getting dropped

Jim

Using XP, Laptop with built-in Wireless adapter and Linksys wireless router. I can connect to my network fine, but I'm always getting pop-ups about new wireless connections(my neighbors) and it drops me from my own network. Most of the time, I can re-connect, but sometime I have to reboot to re-connect. I've tried checking & unchecking "have windows manage" but nothing seems to work. IS this something that I have to wait for SP2, or is there something I can do now?

bar

10 Quick Wireless LAN Security tips that may be of huge benefit for you:

Change the default Admin password on your Access Point (this includes the webinterface)
Change your default SSID (network name)
Disable the SSID broadcast option
Change the default username/password of your wireless Access Point
Enable MAC address filtering
Turn off DHCP
Refrain from using the default subnet
Use the highest level of WEP/WPA(2)
Firewall your Wireless Network segment
Encrypt your wireless traffic using a VPN

Jim

is this a security issue? I've tried most of the options below, haven't tried DHCP off or VPN. Whenever my laptop picks up a new wireless network(even though it is not in the preferred networks), it will drop me. I have another laptop that uses Linksys wireless adapter, along with the Linksys software, to connect to the access point,,,never getting dropped. It seems more of a issue on how XP manages the different wireless networks it sees.

Robert

right click your NIC click view available networks
click the ADVANCE button
there should be to lists here, in the bottom list click your AP and move it up.
click the refresh button.
close

Jim

i only have my network in the AP list, but stil get dropped whenever my XP detects a new Wireless Network. Is this something that can be fixed or is this something tht has to wait until SP2 comes out?

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:51:02 -0700, jim <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Using XP, Laptop with built-in Wireless adapter and Linksys wireless router. I can connect to my network fine, but I'm always getting pop-ups about new wireless connections(my neighbors) and it drops me from my own network. Most of the time, I can re-connect, but sometime I have to reboot to re-connect. I've tried checking & unchecking "have windows manage" but nothing seems to work. IS this something that I have to wait for SP2, or is there something I can do now?

Jim,

<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wifisoho.mspx>
<http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811427>

1) Enable your SSID broadcast.
2) Disable "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks".

Cheers,
Chuck