still have remote command problems

Still trying to get remote commands to work.

A simple case: (two XPSP2 machines on a LAN, call them alpha and beta)

From alpha: shutdown -s -m \\beta gives "Access is denied."

Same message when giving shutdown from beta to alpha.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to fix or understand this problem?

Thank you.
3 answers Last reply
More about still remote command problems

    It's permissions. You have to have Admin rights on the target machine.

    Thanks for the response. I do have admin rights on the target machine (at
    least I should have.) I have admin rights for the same login name (mine) on
    both machines. How else do I get it to recognize my admin rights??

    "C1ph3rZ" <C1ph3r.z@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > It's permissions. You have to have Admin rights on the target machine.

    if you can read the administrator group on the box you have admin access.
    also if you can do a star>run \\machinename\c$ sucessfully you are admin.

    I use psshutdown from sysinternals.com. Great tool.

    "Marsha" wrote:

    > Thanks for the response. I do have admin rights on the target machine (at
    > least I should have.) I have admin rights for the same login name (mine) on
    > both machines. How else do I get it to recognize my admin rights??
    >

    > "C1ph3rZ" <C1ph3r.z@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > It's permissions. You have to have Admin rights on the target machine.

Command Prompt Shutdown Windows XP