Two AIW questions...

Just got a 9800Pro AIW and quite like it except for one thing: ATIMMC's
TV component has a nasty tendency to lock up and become unkillable
(WinXP Pro w/SP2), and most apps launched after the TV is started suffer
the same fate, requiring a hard reset. This happened with the supplied
CD install, and continues even with the Catalyst and Multimedia Center
packages updated to the latest.

The TV display DOES work fine in other apps (Vegas Capture, SnapStream
BeyondTV, etc.) and none of the other MMC components - DVD, VideoCD -
have any issues... only the TV portion, and the TV Listings, which opens
the tuner as well.

My only thought is maybe some junk got left behind from my old Rage128
AIW, but I did a complete uninstall of the MMC and the drivers of that
card...

Second question: is there any way to use the S/PDIF output for regular
audio? All my system's audio runs through a USB Soundblaster Extigy,
which has developed a nasty 60Hz hum on the line input (it even does it
with nothing plugged in there, so I know it's not a ground loop with the
line-in from the Radeon). If I could just use the Radeon's S/PDIF out
directly to the Extigy's S/PDIF in, it would be happy :)

TIA...

Jez

Matt Ion wrote:
> Just got a 9800Pro AIW and quite like it except for one thing: ATIMMC's
> TV component has a nasty tendency to lock up and become unkillable
> (WinXP Pro w/SP2), and most apps launched after the TV is started suffer
> the same fate, requiring a hard reset. This happened with the supplied
> CD install, and continues even with the Catalyst and Multimedia Center
> packages updated to the latest.

Hmmm............

Just got myself an AIW9800pro.........(To replace the 9700pro I seem to
have killed)...
Using the 4.11 Cats..MMC9.3..(Or what ever it's called!), WinXP SP2..no
problems...
(Touch wood).........

But...when in 'record' mode, if I try to access my network ...the
capture does crash...
.........hardly surprising really ! The Tv does take a lot of CPU
power...I usually open the apps I'm gonna use..then launch the MMC TV....

Only running a 2.8Ghz P4 with 1.5Gb ram....ho hum !

> The TV display DOES work fine in other apps (Vegas Capture, SnapStream
> BeyondTV, etc.) and none of the other MMC components - DVD, VideoCD -
> have any issues... only the TV portion, and the TV Listings, which opens
> the tuner as well.
>
> My only thought is maybe some junk got left behind from my old Rage128
> AIW, but I did a complete uninstall of the MMC and the drivers of that
> card...
>
> Second question: is there any way to use the S/PDIF output for regular
> audio?

Urmm............. S/PDIF out-put from the 9800? Not noticed that, where ?

>All my system's audio runs through a USB Soundblaster Extigy,
> which has developed a nasty 60Hz hum on the line input (it even does it
> with nothing plugged in there, so I know it's not a ground loop with the
> line-in from the Radeon). If I could just use the Radeon's S/PDIF out
> directly to the Extigy's S/PDIF in, it would be happy :)

If there was a S/PDIF out on the radeon....couldn't find one.
But, who knows where a 60Hz hum comes from....they do turn up......

Ho hum

--
Jez
'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable

Skype callto://hellward
NFS Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit 2, Underground.
Yeowww

Jez wrote:

>> Second question: is there any way to use the S/PDIF output for regular
>> audio?
>

> Urmm............. S/PDIF out-put from the 9800? Not noticed that, where ?

Well on mine at least, both output breakouts have it - the standard
cable has Mini-DIN jack (S-video out), 1/8" TRS plug (audio line out),
yellow RCA jack (composite video out), and black RCA jack (S/PDIF audio
out). The component breakout breakout is similar: 1/8" TRS plug (line
audio out), red/green/blue RCA jacks (component video out), and orange
RCA jack (S/PDIF audio out).

The manual even shows it connected to an AC3 surround receiver (page
21/22 in my copy, right near the end of Chapter 2, Installing the
Hardware and Software.

Jez

Matt Ion wrote:
> Jez wrote:
>
>>> Second question: is there any way to use the S/PDIF output for
>>> regular audio?
>>

>> Urmm............. S/PDIF out-put from the 9800? Not noticed that, where ?
>

> Well on mine at least, both output breakouts have it - the standard
> cable has Mini-DIN jack (S-video out), 1/8" TRS plug (audio line out),
> yellow RCA jack (composite video out), and black RCA jack (S/PDIF audio
> out). The component breakout breakout is similar: 1/8" TRS plug (line
> audio out), red/green/blue RCA jacks (component video out), and orange
> RCA jack (S/PDIF audio out).
>
> The manual even shows it connected to an AC3 surround receiver (page
> 21/22 in my copy, right near the end of Chapter 2, Installing the
> Hardware and Software.

Ahh ha ! Yes indeed ! Found it...so much spaghetti behind my PC I
missed it.
Thanks !

