Winlogon.exe 100% CPU fixed using Fast User Switching

May 3, 2005 11:02:08 AM

Hi all any help on this would be great

XP Sp1 PC joined to a AD Domain 2003, Winlogon chews 50% ( 1 whole virtual
processor with HT) and exhibits behavior like WINS is dead, no network names
availble etc...

The box is clean it has been scanned with all the fun toys adware etc/

If you take the PC out of the domain and start using the welome screen and
enable fast user switching option then the problem goes away.

We have seen this once before and cleared it with a rebuild - now that
another second PC is doing it I would like to understand the problem. With
winlogon using the processor intesively the fans all spin up making the box
damned loud which is a nice tell tale sign, but the PC will not shutdown or
reboot cleanly and has to be powered down by pressing and holding the power
button.

We can not keep the box out of the domain so whats going on with winlogon?

any help greatly appreciated.

Carnie

More about : winlogon exe 100 cpu fixed fast user switching

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:50:37 AM

"Carnie" <Carnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all any help on this would be great
>
> XP Sp1 PC joined to a AD Domain 2003, Winlogon chews 50% ( 1 whole virtual
> processor with HT) and exhibits behavior like WINS is dead, no network
> names
> availble etc...
>
> The box is clean it has been scanned with all the fun toys adware etc/
>
> If you take the PC out of the domain and start using the welome screen
> and
> enable fast user switching option then the problem goes away.
>
> We have seen this once before and cleared it with a rebuild - now that
> another second PC is doing it I would like to understand the problem. With
> winlogon using the processor intesively the fans all spin up making the
> box
> damned loud which is a nice tell tale sign, but the PC will not shutdown
> or
> reboot cleanly and has to be powered down by pressing and holding the
> power
> button.
>
> We can not keep the box out of the domain so whats going on with winlogon?
>
> any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Carnie

Sounds like a problem with trying to find a DC. Is there a DC on the same
subnet? I'd check all the TCP/IP properties compared to another machine on
the same subnet. Also check that some malware hasn't changed the hosts file.

Kerry