So, Ron Baird how come...

You don't respond to a post about simple disassembly of Kodak DC-120 for
cleaning dirt from lens? Old camera no longer on the market and most likely
worthless but an owner only wants to clean it, not make any money or take
away anything from KODAK.

NoSpamSam
4 answers Last reply
More about baird come

    Greetings NoSpamSam,

    I am glad to help with the issue you note. Did not see it? Unless it was
    directed to me specifically, I may overlook. I am always glad to help,
    however, can you reiterate? I do recall a request for a service manual that
    are not available. Also, Kodak does not advise the disassembly of a camera
    to try and clean the lens. You are sure to run into trouble when trying to
    calibrate the lens, and reassemble the camera. If you do not have the
    particular tools for this it can be quite frustrating.

    If it is to clean the lens on the camera, I would use a good clean cloth,
    i.e. Tshirt. As a one time fix, use some lens cleaner to remove surface
    materials.

    Other that that, I always suggest the use of a card reader if one is
    available for your system. I would investigate trying Irfanview as well
    since it will read the KDC files that the DC120 yields. Makes life a lot
    easier.

    Let me know if there is more I can do.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    "NoSpamSam" <NoSpamSam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > You don't respond to a post about simple disassembly of Kodak DC-120 for
    > cleaning dirt from lens? Old camera no longer on the market and most
    likely
    > worthless but an owner only wants to clean it, not make any money or take
    > away anything from KODAK.
    >
    > NoSpamSam

    Thank you very much Ron. The problem is the dust and other objects just
    behind the lens cover. If you look into the lens you can see them clearly.
    The only way to clean would be to dissemble. I tried a plain camera cloth
    dry at first but it seems static must have brought out another larger
    particle to statically attach to behind the first element. I read a post
    (Google) that suggested the glass be broken to do what I want to do.
    Apparently the opinion is there is a glass cover between the outside and the
    lens itself. I still enjoy this oldie but goldie camera that is in mint
    condition other than this dirt. I was hoping there would be someone that
    could instruct me or make available a diagram that would show the inside. I
    would pay Kodak to clean if possible and reasonable. Not looking for a free
    ride. I emailed Kodak but no reply.

    Thanks Ron.

    Sam

    "Ron Baird" <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings NoSpamSam,
    >
    > I am glad to help with the issue you note. Did not see it? Unless it was
    > directed to me specifically, I may overlook. I am always glad to help,
    > however, can you reiterate? I do recall a request for a service manual
    that
    > are not available. Also, Kodak does not advise the disassembly of a
    camera
    > to try and clean the lens. You are sure to run into trouble when trying
    > calibrate the lens, and reassemble the camera. If you do not have the
    > particular tools for this it can be quite frustrating.
    >
    > If it is to clean the lens on the camera, I would use a good clean cloth,
    > i.e. Tshirt. As a one time fix, use some lens cleaner to remove surface
    > materials.
    >
    > Other that that, I always suggest the use of a card reader if one is
    > available for your system. I would investigate trying Irfanview as well
    > since it will read the KDC files that the DC120 yields. Makes life a lot
    > easier.
    >
    > Let me know if there is more I can do.
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company
    >

    > "NoSpamSam" <NoSpamSam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > You don't respond to a post about simple disassembly of Kodak DC-120 for
    > > cleaning dirt from lens? Old camera no longer on the market and most
    > likely
    > > worthless but an owner only wants to clean it, not make any money or
    take
    > > away anything from KODAK.
    > >
    > > NoSpamSam

    Hi Sam,

    I am requesting a quote on cleaning the lens. I am assuming your camera is
    perfect otherwise and you only want the lens to be cleaned of dust etc.
    United Camera would be the ones doing that work for us, and I believe their
    quotes are anywhere from $50 to $125? Get a quote from them first.

    Before sending it on (I can provide address if you need it), however, and to
    be clear on any questions about the repair, please call 1-630-595-2525 or
    email: tim@unitedcamera.com

    Good luck, Sam, let me know how you make out.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    > Thank you very much Ron. The problem is the dust and other objects just
    > behind the lens cover. If you look into the lens you can see them clearly.
    > The only way to clean would be to dissemble. I tried a plain camera cloth
    > dry at first but it seems static must have brought out another larger
    > particle to statically attach to behind the first element. I read a post
    > (Google) that suggested the glass be broken to do what I want to do.
    > Apparently the opinion is there is a glass cover between the outside and
    the
    > lens itself. I still enjoy this oldie but goldie camera that is in mint
    > condition other than this dirt. I was hoping there would be someone that
    > could instruct me or make available a diagram that would show the inside.
    > would pay Kodak to clean if possible and reasonable. Not looking for a
    free
    > ride. I emailed Kodak but no reply.
    >
    > Thanks Ron.
    >
    > Sam

    Thank you again Ron. Yes the camera is in mint condition and the dust is
    the only defect in an otherwise perfect camera. I have filters and add-on
    lenses and that add to its value. I plan on passing it on to a young family
    member who will make good use of it. I did get a reply from Kodak about
    referring me to a local shop that may also supply the cleaning service. I
    emailed them my address and an expecting their reply soon. I will also
    communicate with United Camera like you suggest and inform them I was
    refereed by you.

    Thank you very much.

    > Hi Sam,
    >
    > I am requesting a quote on cleaning the lens. I am assuming your camera
    is
    > perfect otherwise and you only want the lens to be cleaned of dust etc.
    > United Camera would be the ones doing that work for us, and I believe
    their
    > quotes are anywhere from $50 to $125? Get a quote from them first.
    >
    > Before sending it on (I can provide address if you need it), however, and
    > be clear on any questions about the repair, please call 1-630-595-2525 or
    > email: tim@unitedcamera.com
    >
    > Good luck, Sam, let me know how you make out.
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company
    >

    > > Thank you very much Ron. The problem is the dust and other objects just
    > > behind the lens cover. If you look into the lens you can see them
    clearly.
    > > The only way to clean would be to dissemble. I tried a plain camera
    cloth
    > > dry at first but it seems static must have brought out another larger
    > > particle to statically attach to behind the first element. I read a post
    > > (Google) that suggested the glass be broken to do what I want to do.
    > > Apparently the opinion is there is a glass cover between the outside and
    > the
    > > lens itself. I still enjoy this oldie but goldie camera that is in mint
    > > condition other than this dirt. I was hoping there would be someone that
    > > could instruct me or make available a diagram that would show the
    inside.
    > > would pay Kodak to clean if possible and reasonable. Not looking for a
    > free
    > > ride. I emailed Kodak but no reply.
    > >
    > > Thanks Ron.
    > >
    > > Sam