Limit The Computer Time

does anybody know how to limit user's time, does windows can do that, i try
some third party software,but they are bad,just few step can terminate.pls
sugesst me how to do it.thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about limit computer time

    Shingooooo wrote:

    > does anybody know how to limit user's time, does windows can do that,
    > i try some third party software,but they are bad,just few step can
    > terminate.pls sugesst me how to do it.thanks

    Here is information from MVP Kelly Theriot. Note that you will need XP
    Pro:

    Click Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC Go to Computer Configuration,
    Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options.
    In the right pane, locate the entry for Network Security: Force logoff
    when logon hours expire.

    Examples of setting the logon hours would be: You can set them for 24
    hours.

    Or go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: (use as an example and modify)

    net user kelly /time:M-F,08:00-17:00
    net user kelly /time:M-F,8am-5pm
    net user kelly /time:M,4am-5pm;T,1pm-3pm;W-F,8:00-17:00

    To cancel and/or clear: Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: (Use as an
    example) net user Kelly /time:all

    Since XP Home doesn't have the Group Policy Editor available, you would
    need third-party software to do this. Kelly had this information about
    using third-party software:

    1st Security Center is a powerful security utility that allows you to
    restrict access to Windows important resources:
    http://www.1securitycenter.com/sc/index.html

    WatchDog 8.3 is the ultimate application to restrict and monitor the
    time that you or others spend on the computer. Each user can have their
    timing period based on daily, weekly, monthly or unlimited. WatchDog's
    security measures block out unauthorized access completely:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Lockdown/WatchDog.shtml

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Note, this does not force the user to log off. It will prevent them from logging on outside of their assigned times, but it will not force a log off.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    Malke wrote:
    || Shingooooo wrote:
    ||| does anybody know how to limit user's time, does windows can do
    ||| that, i try some third party software,but they are bad,just few
    ||| step can terminate.pls sugesst me how to do it.thanks
    || Here is information from MVP Kelly Theriot. Note that you will need
    || XP Pro:
    || Click Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC Go to Computer Configuration,
    || Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security
    || Options. In the right pane, locate the entry for Network Security:
    || Force logoff when logon hours expire.

    That's OK, but where do you set the time, other than using the command line?

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    You don't, and as I pointed out, this will not force a user to log off when their time expires.

    Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
    | You don't, and as I pointed out, this will not force a user to log
    | off when their time expires.

    Thanks - I inferred from the original reply that there was a way other than
    the command line to set the time.

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk