login and logout times - XP Home Edition

May 3, 2005 4:49:01 PM

Hi - need a way to check a teenager's use of XP home edition. is there an
easy way to verify login and logout times for a user? Thanks!
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:56:04 PM

Thanks! That looks like a good parental control product, but I was thinking
more of capabilities within XP itself. Can I set and monitor user "hours of
use" for logging in? Thanks again!

"dave kramer" wrote:

> Hi - need a way to check a teenager's use of XP home edition. is there an
> easy way to verify login and logout times for a user? Thanks!
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 9:43:50 PM

IamBigBrother
http://www.iambigbrother.com/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"dave kramer" wrote:

| Hi - need a way to check a teenager's use of XP home edition. is there an
| easy way to verify login and logout times for a user? Thanks!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0518-1, 05/02/2005
Tested on: 5/3/2005 5:43:51 PM
May 4, 2005 12:10:51 PM

dave kramer wrote:
> Thanks! That looks like a good parental control product, but I was thinking
> more of capabilities within XP itself. Can I set and monitor user "hours of
> use" for logging in? Thanks again!
>
> "dave kramer" wrote:
>

>>Hi - need a way to check a teenager's use of XP home edition. is there an
>>easy way to verify login and logout times for a user? Thanks!

I don't know if XP Home allows for it, but in Windows XP Pro you can set
up Audit policies to audit logon events so you can know when a user has
logged into the machine.
Also (still in Pro) you can use the "net user /time" command line
utility to limit the authorized logon hours for a user. You may
eventually couple this to the "Force logoff when logon hours expire" policy.

About the http://www.iambigbrother.com/ mentioned in another posting,
well, it really gives a "Big Brother is watching you" kind of feeling
with all the privacy violations it implies. Personally I wouldn't like
to be watched like that :-(

All that being said, the best is a good education ;-)

Eduardo
!