Can't access folder on my lokal computer

Hi!

I would be greatful for any help on the following problem:

BACKGROUND:

I managed to make my WinXP/SP2 Unbootable by installing something called
"IDE Mini driver".
The system just reboots over and over.
I cant reach Windows even if I try booting up in safe mode.

MY UNSUCCESSFUL SOLUTION:

I then mounted another disk as master and installed windows xp on it.
I also installed the "old" disk as slave......

!!! ... and I can access all data on the corrupt (slave) disk - EXCEPT FOR
The data in "Documents and Settings\myAccountXX" !!!
I only get "Access denied"

I remember I made this folder "private" some year ago during creation of a
password for "My Documents"

* Is this a cryptation problem?

* Anyone knows what to do? I know the user / password for the old
problem-account

* If I can't access the onfo using the "slave-disk" concept, could I boot up
from an XP installation-disk and select the repair - option?
My only XP-CD is has no servicepack in it, and the problem-disk has XP SP2

Desperate for help!

//Peter
4 answers Last reply
More about access folder lokal computer

    the documents and settings files belong to the accounts on the old
    installation. to access them from the new installation you must login as an
    administrator and 'take ownership' of them so that you become the new owner
    and can then access them.

    "Peter M" <qumran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I would be greatful for any help on the following problem:
    >
    > BACKGROUND:
    >
    > I managed to make my WinXP/SP2 Unbootable by installing something called
    > "IDE Mini driver".
    > The system just reboots over and over.
    > I cant reach Windows even if I try booting up in safe mode.
    >

    > MY UNSUCCESSFUL SOLUTION:
    >
    > I then mounted another disk as master and installed windows xp on it.
    > I also installed the "old" disk as slave......
    >
    > !!! ... and I can access all data on the corrupt (slave) disk - EXCEPT FOR
    > The data in "Documents and Settings\myAccountXX" !!!
    > I only get "Access denied"
    >
    > I remember I made this folder "private" some year ago during creation of a
    > password for "My Documents"
    >
    > * Is this a cryptation problem?
    >
    > * Anyone knows what to do? I know the user / password for the old
    > problem-account
    >
    > * If I can't access the onfo using the "slave-disk" concept, could I boot
    > up
    > from an XP installation-disk and select the repair - option?
    > My only XP-CD is has no servicepack in it, and the problem-disk has XP SP2
    >

    > Desperate for help!
    >

    > //Peter

    Ok, I forgot to tell that I'm allready logged in as an admin.
    When I right-click on the forbidden folders and selecting properties, I have
    no security-tab like in Windows 2000
    Can I activate this feature in any way?

    "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > the documents and settings files belong to the accounts on the old
    > installation. to access them from the new installation you must login as
    an
    > administrator and 'take ownership' of them so that you become the new
    owner
    > and can then access them.
    >
    > "Peter M" <qumran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I would be greatful for any help on the following problem:
    > >
    > > BACKGROUND:
    > >
    > > I managed to make my WinXP/SP2 Unbootable by installing something called
    > > "IDE Mini driver".
    > > The system just reboots over and over.
    > > I cant reach Windows even if I try booting up in safe mode.
    > >

    > > MY UNSUCCESSFUL SOLUTION:
    > >
    > > I then mounted another disk as master and installed windows xp on it.
    > > I also installed the "old" disk as slave......
    > >
    > > !!! ... and I can access all data on the corrupt (slave) disk - EXCEPT
    FOR
    > > The data in "Documents and Settings\myAccountXX" !!!
    > > I only get "Access denied"
    > >
    > > I remember I made this folder "private" some year ago during creation of
    > > password for "My Documents"
    > >
    > > * Is this a cryptation problem?
    > >
    > > * Anyone knows what to do? I know the user / password for the old
    > > problem-account
    > >
    > > * If I can't access the onfo using the "slave-disk" concept, could I
    boot
    > > up
    > > from an XP installation-disk and select the repair - option?
    > > My only XP-CD is has no servicepack in it, and the problem-disk has XP
    SP2

    > > Desperate for help!
    > >

    > > //Peter

    turn off 'simple file sharing'

    > Ok, I forgot to tell that I'm allready logged in as an admin.
    > When I right-click on the forbidden folders and selecting properties, I
    > have
    > no security-tab like in Windows 2000
    > Can I activate this feature in any way?
    >

    > "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> the documents and settings files belong to the accounts on the old
    >> installation. to access them from the new installation you must login as
    > an
    >> administrator and 'take ownership' of them so that you become the new
    > owner
    >> and can then access them.
    >>
    >> "Peter M" <qumran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi!
    >> >
    >> > I would be greatful for any help on the following problem:
    >> >
    >> > BACKGROUND:
    >> >
    >> > I managed to make my WinXP/SP2 Unbootable by installing something
    >> > called
    >> > "IDE Mini driver".
    >> > The system just reboots over and over.
    >> > I cant reach Windows even if I try booting up in safe mode.
    >> >

    >> > MY UNSUCCESSFUL SOLUTION:
    >> >
    >> > I then mounted another disk as master and installed windows xp on it.
    >> > I also installed the "old" disk as slave......
    >> >
    >> > !!! ... and I can access all data on the corrupt (slave) disk - EXCEPT
    > FOR
    >> > The data in "Documents and Settings\myAccountXX" !!!
    >> > I only get "Access denied"
    >> >
    >> > I remember I made this folder "private" some year ago during creation
    >> > of
    >> > password for "My Documents"
    >> >
    >> > * Is this a cryptation problem?
    >> >
    >> > * Anyone knows what to do? I know the user / password for the old
    >> > problem-account
    >> >
    >> > * If I can't access the onfo using the "slave-disk" concept, could I
    > boot
    >> > up
    >> > from an XP installation-disk and select the repair - option?
    >> > My only XP-CD is has no servicepack in it, and the problem-disk has XP
    > SP2
    >> >

    >> > Desperate for help!
    >> >

    >> > //Peter

    :-) :-)
    Thanks!

    > turn off 'simple file sharing'
    >
    > "Peter M" <qumran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Ok, I forgot to tell that I'm allready logged in as an admin.
    > > When I right-click on the forbidden folders and selecting properties, I
    > > have
    > > no security-tab like in Windows 2000
    > > Can I activate this feature in any way?
    > >

    > > "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >> the documents and settings files belong to the accounts on the old
    > >> installation. to access them from the new installation you must login
    as
    > > an
    > >> administrator and 'take ownership' of them so that you become the new
    > > owner
    > >> and can then access them.
    > >>
    > >> "Peter M" <qumran@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    EXCEPT