SP2 update

I have Norton Internet Security installed on this PC. My previous PC wasn't
protected by Norton and fell foul to spyware etc particularly after
ServicePack 2 was installed. PC was so badly infected it was trashed.

I set automatic updates to this PC and SP2 has been automatically installed.
Since then I have been unable to send emails other than using my hotmail
account. If I use Outlook Express the messages remain in the outbox and go
nowhere.

I have contacted my broadband provider who tested connections etc and
advised it was the firewall that SP2 has, that is blocking my emails.
Internet connection is fine.

1. Is this a true conclusion
2. Should I remove the SP2 from PC
3. How do I remove SP2 from computer

Any help on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

Malke

Karen Fegan wrote:

> I have Norton Internet Security installed on this PC. My previous PC
> wasn't protected by Norton and fell foul to spyware etc particularly
> after ServicePack 2 was installed. PC was so badly infected it was
> trashed.
>
> I set automatic updates to this PC and SP2 has been automatically
> installed. Since then I have been unable to send emails other than
> using my hotmail account. If I use Outlook Express the messages remain
> in the outbox and go nowhere.
>
> I have contacted my broadband provider who tested connections etc and
> advised it was the firewall that SP2 has, that is blocking my emails.
> Internet connection is fine.
>
> 1. Is this a true conclusion
> 2. Should I remove the SP2 from PC
> 3. How do I remove SP2 from computer
>
> Any help on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

It is extremely unlikely that the SP2 firewall is blocking your emails.
Rather, it is probably a case of you having two firewalls running at
the same time, causing conflicts. You should turn off the Windows
Firewall since you are using NIS's firewall. Turn off the Windows
Firewall from its Control Panel applet.

Also, carefully check your settings in NIS. Perhaps it has set a proxy
server or is otherwise blocking you. You should not uninstall SP2. Also
check your smtp settings in your email program. Perhaps you have
"server requires authentication" checked where you shouldn't (or vice
versa).

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers