DavidS

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

I'm an administrator of Windows network with respective admin privilidges. I
log in as the Administrator account, and I can perform the Windows update on
my laptop - setup with Windows XP professional. When I log in as myself -
even though I'm part of the Administrators group, I am not allowed to perform
the Windows' Update. I get the message "Network policy settings prevent you
from using Windows Update to download and install updates on your computer.
[Error number : 0x8DDD0003]".
How do I change the group policy settings so my account/my login ID will
have permission to use Windows Update on my laptop. I've researched this
somewhat - and have an article Q326686 - but the resolution doesn't apply for
Windows XP OS. I'm not sure where to access the Group Policy MMC snap-in.
OR, if this is not the approach, How do I do this. Please advise.

Tnks Always.

Even though you are in the Administrators group, you may necessarily have the
required security permissions. But, because you are in the Administrators
group, you are able to take ownership and then give yourself the necessary
permissions. Be aware though that you are now the owner of the files, so
there is the means for a security administrator to know that this has
occurred.

"DavidS" wrote:

> I'm an administrator of Windows network with respective admin privilidges. I
> log in as the Administrator account, and I can perform the Windows update on
> my laptop - setup with Windows XP professional. When I log in as myself -
> even though I'm part of the Administrators group, I am not allowed to perform
> the Windows' Update. I get the message "Network policy settings prevent you
> from using Windows Update to download and install updates on your computer.
> [Error number : 0x8DDD0003]".
> How do I change the group policy settings so my account/my login ID will
> have permission to use Windows Update on my laptop. I've researched this
> somewhat - and have an article Q326686 - but the resolution doesn't apply for
> Windows XP OS. I'm not sure where to access the Group Policy MMC snap-in.
> OR, if this is not the approach, How do I do this. Please advise.
>
> Tnks Always.

DavidS

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

Curt -

I have the issue now resolved. See another post in same workgroup "regedit
disabled" by myself.

Thanks anyways for help.