Limit The Computer Time

May 6, 2005 2:02:10 PM

does anybody know how to limit user's time, does windows can do that, i try
some third party software,but they are bad,just few step can terminate.pls
sugesst me how to do it.thanks

More about : limit computer time

May 6, 2005 2:14:16 PM

Shingooooo wrote:

> does anybody know how to limit user's time, does windows can do that,
> i try some third party software,but they are bad,just few step can
> terminate.pls sugesst me how to do it.thanks

Here is information from MVP Kelly Theriot. Note that you will need XP
Pro:

Click Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC Go to Computer Configuration,
Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options.
In the right pane, locate the entry for Network Security: Force logoff
when logon hours expire.

Examples of setting the logon hours would be: You can set them for 24
hours.

Or go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: (use as an example and modify)

net user kelly /time:M-F,08:00-17:00
net user kelly /time:M-F,8am-5pm
net user kelly /time:M,4am-5pm;T,1pm-3pm;W-F,8:00-17:00

To cancel and/or clear: Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: (Use as an
example) net user Kelly /time:all

Since XP Home doesn't have the Group Policy Editor available, you would
need third-party software to do this. Kelly had this information about
using third-party software:

1st Security Center is a powerful security utility that allows you to
restrict access to Windows important resources:
http://www.1securitycenter.com/sc/index.html

WatchDog 8.3 is the ultimate application to restrict and monitor the
time that you or others spend on the computer. Each user can have their
timing period based on daily, weekly, monthly or unlimited. WatchDog's
security measures block out unauthorized access completely:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Lockdown/WatchDog...

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Note, this does not force the user to log off. It will prevent them from logging on outside of their assigned times, but it will not force a log off.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message news:o 1dPJ8lUFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Shingooooo wrote:
>
>> does anybody know how to limit user's time, does windows can do that,
>> i try some third party software,but they are bad,just few step can
>> terminate.pls sugesst me how to do it.thanks
>
> Here is information from MVP Kelly Theriot. Note that you will need XP
> Pro:
>
> Click Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC Go to Computer Configuration,
> Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options.
> In the right pane, locate the entry for Network Security: Force logoff
> when logon hours expire.
>
> Examples of setting the logon hours would be: You can set them for 24
> hours.
>
> Or go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: (use as an example and modify)
>
> net user kelly /time:M-F,08:00-17:00
> net user kelly /time:M-F,8am-5pm
> net user kelly /time:M,4am-5pm;T,1pm-3pm;W-F,8:00-17:00
>
> To cancel and/or clear: Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: (Use as an
> example) net user Kelly /time:all
>
> Since XP Home doesn't have the Group Policy Editor available, you would
> need third-party software to do this. Kelly had this information about
> using third-party software:
>
> 1st Security Center is a powerful security utility that allows you to
> restrict access to Windows important resources:
> http://www.1securitycenter.com/sc/index.html
>
> WatchDog 8.3 is the ultimate application to restrict and monitor the
> time that you or others spend on the computer. Each user can have their
> timing period based on daily, weekly, monthly or unlimited. WatchDog's
> security measures block out unauthorized access completely:
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Lockdown/WatchDog...
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Related resources
May 7, 2005 2:53:18 PM

Malke wrote:
|| Shingooooo wrote:
||| does anybody know how to limit user's time, does windows can do
||| that, i try some third party software,but they are bad,just few
||| step can terminate.pls sugesst me how to do it.thanks
|| Here is information from MVP Kelly Theriot. Note that you will need
|| XP Pro:
|| Click Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC Go to Computer Configuration,
|| Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security
|| Options. In the right pane, locate the entry for Network Security:
|| Force logoff when logon hours expire.

That's OK, but where do you set the time, other than using the command line?

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

You don't, and as I pointed out, this will not force a user to log off when their time expires.

"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message news:%23wSkNsuUFHA.2540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Malke wrote:
> || Here is information from MVP Kelly Theriot. Note that you will need
> || XP Pro:
> || Click Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC Go to Computer Configuration,
> || Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security
> || Options. In the right pane, locate the entry for Network Security:
> || Force logoff when logon hours expire.
>
> That's OK, but where do you set the time, other than using the command line?
>
> --
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

May 7, 2005 6:50:46 PM

Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
| You don't, and as I pointed out, this will not force a user to log
| off when their time expires.

Thanks - I inferred from the original reply that there was a way other than
the command line to set the time.

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk