Canon G5 or Nikon CP5400?

I'm after a digital camera that isn't the top line, but gives more control
than your normal point and shoot IXUS style digital cameras. These are the
two i was thinking of getting one of. Why would one be better than the
other? The canon has a faster lens (f/2) than the nikon (f/2.8) but is there
that much difference? how does this affect the photo's? The Nikon has a
wider angle so you don't have to stand as far back, but this means it
doesn't zoom as far. I had a look at each one at a Camera store today and
just can't decide which one to go for. I was told about the Nikon CP5700, is
this much better than the G5 and CP5400? is it worth the extra couple
of hundred dollars and why?

Also i am looking for a cheap little camera, something like 2mp-3mp just so
that i can chuck it in my pocket and keep it handy for party shots etc. Any
recommendations on those? I was thinking the Sony Cybershot U but that uses
expensive media. Ideally i'd like to keep it the same as the canon/nikon but
understand that the smaller cameras use SD rather than CF to save on space
so might just have to deal with two media types. Movies with sound would
also be handy, but not essential.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice. I've got to make my decision
before i go Over Seas in 2 weeks!!! The better Canon/Nikon should take some
fantastic tourist/landscape/landmark photo's!

-- Andrew
4 answers Last reply
More about canon nikon cp5400

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:42:59 GMT, "GiJO" <newsgroups@THEOBVIOUSmutestyle.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm after a digital camera that isn't the top line, but gives more control
    >than your normal point and shoot IXUS style digital cameras. These are the
    >two i was thinking of getting one of. Why would one be better than the
    >other? The canon has a faster lens (f/2) than the nikon (f/2.8) but is there
    >that much difference? how does this affect the photo's? The Nikon has a
    >wider angle so you don't have to stand as far back, but this means it
    >doesn't zoom as far. I had a look at each one at a Camera store today and
    >just can't decide which one to go for. I was told about the Nikon CP5700, is
    >this much better than the G5 and CP5400? is it worth the extra couple
    >of hundred dollars and why?
    >
    >Also i am looking for a cheap little camera, something like 2mp-3mp just so
    >that i can chuck it in my pocket and keep it handy for party shots etc. Any
    >recommendations on those? I was thinking the Sony Cybershot U but that uses
    >expensive media. Ideally i'd like to keep it the same as the canon/nikon but
    >understand that the smaller cameras use SD rather than CF to save on space
    >so might just have to deal with two media types. Movies with sound would
    >also be handy, but not essential.
    >
    >Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice. I've got to make my decision
    >before i go Over Seas in 2 weeks!!! The better Canon/Nikon should take some
    >fantastic tourist/landscape/landmark photo's!
    >
    >-- Andrew

    I had a GP5700 for almost a month but took it back and exchanged it for a
    Canon G-3 AND a Canon PowerShot S400. The GP5700 is a nice camera
    but I think the G-3 took sharper images..... I later exchanged it for the Canon
    G-5, which I'm using now...along with the S400.... While the GP5700 has an
    impressive 8X optical zoom, it isn't Image Stabilized, so one has to use it
    with care and as fast a shutter speed as conditions will permit. I also found
    the G3/G5 easier to learn to use. The addition of a Canon 420EX flash unit
    has given me some nice photos.
    For long shots I also have an Olympus C-2100UZ camera with a 10X
    Optical Image Stabilized lens. While only a 2.1 MP camera it gives
    respectable results as long as I don't crop very much.
    I've never used the GP5400 camera.

    Jack Mac

    Jack Mac

    "GiJO" <newsgroups@THEOBVIOUSmutestyle.com> wrote in message
    > I'm after a digital camera that isn't the top line, but gives more control
    > than your normal point and shoot IXUS style digital cameras. These are the
    > two i was thinking of getting one of. Why would one be better than the
    > other? The canon has a faster lens (f/2) than the nikon (f/2.8) but is
    there
    > that much difference? how does this affect the photo's? The Nikon has a
    > wider angle so you don't have to stand as far back, but this means it
    > doesn't zoom as far. I had a look at each one at a Camera store today and
    > just can't decide which one to go for. I was told about the Nikon CP5700,
    is
    > this much better than the G5 and CP5400? is it worth the extra couple
    > of hundred dollars and why?
    >
    > Also i am looking for a cheap little camera, something like 2mp-3mp just
    so
    > that i can chuck it in my pocket and keep it handy for party shots etc.
    Any
    > recommendations on those? I was thinking the Sony Cybershot U but that
    uses
    > expensive media. Ideally i'd like to keep it the same as the canon/nikon
    but
    > understand that the smaller cameras use SD rather than CF to save on space
    > so might just have to deal with two media types. Movies with sound would
    > also be handy, but not essential.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice. I've got to make my decision
    > before i go Over Seas in 2 weeks!!! The better Canon/Nikon should take
    some
    > fantastic tourist/landscape/landmark photo's!
    >
    > -- Andrew

    All I can say is that I have the G5 and am very happy with it.

