Sign in with
Your question

Parallels 5 VM for Mac Not Installing - Says Needs Hardware Virtualiza

Last response: in Mac Os X
March 16, 2010 7:40:29 PM

Hi -

I have been trying to install a Virtual Machine on my OSX86 Leopard 10.5.7 install, but failed with all three: Sun Virtual Box gave an unspecified error and refused to install Windows XP, VMWare Fusion gave me kernel panic, and now Parallels 5 says -

Parallels Desktop cannot be installed on your Mac.
Parallels Desktop can be installed only on systems supporting hardware virtualization.

What do I have do to enable hardware virtualization? Or is it something youeither have or you don't?
System spec follows

Thanks for any help :) 

Sony Vaio VGN-NR280E
Mobile Intel 965 Express Family chipset
Intel GMA X3100 Video (QE/CI enabled)
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66MHz T5450 CPUs
4GB PC2-5300 667 DDRII RAM
200GB Fujitsu Fast SATA HDD

...more if you need (NB. Only things not working are Firewire and mic in; ExpressCard slot not tested yet)
March 16, 2010 7:58:07 PM

ptolomy_was_right said:
Hi -

I have been trying to install a Virtual Machine on my OSX86 Leopard 10.5.7 install, but failed with all three: Sun Virtual Box gave an unspecified error and refused to install Windows XP, VMWare Fusion gave me kernel panic, and now Parallels 5 says -

Parallels Desktop cannot be installed on your Mac.
Parallels Desktop can be installed only on systems supporting hardware virtualization.

What do I have do to enable hardware virtualization? Or is it something youeither have or you don't?
System spec follows

Thanks for any help :) 

Sony Vaio VGN-NR280E
Mobile Intel 965 Express Family chipset
Intel GMA X3100 Video (QE/CI enabled)
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66MHz T5450 CPUs
4GB PC2-5300 667 DDRII RAM
200GB Fujitsu Fast SATA HDD

...more if you need (NB. Only things not working are Firewire and mic in; ExpressCard slot not tested yet)

Not all Core 2 processors support hardware virtualization, and I checked intel's site and the T5450 doesn't support it. Looks like your out of luck.
March 17, 2010 2:24:39 PM

casey_souder said:
Not all Core 2 processors support hardware virtualization, and I checked intel's site and the T5450 doesn't support it. Looks like your out of luck.

Damn it. It thought as much. Well after fishing around on other forums apparently, if you use VMWare Workstation in Windows (I have win 7 x64 on the other partition), it's possible to not just install earlier versions of Windows in the VM (I have Win XP Pro in a VM atm just so I can get my old scanners working), but also Leopard/Snow leopard (retail). It's a bit of an onerous task though... not sure I can be bothered as I have a smooth and prety much fully-functional Leopard 10.5.7 on the other partition. Inside VMs OSs run significantly slower.
A MacBook Pro beckons I think...
Related resources
March 25, 2010 7:00:03 PM

They only run noticeably slower if you do not have VT Support, otherwise you will struggle to tell the difference unless you are really maxing it out. Whilst annoying on the Mac Sony took the biscuit by using processors that did have VT support and then disabling it in BIOS.
March 26, 2010 3:16:13 PM

audiovoodoo said:
They only run noticeably slower if you do not have VT Support, otherwise you will struggle to tell the difference unless you are really maxing it out. Whilst annoying on the Mac Sony took the biscuit by using processors that did have VT support and then disabling it in BIOS.

Reckon my processor has VT-x but it's disabled? Will check my BIOS but it's v basic. Should VMWare Fusion work even without VT-x? I think the only reason I got kernel panic with that one was because I tried the Bootcamp option in Fusion and in my install of OSX86 Bootcamp Assistant isn't functional.
!