Need help with File Permissions

Hi,

I have copied thousands of files from my old XP Pro system drive to a brand
new installed drive of XP Pro. Unfortunately, on my old system all the files
were created under an admin acct.

On my new system, I want to just use the admin acct for installs only and
use the restricted user account for regular work. Unfortunately the
restricted user only has Read Execute permission on all the files. How can I
change this so that the restricted user also has write permission to all of
these data files, but does not have admin privileges.

TIA!

I got help with something similar below under the "cant acces folders on my
local computer" - thread

"malhenry" <malhenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have copied thousands of files from my old XP Pro system drive to a
brand
> new installed drive of XP Pro. Unfortunately, on my old system all the
files
> were created under an admin acct.
>
> On my new system, I want to just use the admin acct for installs only and
> use the restricted user account for regular work. Unfortunately the
> restricted user only has Read Execute permission on all the files. How
can I
> change this so that the restricted user also has write permission to all
of
> these data files, but does not have admin privileges.
>
> TIA!

See Help and Support and search for "take ownership"

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"malhenry" <malhenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04FA503C-7167-41C0-800A-93D3CB993934@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have copied thousands of files from my old XP Pro system drive to a brand
> new installed drive of XP Pro. Unfortunately, on my old system all the files
> were created under an admin acct.
>
> On my new system, I want to just use the admin acct for installs only and
> use the restricted user account for regular work. Unfortunately the
> restricted user only has Read Execute permission on all the files. How can I
> change this so that the restricted user also has write permission to all of
> these data files, but does not have admin privileges.
>
> TIA!

Are you sure this is really the answer? I looked at the link you recommended
which points to article 307874 which is about file sharing to other users in
the network. This is not what I want to do. Its a single box with multiple
users in a workgroup. I want a particular user in the group to have write
access instead of just having the admin have write access.

Thanks.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> See Help and Support and search for "take ownership"
>
> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
>

> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "malhenry" <malhenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04FA503C-7167-41C0-800A-93D3CB993934@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have copied thousands of files from my old XP Pro system drive to a brand
> > new installed drive of XP Pro. Unfortunately, on my old system all the files
> > were created under an admin acct.
> >
> > On my new system, I want to just use the admin acct for installs only and
> > use the restricted user account for regular work. Unfortunately the
> > restricted user only has Read Execute permission on all the files. How can I
> > change this so that the restricted user also has write permission to all of
> > these data files, but does not have admin privileges.
> >
> > TIA!

"malhenry" <malhenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have copied thousands of files from my old XP Pro system drive to a
> brand
> new installed drive of XP Pro. Unfortunately, on my old system all the
> files
> were created under an admin acct.
>
> On my new system, I want to just use the admin acct for installs only and
> use the restricted user account for regular work. Unfortunately the
> restricted user only has Read Execute permission on all the files. How
> can I
> change this so that the restricted user also has write permission to all
> of
> these data files, but does not have admin privileges.
>
> TIA!

Even if you are not using file sharing you have to turn off simple file
sharing. Then you will have access to all the permissions settings.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303248

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290403

Kerry

Ah, sorry, misread your intent. In addition to the below, specifically add the Restricted user, by username and grant the permissions you want.

XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874