still have remote command problems

Still trying to get remote commands to work.

A simple case: (two XPSP2 machines on a LAN, call them alpha and beta)

From alpha: shutdown -s -m \\beta gives "Access is denied."

Same message when giving shutdown from beta to alpha.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to fix or understand this problem?

Thank you.

It's permissions. You have to have Admin rights on the target machine.

Thanks for the response. I do have admin rights on the target machine (at
least I should have.) I have admin rights for the same login name (mine) on
both machines. How else do I get it to recognize my admin rights??

"C1ph3rZ" <C1ph3r.z@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It's permissions. You have to have Admin rights on the target machine.

Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001

if you can read the administrator group on the box you have admin access.
also if you can do a star>run \\machinename\c$ sucessfully you are admin.

I use psshutdown from sysinternals.com. Great tool.