Monitor or video card problem?

My desktop is shrinking/growing on its own, just flickers and changes size.
Is this an indicator of a monitor issue (17" CRT, 2 years old) or the video
card (ATI 32MB Radeon (yes the original)), or is this an either/or
situation? If it the monitor is there an adjustment I can make, or should I
just upgrade the card & see if that helps, then the monitor if not?

TIA
5 answers Last reply
More about monitor video card problem

    "Dwight Deckard" <dwd1965@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My desktop is shrinking/growing on its own, just flickers and changes
    > size. Is this an indicator of a monitor issue (17" CRT, 2 years old) or
    > the video card (ATI 32MB Radeon (yes the original)), or is this an
    > either/or situation? If it the monitor is there an adjustment I can make,
    > or should I just upgrade the card & see if that helps, then the monitor if
    > not?
    >
    > TIA

    I'd boot up in safe mode (press f8 like crazy at boot up), and see if the
    problem affects the system there as well.
    If it does, i'd guess the monitor. If not, i'd consider the video card or
    it's drivers to be at fault.

    If your monitor is only 2 years old..the warranty MAY still be in effect.

    You don't have your monitor sitting on a microwave oven right :)

    jody

    "Jody" <info@abaxcom.com> wrote in message
    > "Dwight Deckard" <dwd1965@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> My desktop is shrinking/growing on its own, just flickers and changes
    >> size. Is this an indicator of a monitor issue (17" CRT, 2 years old) or
    >> the video card (ATI 32MB Radeon (yes the original)), or is this an
    >> either/or situation? If it the monitor is there an adjustment I can make,
    >> or should I just upgrade the card & see if that helps, then the monitor
    >> if not?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >
    > I'd boot up in safe mode (press f8 like crazy at boot up), and see if the
    > problem affects the system there as well.
    > If it does, i'd guess the monitor. If not, i'd consider the video card or
    > it's drivers to be at fault.
    >
    > If your monitor is only 2 years old..the warranty MAY still be in effect.
    >
    > You don't have your monitor sitting on a microwave oven right :)
    >

    > jody

    No, it's not the microwave, but we have a cat that I occasionally find
    sleeping on the monitor. I thought about opening it up and blowing it out
    with canned air to see if that helps.

    I'll try safe mode & go from there. Thanks for the reply.

    As an afterthought, I wonder if this could be a driver/XP service pack 2
    issue. I'll check for driver updates as well.

    Dwight

    > "Jody" <info@abaxcom.com> wrote in message
    > > "Dwight Deckard" <dwd1965@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> My desktop is shrinking/growing on its own, just flickers and changes
    > >> size. Is this an indicator of a monitor issue (17" CRT, 2 years old) or
    > >> the video card (ATI 32MB Radeon (yes the original)), or is this an
    > >> either/or situation? If it the monitor is there an adjustment I can
    make,
    > >> or should I just upgrade the card & see if that helps, then the monitor
    > >> if not?
    > >>
    > >> TIA
    > >
    > > I'd boot up in safe mode (press f8 like crazy at boot up), and see if
    the
    > > problem affects the system there as well.
    > > If it does, i'd guess the monitor. If not, i'd consider the video card
    or
    > > it's drivers to be at fault.
    > >
    > > If your monitor is only 2 years old..the warranty MAY still be in
    effect.

    > > You don't have your monitor sitting on a microwave oven right :)
    > >

    > > jody
    > >

    > No, it's not the microwave, but we have a cat that I occasionally find
    > sleeping on the monitor. I thought about opening it up and blowing it out
    > with canned air to see if that helps.
    >
    > I'll try safe mode & go from there. Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > As an afterthought, I wonder if this could be a driver/XP service pack 2
    > issue. I'll check for driver updates as well.
    >
    > Dwight

    Noooooo.... opening the cat up and blowing it out will really do it no good
    what so ever.

    Also, it might be illegal :-/

    "Gingangooli" <iaintusingemail@itsafunnlyoldworld.com> wrote in message

    > "Dwight Deckard" <dwd1965@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jody" <info@abaxcom.com> wrote in message
    >> > "Dwight Deckard" <dwd1965@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > make,

    >> > I'd boot up in safe mode (press f8 like crazy at boot up), and see if
    > the
    >> > problem affects the system there as well.
    >> > If it does, i'd guess the monitor. If not, i'd consider the video card
    > or
    >> > it's drivers to be at fault.
    >> >
    >> > If your monitor is only 2 years old..the warranty MAY still be in
    > effect.
    >> >
    >> > You don't have your monitor sitting on a microwave oven right :)
    >> >

    >> > jody
    >> >

    >> No, it's not the microwave, but we have a cat that I occasionally find
    >> sleeping on the monitor. I thought about opening it up and blowing it out
    >> with canned air to see if that helps.
    >>
    >> I'll try safe mode & go from there. Thanks for the reply.
    >>
    >> As an afterthought, I wonder if this could be a driver/XP service pack 2
    >> issue. I'll check for driver updates as well.
    >>
    >> Dwight
    >>

    > Noooooo.... opening the cat up and blowing it out will really do it no
    > good
    > what so ever.
    >
    > Also, it might be illegal :-/

    Yeah, you're probably right...the wife woulda put me out for sure. Thanks
    for pointing it out.

    If it is the monitor, you have a high voltage problem.
    When the size gets larger .. if it gets dimmer, then the
    problem is the monitor. Time for a new monitor. On
    the other hand, if the brightness stays the same, then
    I think the video card is jumping settings / resolutions
    for some reason ?? I'm betting on the monitor. Flickering
    sounds like arcing in the flyback .. or a bad solder joint
    on one of the big electrolytics in the monitor. Not worth
    the cost of repairing. Get a 19inch AOS from Mwave
    ... or a local computer shop. The pure flat is only about
    $189 or less.

    johns

Radeon Graphics Cards Monitors ATI Graphics