still have remote command problems

May 5, 2005 11:31:01 AM

Still trying to get remote commands to work.

A simple case: (two XPSP2 machines on a LAN, call them alpha and beta)

From alpha: shutdown -s -m \\beta gives "Access is denied."

Same message when giving shutdown from beta to alpha.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to fix or understand this problem?

Thank you.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 12:36:18 PM

It's permissions. You have to have Admin rights on the target machine.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 4:47:05 PM

Thanks for the response. I do have admin rights on the target machine (at
least I should have.) I have admin rights for the same login name (mine) on
both machines. How else do I get it to recognize my admin rights??

"C1ph3rZ" <C1ph3r.z@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It's permissions. You have to have Admin rights on the target machine.

May 10, 2005 5:10:09 PM

if you can read the administrator group on the box you have admin access.
also if you can do a star>run \\machinename\c$ sucessfully you are admin.

I use psshutdown from sysinternals.com. Great tool.

!