So, Ron Baird how come...

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 13, 2004 4:22:21 AM

You don't respond to a post about simple disassembly of Kodak DC-120 for
cleaning dirt from lens? Old camera no longer on the market and most likely
worthless but an owner only wants to clean it, not make any money or take
away anything from KODAK.

NoSpamSam

More about : ron baird

Anonymous
April 14, 2004 8:53:37 PM

Greetings NoSpamSam,

I am glad to help with the issue you note. Did not see it? Unless it was
directed to me specifically, I may overlook. I am always glad to help,
however, can you reiterate? I do recall a request for a service manual that
are not available. Also, Kodak does not advise the disassembly of a camera
to try and clean the lens. You are sure to run into trouble when trying to
calibrate the lens, and reassemble the camera. If you do not have the
particular tools for this it can be quite frustrating.

If it is to clean the lens on the camera, I would use a good clean cloth,
i.e. Tshirt. As a one time fix, use some lens cleaner to remove surface
materials.

Other that that, I always suggest the use of a card reader if one is
available for your system. I would investigate trying Irfanview as well
since it will read the KDC files that the DC120 yields. Makes life a lot
easier.

Let me know if there is more I can do.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"NoSpamSam" <NoSpamSam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> You don't respond to a post about simple disassembly of Kodak DC-120 for
> cleaning dirt from lens? Old camera no longer on the market and most
likely
> worthless but an owner only wants to clean it, not make any money or take
> away anything from KODAK.
>
> NoSpamSam

Anonymous
April 15, 2004 1:37:45 AM

Thank you very much Ron. The problem is the dust and other objects just
behind the lens cover. If you look into the lens you can see them clearly.
The only way to clean would be to dissemble. I tried a plain camera cloth
dry at first but it seems static must have brought out another larger
particle to statically attach to behind the first element. I read a post
(Google) that suggested the glass be broken to do what I want to do.
Apparently the opinion is there is a glass cover between the outside and the
lens itself. I still enjoy this oldie but goldie camera that is in mint
condition other than this dirt. I was hoping there would be someone that
could instruct me or make available a diagram that would show the inside. I
would pay Kodak to clean if possible and reasonable. Not looking for a free
ride. I emailed Kodak but no reply.

Thanks Ron.

Sam

"Ron Baird" <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote in message
> Greetings NoSpamSam,
>
> I am glad to help with the issue you note. Did not see it? Unless it was
> directed to me specifically, I may overlook. I am always glad to help,
> however, can you reiterate? I do recall a request for a service manual
that
> are not available. Also, Kodak does not advise the disassembly of a
camera
> to try and clean the lens. You are sure to run into trouble when trying
> calibrate the lens, and reassemble the camera. If you do not have the
> particular tools for this it can be quite frustrating.
>
> If it is to clean the lens on the camera, I would use a good clean cloth,
> i.e. Tshirt. As a one time fix, use some lens cleaner to remove surface
> materials.
>
> Other that that, I always suggest the use of a card reader if one is
> available for your system. I would investigate trying Irfanview as well
> since it will read the KDC files that the DC120 yields. Makes life a lot
> easier.
>
> Let me know if there is more I can do.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company
>

> "NoSpamSam" <NoSpamSam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > You don't respond to a post about simple disassembly of Kodak DC-120 for
> > cleaning dirt from lens? Old camera no longer on the market and most
> likely
> > worthless but an owner only wants to clean it, not make any money or
take
> > away anything from KODAK.
> >
> > NoSpamSam

April 20, 2004 2:36:46 PM

Hi Sam,

I am requesting a quote on cleaning the lens. I am assuming your camera is
perfect otherwise and you only want the lens to be cleaned of dust etc.
United Camera would be the ones doing that work for us, and I believe their
quotes are anywhere from $50 to $125? Get a quote from them first.

Before sending it on (I can provide address if you need it), however, and to
be clear on any questions about the repair, please call 1-630-595-2525 or
email: tim@unitedcamera.com

Good luck, Sam, let me know how you make out.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> Thank you very much Ron. The problem is the dust and other objects just
> behind the lens cover. If you look into the lens you can see them clearly.
> The only way to clean would be to dissemble. I tried a plain camera cloth
> dry at first but it seems static must have brought out another larger
> particle to statically attach to behind the first element. I read a post
> (Google) that suggested the glass be broken to do what I want to do.
> Apparently the opinion is there is a glass cover between the outside and
the
> lens itself. I still enjoy this oldie but goldie camera that is in mint
> condition other than this dirt. I was hoping there would be someone that
> could instruct me or make available a diagram that would show the inside.
> would pay Kodak to clean if possible and reasonable. Not looking for a
free
> ride. I emailed Kodak but no reply.
>
> Thanks Ron.
>
> Sam

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 12:11:45 AM

Thank you again Ron. Yes the camera is in mint condition and the dust is
the only defect in an otherwise perfect camera. I have filters and add-on
lenses and that add to its value. I plan on passing it on to a young family
member who will make good use of it. I did get a reply from Kodak about
referring me to a local shop that may also supply the cleaning service. I
emailed them my address and an expecting their reply soon. I will also
communicate with United Camera like you suggest and inform them I was
refereed by you.

Thank you very much.

!