    Eddie

    After lots and lots of research, I got a G5 (read the reviews at
    www.steves-digicam.com and www.dcresource.com). The only thing I don't like
    about it is that in the manual mode, it takes away the control of the +/-
    white balance adjustment. I don't know why they would make that go automatic
    in the manual mode (and only in the full manual mode. The Tv and Av and P
    modes leave it accesable). Other than that I am extremely pleased, and it
    isn't much of a big deal anyways. As far as the faster lense, the bigger
    aperature lets in more light, and that can mean wonders in any macro shots.
    In macro shots of many things, flash would ruin the look, and if you don't
    make a light tent, you need either a tripod or a big aperature.
    Richard
    "GiJO" <newsgroups@THEOBVIOUSmutestyle.com> wrote in message
    > I'm after a digital camera that isn't the top line, but gives more control
    > than your normal point and shoot IXUS style digital cameras. These are the
    > two i was thinking of getting one of. Why would one be better than the
    > other? The canon has a faster lens (f/2) than the nikon (f/2.8) but is
    there
    > that much difference? how does this affect the photo's? The Nikon has a
    > wider angle so you don't have to stand as far back, but this means it
    > doesn't zoom as far. I had a look at each one at a Camera store today and
    > just can't decide which one to go for. I was told about the Nikon CP5700,
    is
    > this much better than the G5 and CP5400? is it worth the extra couple
    > of hundred dollars and why?
    >
    > Also i am looking for a cheap little camera, something like 2mp-3mp just
    so
    > that i can chuck it in my pocket and keep it handy for party shots etc.
    Any
    > recommendations on those? I was thinking the Sony Cybershot U but that
    uses
    > expensive media. Ideally i'd like to keep it the same as the canon/nikon
    but
    > understand that the smaller cameras use SD rather than CF to save on space
    > so might just have to deal with two media types. Movies with sound would
    > also be handy, but not essential.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice. I've got to make my decision
    > before i go Over Seas in 2 weeks!!! The better Canon/Nikon should take
    some
    > fantastic tourist/landscape/landmark photo's!
    >
    > -- Andrew

    I'm a total newbie to this digital photo stuff and have used both a G3
    and a G5 and didn't like the G5. I though it produced more noise and the
    pictures weren't as crisp and focused compared to a G3.

    Just my .02

    In article <407bd289$0$16581$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au>,
    Woofdog@kennel.com.au says...

    > "GiJO" <newsgroups@THEOBVIOUSmutestyle.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm after a digital camera that isn't the top line, but gives more control
    > > than your normal point and shoot IXUS style digital cameras. These are the
    > > two i was thinking of getting one of. Why would one be better than the
    > > other? The canon has a faster lens (f/2) than the nikon (f/2.8) but is
    > there
    > > that much difference? how does this affect the photo's? The Nikon has a
    > > wider angle so you don't have to stand as far back, but this means it
    > > doesn't zoom as far. I had a look at each one at a Camera store today and
    > > just can't decide which one to go for. I was told about the Nikon CP5700,
    > is
    > > this much better than the G5 and CP5400? is it worth the extra couple
    > > of hundred dollars and why?
    > >
    > > Also i am looking for a cheap little camera, something like 2mp-3mp just
    > so
    > > that i can chuck it in my pocket and keep it handy for party shots etc.
    > Any
    > > recommendations on those? I was thinking the Sony Cybershot U but that
    > uses
    > > expensive media. Ideally i'd like to keep it the same as the canon/nikon
    > but
    > > understand that the smaller cameras use SD rather than CF to save on space
    > > so might just have to deal with two media types. Movies with sound would
    > > also be handy, but not essential.
    > >
    > > Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice. I've got to make my decision
    > > before i go Over Seas in 2 weeks!!! The better Canon/Nikon should take
    > some
    > > fantastic tourist/landscape/landmark photo's!
    > >
    > > -- Andrew
    >
    > All I can say is that I have the G5 and am very happy with it.
    >
    > Eddie

Cameras Nikon Canon Peripherals