changing client protocol...

Last response: in Video Games
January 25, 2005 6:37:41 PM

how can i change client protocol to 47 ?
server says that "sever uses protocol 47 and client 46"
any ideas ? ;)

bai
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 6:37:42 PM

bailif wrote:
> how can i change client protocol to 47 ?
> server says that "sever uses protocol 47 and client 46"
> any ideas ? ;)

Assuming you're trying to play online, and not LAN, You need to update
your version of HL to use Steam, which is Valve's online mechanism.

get Steam from http://www.steampowered.com

Steam converts your existing game files to it's own format, effectively
copying your existing files to the new Game Cache files. it will spend
some time downloading the updates too.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Anonymous

Hi,

In article <ct5lgt$92i$1@213.17.150.54>,
bailif<esemesowy_NO@SPAM_wp.pl> wrote:
> how can i change client protocol to 47 ?
> server says that "sever uses protocol 47 and client 46"
> any ideas ? ;)

I imagine that means you're running an older version than the server is.

Is this HL1 or 2? You need an update whichever it is. HL2 updates are
applied automatically. HL1 updates may need to be downloaded and applied.

Andy
January 27, 2005 3:58:10 AM

"Ben Cottrell"

> I'm aware of these, although I would only suggest them as a 'last resort',
> since the servers are unsecured

*cough* one should set up ones own server and have ones friend join applying
the usual password of ones choice

Joining and unknown, unsecure server is asking for trouble
So is joining a steam server not protected by vac :-)

- Peter
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 3:58:11 AM

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
> "Ben Cottrell"
>

>>I'm aware of these, although I would only suggest them as a 'last resort',
>>since the servers are unsecured
>

> *cough* one should set up ones own server and have ones friend join applying
> the usual password of ones choice
>
> Joining and unknown, unsecure server is asking for trouble
> So is joining a steam server not protected by vac :-)

Ah yes, Good point :)

I'm not sure what the OP wanted to do.. I got a feeling he wasn't trying
to join a game with friends, else they would surely have told him?

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
!