shawk

This months is worth getting if you're interested in Stalker, Splinter
Cell or Age of Empires series. Couple of pages of information and
pictures from each - all look worth exploring further.

Usual disclaimer of course - I am not liable if you read and then
believe reviews in these magazines. I recommend purely for information
and for something to do while sitting on the toilet.

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Shawk wrote:
> This months is worth getting if you're interested in Stalker, Splinter
> Cell or Age of Empires series. Couple of pages of information and
> pictures from each - all look worth exploring further.
>
> Usual disclaimer of course - I am not liable if you read and then
> believe reviews in these magazines. I recommend purely for
> information and for something to do while sitting on the toilet.

I saw the STALKER cover, and read the carefully-worded outside of the sealed
bag. It's not a review, and probably nothing more than you can already read
online (unless you tell us differently ;) ). I'll wait until somebody actually
reviews it before paying the ridiculous cover price that games magazines are
now. Then again, I have already pre-ordered the game for £17.99 from Play.com
:)

PCZone is reviewing Brothers in Arms and Republic Commando next issue, and IIRC
they'll have playable demos. I'll be getting that one :)

--
Paul

shawk

Paul Catley wrote:
> Shawk wrote:
>
>>This months is worth getting if you're interested in Stalker, Splinter
>>Cell or Age of Empires series. Couple of pages of information and
>>pictures from each - all look worth exploring further.
>>
>>Usual disclaimer of course - I am not liable if you read and then
>>believe reviews in these magazines. I recommend purely for
>>information and for something to do while sitting on the toilet.
>

> I saw the STALKER cover, and read the carefully-worded outside of the sealed
> bag. It's not a review, and probably nothing more than you can already read
> online (unless you tell us differently ;) ). I'll wait until somebody actually
> reviews it before paying the ridiculous cover price that games magazines are
> now. Then again, I have already pre-ordered the game for £17.99 from Play.com
> :)
>
> PCZone is reviewing Brothers in Arms and Republic Commando next issue, and IIRC
> they'll have playable demos. I'll be getting that one :)
>
> --
> Paul

Yeah but PCGamer have an 'exclusive' HL2 demo on the disk :)

Nope - not a full review. They did play the game for a while and are
giving first impressions of that. Of the visuals for example which they
say exceed HL2 and D3. Most of it however is around the AI or
artificial life as they call it. Everythings going on with it's
business whether you are there or not. Everything is driven by it's own
internal requirements (food etc). Animals hunting, patrols well...
patrolling, other stalkers looking for artifacts, food, shelter. All
unscripted.

It's an interesting article but not worth the cover price unless you are
also interested in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Age of Empires III,
Riddick and Final Fantasy reviews etc. There's also a few articles on
the latest HL2 mods and lots of brief articles on COD and UT mods. Some
info on new CS: Source maps and a (simplistic) tutorial for building a
HL2 deathmatch level. If you already have half and idea then this is
below you. If you haven't got a clue (like me) then it will come in
userful if you have the time to have a go.

There is of course loads of adverts.

I do NOT work for PCGamer - you asked. :)

--

Shawk wrote:

> Nope - not a full review. They did play the game for a while and are
> giving first impressions of that. Of the visuals for example which
> they say exceed HL2 and D3. Most of it however is around the AI or
> artificial life as they call it. Everythings going on with it's
> business whether you are there or not. Everything is driven by it's
> own internal requirements (food etc). Animals hunting, patrols
> well... patrolling, other stalkers looking for artifacts, food,
> shelter. All unscripted.

I expect most of us who are interested in the game already know this much. What
we really want to know is whether it works, and whether it's fun. I'm a little
concerned about a game that goes on without me. With my lengthy gaps between
playing sessions, I might return to it to find the area had been cleaned up and
developed into an amusement park :(

> It's an interesting article but not worth the cover price unless you
> are also interested in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Age of Empires
> III, Riddick and Final Fantasy reviews etc. There's also a few
> articles on the latest HL2 mods and lots of brief articles on COD and
> UT mods. Some info on new CS: Source maps and a (simplistic)
> tutorial for building a HL2 deathmatch level. If you already have
> half and idea then this is below you. If you haven't got a clue
> (like me) then it will come in userful if you have the time to have a
> go.
>
> There is of course loads of adverts.
>
> I do NOT work for PCGamer - you asked. :)

And a very thorough rundown it was too, thanks :) I'm not interested in the
other featured games, nor what's on the cover disc, so I'll wait for a review
issue, ta.

--
Paul

shawk

Paul Catley wrote:
> Shawk wrote:
>
>>Nope - not a full review. They did play the game for a while and are
>>giving first impressions of that. Of the visuals for example which
>>they say exceed HL2 and D3. Most of it however is around the AI or
>>artificial life as they call it. Everythings going on with it's
>>business whether you are there or not. Everything is driven by it's
>>own internal requirements (food etc). Animals hunting, patrols
>>well... patrolling, other stalkers looking for artifacts, food,
>>shelter. All unscripted.
>

> I expect most of us who are interested in the game already know this much. What
> we really want to know is whether it works, and whether it's fun. I'm a little
> concerned about a game that goes on without me. With my lengthy gaps between
> playing sessions, I might return to it to find the area had been cleaned up and
> developed into an amusement park :(

Lol. In another part of the mag the Stalker dev team at GSC have spoken
about some of the glitches they are still trying to iron out. In one
the NPC saw himself as an enemy and decided to take out the only part of
the 'enemy' he could see - unloaded two clips into his own foot before
dying. :)

>>It's an interesting article but not worth the cover price unless you
>>are also interested in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Age of Empires
>>III, Riddick and Final Fantasy reviews etc. There's also a few
>>articles on the latest HL2 mods and lots of brief articles on COD and
>>UT mods. Some info on new CS: Source maps and a (simplistic)
>>tutorial for building a HL2 deathmatch level. If you already have
>>half and idea then this is below you. If you haven't got a clue
>>(like me) then it will come in userful if you have the time to have a
>>go.
>>
>>There is of course loads of adverts.
>>
>>I do NOT work for PCGamer - you asked. :)
>

> And a very thorough rundown it was too, thanks :) I'm not interested in the
> other featured games, nor what's on the cover disc, so I'll wait for a review
> issue, ta.
>
> --
> Paul

Damn - that's my commission gone :)

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

Shawk wrote:
> Lol. In another part of the mag the Stalker dev team at GSC have
> spoken about some of the glitches they are still trying to iron out.
> In one the NPC saw himself as an enemy and decided to take out the
> only part of the 'enemy' he could see - unloaded two clips into his
> own foot before dying. :)

ROFL

strider

Shawk proclaimed...

> This months is worth getting if you're interested in Stalker, Splinter
> Cell or Age of Empires series. Couple of pages of information and
> pictures from each - all look worth exploring further.
>
> Usual disclaimer of course - I am not liable if you read and then
> believe reviews in these magazines. I recommend purely for information
> and for something to do while sitting on the toilet.

Interesting. They're both due in April according to spong.com (which is
often right)

Looking forward to both.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

"You are a clever imitation of life... Can a robot
write a symphony? Can a robot take a blank canvas and
turn it into a masterpiece?"
"Can you?"