Windows 7 upgrade???

bigal18

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I currently have vista home premium 64-bit xp media center 32-bit and planning to do a clean install, as if there was nothing on the computer, will I get the same (full) benefits if I buy the windows 7 home premium upgrade, instead of complete, because vista is installed on my computer, and I have xp on the other.

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
the upgrade version is like retail comes with 32 and 64 bit so you can use which one you want you won't be able to use the older os on a machine thou the license goes over to the upgrade version is the difference if you want to use the older os on another pc you might want to go full ? pretty sure

Jonmor68

Distinguished
"planning to do a clean install, as if there was nothing on the computer"
You can do a clean install, but DO NOT format the computer as a previous version is needed for the upgrade, use the custom install option and Windows will put all the files in a folder called Windows.old which you can delete later.

bigal18

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009

Ok, that sounds like something that I am very familiar with, had to do this on vista since the computer came with an os disk. I had to recover it, would not start up. Thank You!!!
P.S.
just got back from serbia, was great!!!

Please carefully re-read the responses you have received in this thread so far regarding you're question. Come back if you have any further legitimate question which has not already been repeatedly answered. Like if playing a 'game' the Retail version will perform better than the upgrade version? Not a legitimate question after reading the prior answers you have been given.

bigal18

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Alright, I have "carefully re-read the posts, and also have looked at many other places and decided to just go with the complete edition of windows 7 home premium, since my xp is not good for gaming, and is kind of old anyway.I don't want to go though too many complications. I am planning to buy windows 7 home premium, a computer case, and motherboard.
This motherboard
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3747315&Sku=M452-6012

It is very good compatability wise, and supports my hardware. But is this motherboard a good overclocker? I have no idea how to tell.
If not, then do you have any other suggestions that are around $120 or less

Any mid tower or full tower case that is about $100 more or less.

Should I install windows 7 before or after installation?

Thank You in advanced, your right "badge" I was asking the same question repeatedly after it was answered repeatedly.

Hardware:
nothing overclocked
cpu: e5200 @2.5 ghz 800mhz 30-32c idle, 33-36c using multiple apps, firefox, microsoft word, listening to music, all at the same time, and 40-44c while playing gta 4 on the stock cooler. Looks like I can overclock like crazy.
ram: 2x2 gb 800mhz
power supply: LSP 550 watt
Motherboard: came with gateway computer, MSI MS-7399 according to one program
and Gateway MS-7399 according to occt. Planning to upgrade anyway
Hard drive: Western digital 640gb, Serial II ata, 7200rpm, 16mb cache
Video Card: 4870 512mb Sapphire, about 45c idle and 60c full load(on crysis and resident evil 5)

something about the ram:
Cas latency: 3 clocks @200 MHz, 4 clocks @266 MHz, 5 clocks @400 MHz