

    Bullshit Paul, how hard would it have been to type in www.newegg.com and get
    a price?
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message

    >>> People are more likely to offer help to those willing to help
    >>> themselves.
    >>>
    >>> Asking to be spoon-fed is not the way to go.
    >> It's a matter of degree what's considered being "Spoon Fed". The question
    >> asked by Bobby is so straight forward that it won't take much effort at
    >> all from people in the US with suitable experience to answer it. Given
    >> that he's made the effort to pose the question and reply to criticism
    >> associated with asking the question, "laziness" hasn't occurred. My
    >> thoughts are that anyone willing to go to the trouble of importing
    >> something like that (with all the associated import duty/VAT calculations
    >> to make) is more likely far from lazy and probably quite industrious!
    >> Anyone who's ever tried booking accomodation for holidays online, will
    >> find that often the best value accomodation isn't as widely advertised on
    >> the web - you find out about it when you get there from locals with the
    >> experience. The same thing applies with PC parts.
    >>
    >> I've always been disappointed with the price ATI cards sell for in the UK
    >> compared to US products (and Australasia/South Pacific Area is even
    >> worse). Someone somewhere is making a killing (and given that UK prices
    >> are often much more than 17.5% dearer than US versions, its not just the
    >> VAT collector). Competition from "outside" to those "middlemen" may be
    >> perceived by them as a threat. Go for it Bobby and good luck.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >

    > Bullshit Paul, how hard would it have been to type in www.newegg.com and
    > get a price?

    Couldn't agree more. the effort used by the OP in all follow-up messages
    could have been used more efficiently in searching for the information
    themselves, no offence to them personally, but there comes a time when you
    need to do things for yourself.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> "NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message

    >>> It's a matter of degree what's considered being "Spoon Fed". The
    >>> question asked by Bobby is so straight forward that it won't take much
    >>> effort at all from people in the US with suitable experience to answer
    >>> it. Given that he's made the effort to pose the question and reply to
    >>> criticism associated with asking the question, "laziness" hasn't
    >>> occurred. My thoughts are that anyone willing to go to the trouble of
    >>> importing something like that (with all the associated import duty/VAT
    >>> calculations to make) is more likely far from lazy and probably quite
    >>> industrious! Anyone who's ever tried booking accomodation for holidays
    >>> online, will find that often the best value accomodation isn't as widely
    >>> advertised on the web - you find out about it when you get there from
    >>> locals with the experience. The same thing applies with PC parts.
    >>>
    >>> I've always been disappointed with the price ATI cards sell for in the
    >>> UK compared to US products (and Australasia/South Pacific Area is even
    >>> worse). Someone somewhere is making a killing (and given that UK prices
    >>> are often much more than 17.5% dearer than US versions, its not just the
    >>> VAT collector). Competition from "outside" to those "middlemen" may be
    >>> perceived by them as a threat. Go for it Bobby and good luck.
    >>>
    >>> Paul
    >>

    >> Bullshit Paul, how hard would it have been to type in www.newegg.com and
    >> get a price?
    >>

    > Couldn't agree more. the effort used by the OP in all follow-up messages
    > could have been used more efficiently in searching for the information
    > themselves, no offence to them personally, but there comes a time when you
    > need to do things for yourself.

    Also getting all your info from a public newsgroup is not that smart, surely
    better to have at least some info and then ask some pertinent questions.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > "NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> Bullshit Paul, how hard would it have been to type in www.newegg.com and
    >>> get a price?
    >>>

    >> Couldn't agree more. the effort used by the OP in all follow-up messages
    >> could have been used more efficiently in searching for the information
    >> themselves, no offence to them personally, but there comes a time when
    >> you need to do things for yourself.
    >
    > Also getting all your info from a public newsgroup is not that smart,
    > surely better to have at least some info and then ask some pertinent
    > questions.

    I completely agree. I've followed this thread (just like me to follow
    something like this and not the news!) and think Bobby should go on ahead
    and find a price via online merchants.

    Otherwise, Bobby, want my BBA 9800 pro for $300? =)
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > type in www.newegg.com

    Hey thanks. Great site. Cheers.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Bobby wrote:
    >> type in www.newegg.com
    >
    > Hey thanks. Great site. Cheers.

    It's the same one as I mentioned yesterday. You didn't thank me! ;o(
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I was being ironic.

    Great link Aqua. :-)

    Bobby

    "-=< a q u a b u b b l e >=-" <littleminx@-spamtrap-aquabubble.org> wrote in
    message news:Vhord.3927319$yk.598224@news.easynews.com...
    > Bobby wrote:
    >>> type in www.newegg.com
    >>
    >> Hey thanks. Great site. Cheers.
    >
    > It's the same one as I mentioned yesterday. You didn't thank me! ;o(

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Although you can get a price there, its of little use unless you want a
    friend in the US to make the purchase - they wont ship internationally.

    Paul
    "-=< a q u a b u b b l e >=-" <littleminx@-spamtrap-aquabubble.org> wrote in
    message news:Vhord.3927319$yk.598224@news.easynews.com...
    > Bobby wrote:
    >>> type in www.newegg.com
    >>
    >> Hey thanks. Great site. Cheers.
    >
    > It's the same one as I mentioned yesterday. You didn't thank me! ;o(

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    <snip>
    >> It's a matter of degree what's considered being "Spoon Fed". The question
    >> asked by Bobby is so straight forward that it won't take much effort at
    >> all from people in the US with suitable experience to answer it. Given
    >> that he's made the effort to pose the question and reply to criticism
    >> associated with asking the question, "laziness" hasn't occurred. My
    >> thoughts are that anyone willing to go to the trouble of importing
    >> something like that (with all the associated import duty/VAT calculations
    >> to make) is more likely far from lazy and probably quite industrious!
    >> Anyone who's ever tried booking accomodation for holidays online, will
    >> find that often the best value accomodation isn't as widely advertised on
    >> the web - you find out about it when you get there from locals with the
    >> experience. The same thing applies with PC parts.
    >>
    >> I've always been disappointed with the price ATI cards sell for in the UK
    >> compared to US products (and Australasia/South Pacific Area is even
    >> worse). Someone somewhere is making a killing (and given that UK prices
    >> are often much more than 17.5% dearer than US versions, its not just the
    >> VAT collector). Competition from "outside" to those "middlemen" may be
    >> perceived by them as a threat. Go for it Bobby and good luck.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >

    > Bullshit Paul, how hard would it have been to type in www.newegg.com and
    > get a price?
    Much simpler than posting to this newsgroup which is just one reason why I
    don't think the use of "laziness" is correct - given that, how could it be?.
    If on the other hand the OP wanted more useful links to companies which will
    ship internationally (Newegg wont) or "hot specials" (which often aren't
    widely publicised - unless you know where to look that is), then that would
    be information much more easily obtained from those in the market of that
    country.

    I believe (although it wasn't stated) that thats the sort of info the OP was
    hoping for.

    Paul
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message
    <snip>
    >> Bullshit Paul, how hard would it have been to type in www.newegg.com and
    >> get a price?
    >>

    > Couldn't agree more. the effort used by the OP in all follow-up messages
    > could have been used more efficiently in searching for the information
    > themselves, no offence to them personally, but there comes a time when you
    > need to do things for yourself.
    You're not seeing the point - which is sometimes to best/most appropriate
    deals aren't publicised widely on the web. All the web searching in the
    world isn't going to find those deals if the search engines aren't onto them
    (or the wrong one is used). Good on Bobby for trying to get a better deal
    than the high price offerings hes so far been able to find in the UK. If
    more people did that then the people who sell ATI gear here may actually
    come up with more competitive prices.

    Paul
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > "NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Couldn't agree more. the effort used by the OP in all follow-up messages
    >> could have been used more efficiently in searching for the information
    >> themselves, no offence to them personally, but there comes a time when
    >> you need to do things for yourself.
    >
    > Also getting all your info from a public newsgroup is not that smart,
    > surely better to have at least some info and then ask some pertinent
    > questions.

    Who said anything about him getting ALL his info here - a wise man would use
    any provided links as a starting point and go from there.

    Paul
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Sean" <dogchainxno@spamhotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message

    >>> Couldn't agree more. the effort used by the OP in all follow-up messages
    >>> could have been used more efficiently in searching for the information
    >>> themselves, no offence to them personally, but there comes a time when
    >>> you need to do things for yourself.
    >>
    >> Also getting all your info from a public newsgroup is not that smart,
    >> surely better to have at least some info and then ask some pertinent
    >> questions.
    >>

    > I completely agree. I've followed this thread (just like me to follow
    > something like this and not the news!) and think Bobby should go on ahead
    > and find a price via online merchants.
    >
    > Otherwise, Bobby, want my BBA 9800 pro for $300? =)
    I completely disagree. Which online merchants to use comes into the equation
    big time and that info is more well known from people in the home market. As
    well as people who won't help others to succeed but instead complain,
    another of my pet hate behaviours is when people post with prices
    automatically assuming I know which $ they're talking about. $300 in Hong
    Kong is quite different to $300 in Australia or the US and a $300 (Hong
    Kong) would be a very cheap 9800 Pro (about £20). :-)

    Paul
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    You'll definitely regret buying from the states if, for example, you
    open the box and find a box of batteries in there, instead of the
    video card.

    Even if you buy using a credit card, you have no protection at all,
    except for the goodwill of the company you buy from.

    Do yourself a favour and spend a few quid extra buying it in the UK.

    You know it makes sense.

    Jiminy Cricket

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:07:20 -0000, "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote:

    >Given the state of the US dollar, I was thinking of buying a 9800 card from
    >the States and importing it to the UK.
    >
    >I can get a card locally for £135 ($256) so it would have to be considerably
    >less than this for me to take the risk (and pay the postage!).
    >
    >So, what's a 9800 Pro selliing for in the States right now?
    >
    >Cheers.
    >
    >Bobby

  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    While its true that "horror stories" like this occur, its much less likely
    to occur if the purchase is made with a reputable supplier. I've purchased
    many items from the USA (& even one from Canada). The worst I've had is my
    Canadian motherboard (bought through eBay used from a home company supplier)
    arrived with a broken CPU retention clip (which I replaced with a £2 cheapie
    U.R.M. bought here in the UK).

    It comes down to a simple question, is the OP willing to take the risk that
    IF it goes wrong, he'll have very little consumer protection - in exchange
    for the savings that can be made. I think its worth it just to send the
    message to local sellers that their prices should be on-par with those in
    the USA and it should NEVER be cheaper for an individual to home import
    gear, because anything else just doesn't make sense.

    Paul

    "Guru #99" <guru@gurusrus.gu.ru> wrote in message
    > You'll definitely regret buying from the states if, for example, you
    > open the box and find a box of batteries in there, instead of the
    > video card.
    >
    > Even if you buy using a credit card, you have no protection at all,
    > except for the goodwill of the company you buy from.
    >
    > Do yourself a favour and spend a few quid extra buying it in the UK.
    >
    > You know it makes sense.
    >
    > Jiminy Cricket
    >
    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:07:20 -0000, "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Given the state of the US dollar, I was thinking of buying a 9800 card
    >>from
    >>the States and importing it to the UK.
    >>
    >>I can get a card locally for £135 ($256) so it would have to be
    >>considerably
    >>less than this for me to take the risk (and pay the postage!).
    >>
    >>So, what's a 9800 Pro selliing for in the States right now?
    >>
    >>Cheers.
    >>
    >>Bobby

  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Pete D wrote:
    > "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"NDF" <none@entered.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message

    >>>People are more likely to offer help to those willing to help themselves.
    >>>
    >>>Asking to be spoon-fed is not the way to go.
    >>
    >>It's a matter of degree what's considered being "Spoon Fed". The question
    >>asked by Bobby is so straight forward that it won't take much effort at
    >>all from people in the US with suitable experience to answer it. Given
    >>that he's made the effort to pose the question and reply to criticism
    >>associated with asking the question, "laziness" hasn't occurred. My
    >>thoughts are that anyone willing to go to the trouble of importing
    >>something like that (with all the associated import duty/VAT calculations
    >>to make) is more likely far from lazy and probably quite industrious!
    >>Anyone who's ever tried booking accomodation for holidays online, will
    >>find that often the best value accomodation isn't as widely advertised on
    >>the web - you find out about it when you get there from locals with the
    >>experience. The same thing applies with PC parts.
    >>
    >>I've always been disappointed with the price ATI cards sell for in the UK
    >>compared to US products (and Australasia/South Pacific Area is even
    >>worse). Someone somewhere is making a killing (and given that UK prices
    >>are often much more than 17.5% dearer than US versions, its not just the
    >>VAT collector). Competition from "outside" to those "middlemen" may be
    >>perceived by them as a threat. Go for it Bobby and good luck.
    >>
    >>Paul
    >

    > Bullshit Paul, how hard would it have been to type in www.newegg.com and get
    > a price?

    Pete - there is no shop called newegg in the UK. The OP may not know of
    that or other outlets. I'd have thought the least someone could do
    would be to post a few US websites to start the OP on his way. Shaun
    (in the UK so apologies for not posting a few US websites).
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Look through this newsgroup for the story of someone who bought a
    video card from Best Buy (reputable?) and got batteries instead.

    Buying from abroad has got to be a last resort. Anyone who does it
    just to save a few pounds is a mug.

    I know several local shops near me that will price match, even if they
    don't admit it in public. It's always worth trying anyway.

