Changing Administrator/User back to original (default) Adm..

May 3, 2005 1:15:03 PM

When I originally set-up my Windows XP Professional system over a year ago I
only had one user (the default administrator user that the system
automatically establishes). Yesterday in attempting to establish and
additional user for occasional use in accessing certain work related files, I
inadvertently gave the "administrator" capabilities to the new user I
established. In doing so, I seem to have eliminated the ability to "be" the
original user. (It is not shown as a potential user that I could select).

Now when I turn on my computer it assumes I am the new user and not the
original user. It does not give me the opportunity to revert to the original
user. Since all the files, prefences, etc. that I normally access are
established under the original user, I can not easily access them as the new
user. I need a way to re-establish this original user as the administrator
and the default user when I fire-up my computer.

If I "restore" the system to a point before I added the new user will this
fix the problem? If not, what are my alternatives to re-establish the
original user?

FYI, through the use of Windows Explorer I can see the files established
under the original user. The are under "administrator" the original user
default name.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

BigBill
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 10:07:02 PM

use, control panel, user accounts, look at the way you log onto system
(Select logon and logoff options and or check managed account options. This
will only work if you are not on a domain (workgroup only). then the welcome
screen apears and gives you the previous identity and the new one you
created. then you can manage the accounts/identities and choose who has the
administration rights. also the is a default identity ADMINISTRATOR with the
ORIGINAL pasword you selected if not use "password"

"bigbillinboston" wrote:

> When I originally set-up my Windows XP Professional system over a year ago I
> only had one user (the default administrator user that the system
> automatically establishes). Yesterday in attempting to establish and
> additional user for occasional use in accessing certain work related files, I
> inadvertently gave the "administrator" capabilities to the new user I
> established. In doing so, I seem to have eliminated the ability to "be" the
> original user. (It is not shown as a potential user that I could select).
>
> Now when I turn on my computer it assumes I am the new user and not the
> original user. It does not give me the opportunity to revert to the original
> user. Since all the files, prefences, etc. that I normally access are
> established under the original user, I can not easily access them as the new
> user. I need a way to re-establish this original user as the administrator
> and the default user when I fire-up my computer.
>
> If I "restore" the system to a point before I added the new user will this
> fix the problem? If not, what are my alternatives to re-establish the
> original user?
>
> FYI, through the use of Windows Explorer I can see the files established
> under the original user. The are under "administrator" the original user
> default name.
>
> Thanks for your assistance.
>
> Regards,
>
> BigBill
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 12:34:01 PM

I solved the problem. After opening widows as the "new user" that I
then deleated the current user name on the "login" line and entered
"administrator" instead then logged in. Voila! Everything back to normal.

Now when I turn on my computer it gives me the choice of which user I want
to be...the new one or my "normal" administrator one.

BigBill

!