--
Jez
'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable
notion that you should base your actions on reality, you are too often
led to accept, without much questioning, someone else's version of what
that reality is. It is a crucial act of independent thinking to be
skeptical of someone else's description of reality.'-
Howard Zinn

Skype callto://hellward
NFS Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit 2, Underground.
Yeowww

There is a problem with a Microsoft component called "Stream.sys" when
used with Hyperthreaded CPUs and some ATI cards. This mostly impacts
the TV Wonder Pro, but can sometimes impact AIW's as well. There is a
Microsoft KB article on it, and a fixed version of Stream.sys. Search
the MS knowledgebase for it.

Jez wrote:

> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>> Just got a 9800Pro AIW and quite like it except for one thing:
>> ATIMMC's TV component has a nasty tendency to lock up and become
>> unkillable (WinXP Pro w/SP2), and most apps launched after the TV is
>> started suffer the same fate, requiring a hard reset. This happened
>> with the supplied CD install, and continues even with the Catalyst and
>> Multimedia Center packages updated to the latest.
>

> Hmmm............
>
> Just got myself an AIW9800pro.........(To replace the 9700pro I seem to
> have killed)...
> Using the 4.11 Cats..MMC9.3..(Or what ever it's called!), WinXP SP2..no
> problems...
> (Touch wood).........
>
> But...when in 'record' mode, if I try to access my network ...the
> capture does crash...
> ........hardly surprising really ! The Tv does take a lot of CPU
> power...I usually open the apps I'm gonna use..then launch the MMC TV....
>
> Only running a 2.8Ghz P4 with 1.5Gb ram....ho hum !
>

>> The TV display DOES work fine in other apps (Vegas Capture, SnapStream
>> BeyondTV, etc.) and none of the other MMC components - DVD, VideoCD -
>> have any issues... only the TV portion, and the TV Listings, which
>> opens the tuner as well.
>>
>> My only thought is maybe some junk got left behind from my old Rage128
>> AIW, but I did a complete uninstall of the MMC and the drivers of that
>> card...
>>
>> Second question: is there any way to use the S/PDIF output for regular
>> audio?
>

> Urmm............. S/PDIF out-put from the 9800? Not noticed that, where ?
>

>> All my system's audio runs through a USB Soundblaster Extigy, which
>> has developed a nasty 60Hz hum on the line input (it even does it with
>> nothing plugged in there, so I know it's not a ground loop with the
>> line-in from the Radeon). If I could just use the Radeon's S/PDIF out
>> directly to the Extigy's S/PDIF in, it would be happy :)
>

> If there was a S/PDIF out on the radeon....couldn't find one.
> But, who knows where a 60Hz hum comes from....they do turn up......
>
> Ho hum

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I don't have the exact same card, I have the AIW 9000, but mine also
has S/PDIF output and I would also like to know if I can use this to
output all audio from my system - I have read that it will only output
the sound from the ATI DVD player program, but there has to be some
driver or something that will let me output all my audio there; I never
play DVDs on my computer so, as far as I know, this plug is useless to
me.

Any input would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan wrote:

> I don't have the exact same card, I have the AIW 9000, but mine also
> has S/PDIF output and I would also like to know if I can use this to
> output all audio from my system - I have read that it will only output
> the sound from the ATI DVD player program, but there has to be some
> driver or something that will let me output all my audio there; I never
> play DVDs on my computer so, as far as I know, this plug is useless to
> me.

That output is normally fed into the sound board. If you want all the sound
on your system to go to an S/PDIF output, you need to find an nforce2
motherboard with Soundstorm.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Barry Watzman wrote:
> There is a problem with a Microsoft component called "Stream.sys" when
> used with Hyperthreaded CPUs and some ATI cards. This mostly impacts
> the TV Wonder Pro, but can sometimes impact AIW's as well. There is a
> Microsoft KB article on it, and a fixed version of Stream.sys. Search
> the MS knowledgebase for it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817589

But since Matt is running SP2 it shouldn't be necessary. As I read it the
fix should be in the latest service pack

David

David T. Metz wrote:

> Barry Watzman wrote:
>
>>There is a problem with a Microsoft component called "Stream.sys" when
>>used with Hyperthreaded CPUs and some ATI cards. This mostly impacts
>>the TV Wonder Pro, but can sometimes impact AIW's as well. There is a
>>Microsoft KB article on it, and a fixed version of Stream.sys. Search
>>the MS knowledgebase for it.
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817589
>
> But since Matt is running SP2 it shouldn't be necessary. As I read it the
> fix should be in the latest service pack

Yeah, anything related I could find only applied to XP with SP1...

The weird thing is, I had it running cleanly for hours last night, with
the TV desktop (TV app minimized) AND TV fullscreen on a secondary NTSC
monitor via the composite output (Catalyst Theater Mode). So it seems
to just be the TV app in windowed mode, as other apps that use the tuner
run it fine in a window.