    On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:48:50 -0000, "Paul Murphy"
    <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote:

    >While its true that "horror stories" like this occur, its much less likely
    >to occur if the purchase is made with a reputable supplier. I've purchased
    >many items from the USA (& even one from Canada). The worst I've had is my
    >Canadian motherboard (bought through eBay used from a home company supplier)
    >arrived with a broken CPU retention clip (which I replaced with a £2 cheapie
    >U.R.M. bought here in the UK).
    >
    >It comes down to a simple question, is the OP willing to take the risk that
    >IF it goes wrong, he'll have very little consumer protection - in exchange
    >for the savings that can be made. I think its worth it just to send the
    >message to local sellers that their prices should be on-par with those in
    >the USA and it should NEVER be cheaper for an individual to home import
    >gear, because anything else just doesn't make sense.
    >
    >Paul
    >
    >"Guru #99" <guru@gurusrus.gu.ru> wrote in message
    >> You'll definitely regret buying from the states if, for example, you
    >> open the box and find a box of batteries in there, instead of the
    >> video card.
    >>
    >> Even if you buy using a credit card, you have no protection at all,
    >> except for the goodwill of the company you buy from.
    >>
    >> Do yourself a favour and spend a few quid extra buying it in the UK.
    >>
    >> You know it makes sense.
    >>
    >> Jiminy Cricket
    >>
    >> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:07:20 -0000, "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Given the state of the US dollar, I was thinking of buying a 9800 card
    >>>from
    >>>the States and importing it to the UK.
    >>>
    >>>I can get a card locally for £135 ($256) so it would have to be
    >>>considerably
    >>>less than this for me to take the risk (and pay the postage!).
    >>>
    >>>So, what's a 9800 Pro selliing for in the States right now?
    >>>
    >>>Cheers.
    >>>
    >>>Bobby

  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I did see that story - and the follow up messages. That's a good reason why
    its useful to have recommendations from people with experience having dealt
    with those shops. I would take such a post as meaning be wary of buying from
    the particular store involved but certainly not from every store in that
    country. Buying from abroad is a choice which consumers can make.

    I agree that its not worth doing just to save "a few" pounds on items which
    are expensive and may break but what if the savings to be had are more than
    a few pounds? For example my "refurbished" Logitech Cordless desktop combo
    (keyboard & mouse) cost me about US$35 from memory. Here in the UK at the
    time they were about £60 and even though I had to pay postage and customs
    etc on it (bought it with a bunch of other stuff from the same supplier - so
    postage costs were proportionally cheaper) I still saved more than "a few"
    pounds and the package that arrived was as good as new. That supplier was
    www.computergeeks.com

    It is worth attempting to price match but when the importers/distributors
    are largely responsible for the inflated price in the first place, how is
    the good old "local shop" supposed to compete?

    > Look through this newsgroup for the story of someone who bought a
    > video card from Best Buy (reputable?) and got batteries instead.
    >
    > Buying from abroad has got to be a last resort. Anyone who does it
    > just to save a few pounds is a mug.
    >
    > I know several local shops near me that will price match, even if they
    > don't admit it in public. It's always worth trying anyway.
    >
    > On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:48:50 -0000, "Paul Murphy"
    > <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>While its true that "horror stories" like this occur, its much less likely
    >>to occur if the purchase is made with a reputable supplier. I've purchased
    >>many items from the USA (& even one from Canada). The worst I've had is my
    >>Canadian motherboard (bought through eBay used from a home company
    >>supplier)
    >>arrived with a broken CPU retention clip (which I replaced with a £2
    >>cheapie
    >>U.R.M. bought here in the UK).
    >>
    >>It comes down to a simple question, is the OP willing to take the risk
    >>that
    >>IF it goes wrong, he'll have very little consumer protection - in exchange
    >>for the savings that can be made. I think its worth it just to send the
    >>message to local sellers that their prices should be on-par with those in
    >>the USA and it should NEVER be cheaper for an individual to home import
    >>gear, because anything else just doesn't make sense.
    >>
    >>Paul
    >>
    >>"Guru #99" <guru@gurusrus.gu.ru> wrote in message
    >>> You'll definitely regret buying from the states if, for example, you
    >>> open the box and find a box of batteries in there, instead of the
    >>> video card.
    >>>
    >>> Even if you buy using a credit card, you have no protection at all,
    >>> except for the goodwill of the company you buy from.
    >>>
    >>> Do yourself a favour and spend a few quid extra buying it in the UK.
    >>>
    >>> You know it makes sense.
    >>>
    >>> Jiminy Cricket

Radeon ATI Graphics