iPhone 4S Gets Teardown, Only 512MB of RAM Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Probably just doesn't need any more. iOS software is lean. Hardly takes any RAM to run it, so everything else left is plenty for apps. Most tablets don't have more than 512mb.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
So wait, the iPhone 4S is a more COMPACT version of the iPad 2? Maybe when the iPad 3 comes out, we can just assume similar hardware for the iPhone 5?

I really want to know just how the hell SIRI works. Where are all of its answers stored? To be honest, I was really wanting to get a DROID very soon, but after seeing SIRI and finding out that it's superior to anything that works with the Android OS, I don't know what to do. I REALLY don't want the iPhone 4S, not just because I'm not a fan of Apple, but I'm in a 4G area, and the iPhone 4S is not 4G.

Then again, we haven't seen Android Ice Cream Sandwich, yet. Makes me wonder.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Slap a new name on it, make a few minor changes, charge 2x as much as the previous generation iCrap, and the Apple droids will flock to the stores and buy them in record numbers.... >_>

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]So wait, the iPhone 4S is a more COMPACT version of the iPad 2? Maybe when the iPad 3 comes out, we can just assume similar hardware for the iPhone 5?I really want to know just how the hell SIRI works. Where are all of its answers stored? To be honest, I was really wanting to get a DROID very soon, but after seeing SIRI and finding out that it's superior to anything that works with the Android OS, I don't know what to do. I REALLY don't want the iPhone 4S, not just because I'm not a fan of Apple, but I'm in a 4G area, and the iPhone 4S is not 4G.Then again, we haven't seen Android Ice Cream Sandwich, yet. Makes me wonder.[/citation]No no no no, you got it all wrong! The iPad is the one who is a bigger version of the iPhone! Remember those funny photos of Steve Jobs holding 4 iPhones holded by a masking tape back when the iPad was announced?..... yeah.

jiangyi

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]So wait, the iPhone 4S is a more COMPACT version of the iPad 2? Maybe when the iPad 3 comes out, we can just assume similar hardware for the iPhone 5?I really want to know just how the hell SIRI works. Where are all of its answers stored? To be honest, I was really wanting to get a DROID very soon, but after seeing SIRI and finding out that it's superior to anything that works with the Android OS, I don't know what to do. I REALLY don't want the iPhone 4S, not just because I'm not a fan of Apple, but I'm in a 4G area, and the iPhone 4S is not 4G.Then again, we haven't seen Android Ice Cream Sandwich, yet. Makes me wonder.[/citation]

SIRI works the same way as Google's voice search. It sends what you say to a server, and the server does all the hard lifting of understanding you and giving a response. Apple just took it to the next step by adding a text-to-speech component and having it talk to you in the end.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]jiangyi[/nom]SIRI works the same way as Google's voice search. It sends what you say to a server, and the server does all the hard lifting of understanding you and giving a response. Apple just took it to the next step by adding a text-to-speech component and having it talk to you in the end.[/citation]

So wait, if you're offline, SIRI doesn't even work?! LMAO!!! :lol:

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
From using the iphone 4, 512MB memory is not enough if you like multitasking larger apps, especially the web browser.

While the iOS is leaner than the android OS, (and significantly leaner than the webOS, You still run into limitations with the amount of memory and the lack of virtual memory.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Nothing that can fit into the palm of your hand need more than 512MB RAM. Sure, it may seem better on paper, but in reality it just sucks up battery and the extra RAM would just stay unused. Nothing you can do on your iPhone would realistically suck up more than 512MB.

docken02

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Typical of Apple. It's more about the bottom line than it is for improving performance. Look at how long they took to update the Macbook Air line from Core 2 Duo to the Intel Sandy Bridge i-series line. Apple should not be able to get away with this insanity.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Hmm...Apple is building a product that is over-hyped and underpowered and then telling us it's the best one going just because it's the shiniest?

Never seen them do that before. (oh wait, yes I have. Anyone look at the specs for the MacBook Air?)

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]SmileyTPB1[/nom]Hmm...Apple is building a product that is over-hyped and underpowered and then telling us it's the best one going just because it's the shiniest?Never seen them do that before. (oh wait, yes I have. Anyone look at the specs for the MacBook Air?)[/citation]

Yeah, the MacBook Air is horribly underpowered. Especially given all the better competition that's so much faster.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
has anyone ran into lagitimate ram problems with ipad 2? i use one, dont own one, and i never ran into one.

and yea, its amaseing how little people know YOU DONT NEED THAT MUCH RAM, its a mobile device, more ram sucks the already crappy battery even more. its not a desktop where you can cram 16-32gb of ram into it and have very little extra power used, its a mobile device where every watt counts.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Just looking for something to bitch about. Typical sheeple. Good job Apple, you yet again amaze the masses with your below average hardware and AWESOME usability. Sounds like they know what they are doing.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
You know they nerfed the clock-speed down to 800 mhz, too. Anyway, I will continue to enjoy my 1 GHz dual-core Atrix 4G with 1GB of RAM which I got for free with my contract and has been out for 8 months now.

The less we talk about Apple the faster they will go away.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]jiangyi[/nom]SIRI works the same way as Google's voice search. It sends what you say to a server, and the server does all the hard lifting of understanding you and giving a response. Apple just took it to the next step by adding a text-to-speech component and having it talk to you in the end.[/citation]
Siri does not work at all like Google's voice search. The ignorance of people who constantly say things like "Android/Google had this for a long time" is amazing.

I thought Tom's readers were tech savvy, yet they don't understand anything about what Siri is.

As for the amount of RAM, did everyone on Tom's forget how much RAM older computers had and the very usable software that ran on them? So many modern programmers are just plain lazy and don't bother to write compact, efficient code.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Probably just doesn't need any more. iOS software is lean. Hardly takes any RAM to run it, so everything else left is plenty for apps. Most tablets don't have more than 512mb.[/citation]

That's cause iOS only runs one thing at a time. If it was a true multitasker, the iP(hone, ad, od) would choke and die a horrible death.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]That's cause iOS only runs one thing at a time. If it was a true multitasker, the iP(hone, ad, od) would choke and die a horrible death.[/citation]
...because it only has 512mb of RAM or because its made by Apple?

Status
Not open for further replies.